Menu

If your dc is *very* 2E, did you grade retain/adjust?

PeterPan

Grade adjust/retain or age-grade with 2E?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If your dc has a very large spread between cognitive and skills, did you:

• Call them by their age grade, and after a number of years it all came together
    • Call them by their age grade, then after a few years realize it was a HORRIBLE MISTAKE, wasn't going to work out, and grade adjusted
    • Grade adjust preemptively
    • Not grade adjust but it never worked out and you totally kick yourself
    • Toss the system of grades and give your kid a rogue answer to the perpetual social question
    • Something else I haven't thought of

So then for her transcript you listed all 5 years of work or just the last 4?  

We ended up mostly listing the last four years, though I think I included health from an earlier year. We arranged her transcript by subject and didn't list years. Did it that way, too, for my oldest who graduated at the typical time.

The giftedness means he's already working ABOVE grade level in several areas.  

Holding him back even further because he had dyslexia wasn't even on my radar!

That's the chief blessing of homeschooling a 2E; (within reason, of course) you can adjust work as necessary and call it ALL by grade level. ;)

Yes, this is what's getting us, the fall b-day PLUS the SN.  It feels like you've already held him back (my ds misses the cutoff by a month) and then you add another year to it.  He'll literally be 19 for the majority of his senior year. Does that bug you at all?  Is it just a non-issue, the fall b-day making them older already and then the grade adjustment on top of it?  Does it raise eyebrows or cause problems?  How do you have him answer the social questions?  And what do you use then for camp, social activities, church, etc.?

All of the above, lol! 

Ok, dd missed the cutoff by 28 days, so was already a year "behind" in K, like your ds, although clearly bright. She did fine with her age/grade until 4th grade, she hit a wall. I held her back in 4th grade although she had been evaluated in 3rd and would have qualified for an IEP had she not been homeschooled. She was actually all for the decision at the time.

When checking out charter schools for middle/high school, one of the schools mentioned she would not have been held back for her issues, modifications/accommodations would have been made for her grade level. They suggested that beginning of middle or high school would be the time to adjust her grade to her age, and use the accommodations stipulated in the IEP.

I did that this year. She was in 7th grade charter school last year, and I brought her home for 9th. It is a good decision for us. I'm finding her only real issue is math, and prealgebra is still offered in 9th grade public schools, so I have no qualms about her taking prealgebra (repeating) at home. Everything else is fine, although we'll need to figure out what science to do next year since she needs algebra to do chemistry. 

Having said that, I graduated at 19 (December birthday), I only remember it being a fleeting thought at the time. It was becoming an issue for dd for some reason. She had her friends (mostly public-schooled) thinking she was a year behind although she's in the the 9th (just turned 15 on Sunday). I explained the age cutoff thing, so she's fine with it. It would have been a lot harder for her socially had she been 15 and in the 8th. But, she's a girl. It might be different for boys.

I'd hold off calling him any grade and just work at his level for now. With social activities, I put my dd with the group she fit in best with, and it was usually with her age/grade group. I think there are so many factors to look at when making the decision to retain. We did retain, but then later put her back.

The giftedness means he's already working ABOVE grade level in several areas.  

Holding him back even further because he had dyslexia wasn't even on my radar!

That's the chief blessing of homeschooling a 2E; (within reason, of course) you can adjust work as necessary and call it ALL by grade level. ;)

Yup, this.  The things we do aren't remotely normal for K5. (Today it was conversations on the Great Chicago Fire vs. 9/11, him telling me about 757s and flying supersonic, and him grilling me on where countries are in the British Isles.) The grade 13 solution is probably the best one, in reality.  

Yup, this.  The things we do aren't remotely normal for K5. (Today it was conversations on the Great Chicago Fire vs. 9/11, him telling me about 757s and flying supersonic, and him grilling me on where countries are in the British Isles.) The grade 13 solution is probably the best one, in reality.  

I think you're on the right track. He may not even need the Gr. 13 option, but you won't know until he gets to high school age. If he's socially good with the K level kids and he's handling content like the above in informal learning, it doesn't make sense to hold him back.

I think you're on the right track. He may not even need the Gr. 13 option, but you won't know until he gets to high school age. If he's socially good with the K level kids and he's handling content like the above in informal learning, it doesn't make sense to hold him back.

Thanks, then it looks like we have a PLAN!  Just remind me when I forget and get freaky.   :lol: 

Thanks, then it looks like we have a PLAN!  Just remind me when I forget and get freaky.   :lol: 

Sounds like a good plan to me! Ds9 is in 4th grade, but I have no problem adding a "super senior" year or two if he needs it. 

I wouldn't at this age. If kiddo is homeschooling (I'm sorry - I didn't check your sig to see if this kiddo is homeschooled), I would wait until junior high to make that determination. We DID hold my 2E oldest kiddo back a year - but not until this year (repeating grade 7). Kindergarten is just so early to make that determination. Such strides can be made with something as simple as the maturity that will come in the next few years... you don't really know, at this age, if this isn't something that age would at least HELP, kwim?

I wouldn't at this age. If kiddo is homeschooling (I'm sorry - I didn't check your sig to see if this kiddo is homeschooled), I would wait until junior high to make that determination. We DID hold my 2E oldest kiddo back a year - but not until this year (repeating grade 7). Kindergarten is just so early to make that determination. Such strides can be made with something as simple as the maturity that will come in the next few years... you don't really know, at this age, if this isn't something that age would at least HELP, kwim?

I think the twist on that would be if there's a pervasive developmental delay *on top of* a learning disability.  If that dev. delay in some fashion is there, I think the writing is on the wall.  And that's pretty much going to be for the psych to say.   :(

There is also the fact that for older children being held back can feel like failure. If you keep him back at the beginning, you are free to just keep moving forward at his pace (at least in a homeschool situation). If you find in 7th grade that he is ready to do high school work, give him ninth grade work the next year and start keeping high school records. The determination of when to graduate does not need to be made yet, but it might be psychologically easier on a teenage student to feel they are accelerating ahead or at least progressing normally rather than needing to possibly repeat a grade at that level.