Menu

Self-Education Accountability (Week of 9/28/14)

Figured you all may be interested if you don't know about this already - HabitRPG. Anyone a member? I just started my own little party of members so we can 'quest' and man, it is lighting a fire under my butt to accomplish all my goals (including self-education). I've accomplished a lot since joining.

Today I:

• finished the assignments for The Art of Teaching History.
  • watched the other two videos for Saving Schools and answered the follow-up questions.
  • walked with the dog for a little more than my required 25 minutes.
  • finished one audiobook.

I think that'll be it for today, because I worked late last night and have to work until midnight again tonight. So, I kind of want to take a quick nap before I have to head out later this afternoon.

Figured you all may be interested if you don't know about this already - HabitRPG. Anyone a member? I just started my own little party of members so we can 'quest' and man, it is lighting a fire under my butt to accomplish all my goals (including self-education). I've accomplished a lot since joining.

That looks like fun! I can use every scrap of motivation and fun I can find right now. Not sure I need more computer time, but I'm going to try it!

I don't know how much I am going to get done tonight. One child had a stellar day at school and he's showing such an interest in his studies right now that he's simply a joy to teach. We went up the road tonight and ended up discussing above and beyond what we covered in plant study today. He's sincerely interested in learning and that's just so nice!

His brother, on the other hand...let's just say he's testing the limits of my good nature today. He's been in such a mood today that we are just now DONE with his work for the day. After the way he behaved, he wasn't getting let off the hook. He's cooling his hot head in the shower, and I'm wondering whether there might be some chocolate somewhere in the house that I could hide in a closet and eat. 

If I unwind a bit later I will read my history and grammar. I did my Latin, but did not get to math today. Will have to do a double lesson tomorrow. Got my run in this morning, two miles of good steady pounding, to which I attribute NOT losing my temper at any point today...

The kids conspired against my plans for exercise this morning, so that didn't happen. I've done a little reading, hopefully a little more before bed. No Latin yet. One of those days when I felt busy all day long, but looking back it feels like I got nothing accomplished.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain - the only exercise I managed to get in today was some ab/yoga work while we were watching a science doco.  I did watch the Intro to Philosophy lectures while I made dinner.  I might read a chapter or two before bed . . . or not.  I did Khan and Duolingo too, so a reasonable day all in all.

Throwing myself into this thread. . . 

My goal this year is to read SOTW 3 and 4.  My early history is great, but my more recent history isn't spectacular.  We didn't get into SOTW in time for me to read it to DD, and DS1 isn't an auditory learner, so he's been reading it to himself.  That's great for him, not so great for me.  So I want to read it myself.

I have been working on DuoLingo Spanish for a few months, but I want to get back to that, and I want to brush up on my Italian from college with DL Italian too.  (DS1 is doing Mango Italian and will move to DL Italian after that.)

As mentioned in another thread, I'm also working my way through eighth grade math on Khan Academy.

ETA: My biggest goal this week for self-education is to prepare my co-op lesson for next week.  I am teaching picture study this semester, and the artist isn't one I knew before, so I am learning as I prepare to teach the children, and I love it!

Mrs. A, I would like to know more about your approach to Euclid if you are inclined to share details :)

I keep it very simple - one proof a day and I work out that proof every day until I can explain it to someone myself without getting confused. 

At first I just tried reading through each proof and if it made some sense I would go on to the next one. But I found myself having to go back and look at past ones again and again because I'd never properly understood. That was really getting me in trouble because they build on each other. 

I may not every make it all the way through, but really there's no rush. I have no test to take and no deadline to meet. I can just enjoy geometry because it's beautiful, and that's reason enough. :) 

Yesterday was a bust!  I had big plans to finish the Epidemics videos and some math but I was called to sub in a class at the school where I work.  I managed to get a math lesson done during my planning period, but that was it.  By the time I got home, I had no energy left, but the icing on the cake was my mother-in-law calling to chat for 1.5 hrs. and then the house rabbit who made an ENORMOUS mess at right after the phone call at 9pm.  For those watching at home, I go to bed at 8:00 because I get up for work at 4am.  I was not a happy camper.    

Today, I went to the library and picked up the book Saturday is for Funerals by Unity Dow, did an Algebra lesson while DS was at his drum lesson, and worked out a plan for Spanish 2 now that he's decided to audit this year.  Having been a language learning junkie at one time, I know that auditory input and making it FUN are far more important than slogging through textbooks and workbooks.  I think I've got a good plan that will be more fun and useful than all of the BJU busy work that was assigned for his class. 

1 X per week in class primarily for speaking practice and because we've already paid for it.  ;)  It seems like a relatively minimal amount of teaching happens, which is just fine.  At least the teacher speaks in Spanish most of the time and the kids get to converse with one another in Spanish.

2 X per week listen to Harry Potter audiobook in Spanish at lunch while shadowing in the text.

2 X per week watch Spanish TV (usually sports news) at lunch.

1 X per day read a news story in Spanish at bbc.co.uk/mundo or listen and shadow a news story at es.euronews/

Create a Twitter account and post 1 original sentence in Spanish per day.  I don't even care if it says, "I hate my mom for making me do this" just as long as it's written in Spanish.  :001_tt2:

Duolingo

BJU Spanish 2 and Quizlet flashcards/games as time allows because they correspond to the class.

Eventually, I would like him to do some Skyping in Spanish; but that probably won't happen this year.

I did my Spanish and geography.

I wish all the MOOCs would offer text (or a Powerpoint I could go through at my own pace) instead of videos. They're really slowing me down.

I did not finish the book I'm reading yet. I will probably skim the rest at some point this week. I like it, but it's a bit dated (meant to be a look at contemporary issues in America).

Done yesterday:

* Exercise: BFBM and yoga

* Daily devotional reading

* Second half of chapter 4 in "Simplicity Parenting"

Done today:

* Chapter 7 in "Towards a Philosophy of Education"

I got a flu shot Monday evening, and as usual it made me feel slightly unwell for a day or so.  I wasn't feeling good when I went to bed last night, and that made it too easy to turn off my alarm and go back to sleep this morning instead of getting up to exercise.  I realized today that DH will be out of town for several days at the beginning of next week, so I need to get my running in over the next four days to make up for when he is gone.  We take turns running so that one of us is home with the kids.  My goal is to complete Week 5 of Couch to 5K by Sunday.

We are having "Backwards Day" today.  Our water was shut off for a couple of hours this morning, so we switched our day around to get out of the house in the morning and do school in the afternoon.  DD thinks that this is lots of fun :)

Woot, I read 40 pages of Zinn's History of the US, it put me a hair behind on the day but we got the time made up and I don't have company coming tonight, so I'm not under so much pressure. I'm enjoying it but it does seem a bit liberal biased, even for me. I also have a history book by Paul Johnson so I hear both the liberal and conservative perspective, as I'm trying to present ds with a balanced view. We'll see if I can make it through both as it is 1800 pages between them!

Ruth,

#1 -- hurray for your strength and fitness -- this sounds terrific.  Stair running is serious, and I (who am not pull-up capable at the moment) am inspired by this.

Thanks so much for the kind words! I fell 3 years ago and damaged my rotator cuff and tore a bit of muscle in my back, it has be a very very long hard road to get back. I started with swimming (which I **HATE**) and as soon as I was strong enough (read 1.5 years) I began the pullups and pushups to replace the dreaded swimming. I am up to... (drum roll here) ... TWO pullups. :glare:  But I do hold them at the top for 10 seconds.  And 15 manly pushups, but they are still really hard for me.  As for the stairs, I'm good with 2 sets (of 100 stairs), but the third set makes me want to throw up.  I can make it to the top in under 30 seconds. :001_smile:  I can also make it to the top with 50pounds of groceries. :tongue_smilie:

#2 -- :grouphug: and congratulations to your whole family on your dh's dissertation!  whoo-hoo!  AND a job!  I am so, so happy to hear that he's made it through.  just :grouphug:  again.

Not many people realize how much of a family effort it is. Thanks for noticing! We are really exhausted over here because DH worked full time for 4 years *while* doing his PhD, and only took off 3 months to write the dissertation. It has been an incredibly long hard slog. But on the good side, he got a job that actually took advantage of his newly acquired knowledge and increased pay to go with it. So it seems to be worth it in the end. (we weren't quite sure in the middle!)  He still has to convert his dissertation into publications so I feel like the real celebration is still 6 months away. 

He has been an excellent roll model for self-learning for me and the kids!

Got through Latin and Math today, will do Grammar, History and bee reading tonight. I didn't get a run in today, as I didn't feel well and had some bees to feed, and that's a good hour job to do it slowly and peacefully so as not to get some pretty unhappy insects all upset. They are uneasy with the weather and lack of resources right now, so that means a lot of smoke and patience. 

Should be able to run tomorrow.

Thanks, guys.  Grief is hard, and weird.  There was no particular reason why today should have been a challenge for me.

Let's see...for tomorrow, I will try to finish chapters 2 and 3 in Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, as well as morning exercise.

Thanks, guys.  Grief is hard, and weird.  There was no particular reason why today should have been a challenge for me.

Let's see...for tomorrow, I will try to finish chapters 2 and 3 in Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, as well as morning exercise.

Sorry that you're grieving. :( I hope that today is a better day. 

Done:

-Greek vocab

-Latin vocab

-Latin reading

-Feet & Shoes, Knees/Hips/Back chapters of Alignment Matters - Katy Bowman (interesting and fun)

I have decided to only work on Greek on Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday and on Latin the other days.

I need to bump self-care wayyyyy higher on my list than self-ed to get through this stressful periode.

Hugs to you Tress and purpleowl, taking care of yourself is certainly the highest priority and sometimes life dictates that we don't have much of anything left for anything else after getting that done, I know I operated in that state for a good while.

I read some more Zinn last night and hit Paul Johnson's today. Zinn is hereby named, The Most Depressing History Book Ever Written at my house. I had planned to read each through but after started I think I'd prefer to go back and forth. I find both to be a bit unpalatable in their slant. I've not did much history study in a while so it is nice to dig in and it is providing great foder for conversation with dh, in the limited time we've had as of late.

I actually had 4 hrs to myself last night, I hadn't had anytime to myself in at least a month, save for 1 hr while on vacation, it was glorious. I did some reading, studied on FLL, vegged and spent a hair bit of time cleaning.

I'm setting a goal of 40 pages a day for History so I can get through them in 6 weeks time and I've already reached that today so I am hoping to read some Lewis and do some memory palace in any spare time today.

Did not run today, at least not yet. The day started off near 80 around 7am, and I couldn't get my will power together to handle that kind of temp with the high humidity. Not when I'm not quite up to par.

Did Latin and Math, and read some history over lunch. Grammar is next--the boys are working on pronouns and so am I so we will do that together today.

Did not run today, at least not yet. The day started off near 80 around 7am, and I couldn't get my will power together to handle that kind of temp with the high humidity. Not when I'm not quite up to par.

Did Latin and Math, and read some history over lunch. Grammar is next--the boys are working on pronouns and so am I so we will do that together today.

I grew up in the Pacific NW, although I now live in the South.  The high temp/high humidity combo makes me wilt!  We spent the previous seven years in SC, and I said that the correct name for summer there was "hell."   :lol:

Yup. It is certainly the hot place at times. Better weather is on the way, although we may well spend some of it cutting up downed trees if we get the wind I think we are going to get. :glare:  I did think about swimming this morning, but lacking gills, felt it best to just go inside and think of frost, snow and cold rain.

Oh, well. The boys want autumn fires.

Today I did Algebra, listened to Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorn while on the decompression machine at the chiropractor and later read some of Saturdays are for Funerals.  It hasn't been a very good day, so I'm calling it done at this point. 

Done today:

* Exercise: C25K Wk5Day1, a little bit of yoga with DD

* Listened to the second half of Lecture 1 in the Intro to Orthodoxy series

To Do:

* Read the Preface of "Mere Christianity"

* More yoga

Yesterday's work listed above - I forgot to do evening yoga.

Done today:

* Exercise: C25K Wk5Day2 (I'm a bit nervous about going from Day2 to Day3.  It's a big jump from an 8 minute run to a 20 minute run!)

* Listened to the first lecture in the Historical Jesus course

To Do:

* Read "Tegner's Drapa" from Tales Before Narnia

* Yoga - hopefully morning and evening.  DD is pushing me to do yoga with her, so that's a good reminder and motivation.

I've been slacking on posting about my accomplishments this week - mostly because they aren't very concrete!! Yes, I'm working on my book stack and watching my Coursera lectures and exercising, but I've been trying to figure out next steps in teaching writing to my 7th grader - so I've got all my writing books out in stacks on the floor, and a couple of new ones ordered, and I'm making my way through them trying to figure out what comes next.  Also re-listening to SWB's writing lectures.  And discussing writing with dh, and desperately trying to remember how I learned to write, and why it's so much harder to tell someone how to improve their writing than it is to just fix it!!! It's such a funny skill, one where it's hard to articulate the steps in the process once they have become automatic.  Anyway, that's where I'm at, trying to be accountable to learn to teach writing more effectively . . . 

Well, except for Duolingo, I haven't accomplished much this week.  I'm trying to make sure to at least get to Duolingo every day because I've noticed that if I miss a day, it shows!

The other night I lamented to DH that I  was having a hard time getting anything finished.  He commented that I had no problem finishing the bag of M&Ms that was next to me.  :lol:

Heaps done over here.

2 days off to start... then I got bored

3 sections physics + 2 hours mandarin

Organised official 9th grade records for older,

Researched universities

Organised younger's term4 schedule (well, not completely, but almost there)

Made some decisions about Latin using Cambridge and Latin Prep concurrently

Printed and organized all MEP math work for the term

Wrote Rose about 10 pages about writing, which helped me sort out what I need to plan/read next to help each of my kids.

Made a plan for the kid I just started tutoring in math who is about 4 years behind. 

Deep cleaned my kids' bedroom by taking *everything* out

Massive shopping, laundry, cleaning binge

Got the BBQ cleaned and repositioned and had first BBQ of the season

did my pullups and pushups, but overdid my lunges and had to take time off (again :mad: )

How in the world do I usually have time to homeschool? :001_smile:

Have so many goals for next week, will wait for the next thread before I list them.  9 days to go....

Today I have worked some on Khan math, some on DuoLingo, and some on reading SOTW 3. I also prepared my co-op picture study lesson earlier this week, so now I have learned something more about this semester's artist, Diego Velazquez.

Learning alongside my children has been such a treat. I never hated math (my dad was an AP calculus teacher; we did math games for fun at home), but I really enjoy it more while watching them get it. I have a degree in medieval history, so it's been fun sharing that with my children, but I loved doing SOTW 1 with them, because I never got any ancient history in school. DuoLingo? Gosh, I wish that had been around when I was a kid. And my children know (and therefore I know) so much more about music and art than I ever did. I remember dull movies about artists but no personal connection with them, and so it didn't really stick (well, maybe what art I learned about in college did, because it was almost all related to my major, but not much before that -- and I went to a pretty good school). I love that homeschooling is giving me an impetus to enrich my own knowledge!

Done today:

* Exercise: C25K Wk5Day2 (I'm a bit nervous about going from Day2 to Day3.  It's a big jump from an 8 minute run to a 20 minute run!)

* Listened to the first lecture in the Historical Jesus course

To Do:

* Read "Tegner's Drapa" from Tales Before Narnia

* Yoga - hopefully morning and evening.  DD is pushing me to do yoga with her, so that's a good reminder and motivation.

Updating yesterday's goals above.  For this weekend I plan to do C25K Wk5 Day 3, start listening to lecture 2 in the Intro to Orthodoxy series, and catch up on educational blogs and articles.  Otherwise we're focusing on lots of family time, as DH will be out of town for three days next week, and hopefully making some decisions about our "where to live" dilemma.

Weekend update:

* Exercise: completed Week 5 of C25K!

* Listened to first 30 minutes of Intro to Orthodoxy, lecture 2

* Made a small dent in catching up on educational articles/blogs.

DH will be gone this evening, so I'm going to prep for school this week, do some personal care (facial and mani/pedi), and do a little light reading.  Self-ed will resume tomorrow  :)

This was a pretty decent week, though not as great as last week.  I was able to:

• complete 5 Algebra lessons
  • finish reading Spillover
  • complete Week 1 Epidemics videos and take notes.  I also took the first quiz and got 100% the first time.  I did most of the additional readings as well, though not all and watched all of the weekly "AUA" videos. 
  • shred the mountain of mail
  • determine how I want to set up and use the new white/cork boards
  • work out a new plan to structure Spanish 2

The things I didn't get around to were:

• McKenzie neck exercises
  • morning meditation - not even once *sigh*
  • watch 12 Years a Slave and send it back.  I just can't muster the enthusiasm for this.