Menu

Self-Education Accountability (Week of 9/28/14)

What's on the agenda for this week?

My goals:

1) Continue exercising daily - as vigorously as the knees allow - and count calories.

2) Fiction reading: To The LIghthouse, Watership Down

3) Teachery Reading - How to Read a Book, Falling in Love with Close Reading, Writing to Learn, A Mind for Numbers

4) Coursera: Fiction of Relationship, Brief History of Humankind, Intro to Philosophy, Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

ETA:  oh yeah . . . 

5) Duolingo Spanish

6) Khan Algebra Mastery

Lez see...

Continue with Latin, Math and Grammar.

Work on the first assignment in Homer--I've got the prep week done.

Read a chapter of SWB History of the Ancient World daily.

Read a chapter of The History of Art a week. Probably do that tonight.

Pre-read all the scary stories I got for the first four weeks of October and make sure they won't terrify TOO much.

Write 10 pages of so of my novel per day.

Run 1.5 to 2 miles on Tues, Wed, Thu. Got in a 2 mile run this am.

Hi guys. :)  I'm getting my brain under control again and ready to rejoin you all.  (Without getting into details, a dear friend had a loss in her family, and it hit me pretty hard.)

So here are some goals for this week:

* Self-care - start up morning exercise again

* Latin - chapter 9

* Reading - finish C.S. Lewis's A Preface to Paradise Lost and start Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

Not a ton, but it'll do for this week.

Self-Ed Goals for this week

• Complete Week 1 of Epidemics from Coursera including the additional and advanced readings sections
  • Complete 5 Algebra 1 lessons - 3/5 DONE
  • Finish reading Spillover - DONE
  • Finally watch 12 Years a Slave and return it to Netflix
  • Morning meditation
  • Daily McKenzie neck exercises

Other Goals

• Shred the pile of mail on top of the shredder - DONE
  • Determine exactly how I want to use the 2 new white and cork boards I just put up in the office/school room
  • Figure out how I want to structure Spanish 2 now that DS has decided just to audit the co-op class.  There was WAY too much busy work and, despite the fact that DS has the same teacher as in Spanish 1, last year in no way prepared him for this year's class.  Switching from a lame workbook in year 1 to a hardcore curriculum in year 2 was not exactly the best idea on the teacher's part. - DONE

School holidays here. So I've got 2 weeks.

Goal #1: take today off.  I'm not sure I have actually chosen to take a day off in months.  We will see how bored I get. :001_smile:  You might see me here....

Goal #2: figure out my self-ed goals for the school holidays (next 2 weeks).  I *could* get a lot done, but I can't tell right now if I would find it invigorating or exhausting to put in a big push.  I need to really think about it.  I might just go to a cafe from 9:30-3:30 when younger is in his drama rehearsals this week.

Goal #3: definitely organize all papers from last term and record accomplishments.  DS(older) is pretty sure at this point that he will apply to university a year early, so I need to get really strict on my documenting for this year, as it will become 9th grade. Need to go find that 'what to document' thread on the high school board.  Does anyone have a link to it?

Goal #4: plan ds-the-younger's schedule for term 4. He is finally coming on line with goals and personal motivation.  Almost like a move to the logic stage or something.  Quite cool, and something I need to plan for.

Goal #5: get back to my pullups, pushups, lunges, and maybe even some step sprints.  3 times at full speed up my steps kills most anyone (I have 110 steps from car to door!)

Goal #6: deep clean boys room and my room.  Get dh to sort out all the old computer stuff - 4 years now on his PhD and he turned it in last month.  Started his new job at about the same time, so seems to me that the 4 years of delayed sorting can get done now. :toetap05:

Ruth in NZ

3) Teachery Reading - How to Read a Book, Falling in Love with Close Reading, Writing to Learn, A Mind for Numbers

4) Coursera: Fiction of Relationship, Brief History of Humankind, Intro to Philosophy, Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

I need a review of these. :001_smile:  :toetap05:  You always find the the best stuff. 

Fiction of Relationship and Brief History of Humankind are my two favorite Coursera classes - ever!  I'm watching History for the 2nd time and looking forward to his book being released in February.  Fiction is kicking my butt to read things I haven't before - To the Lighthouse, Light in August, Bartleby - and giving me new appreciation for some of my favorites, like Jane Eyre.  I'm really loving both of them.

Intro to Philosophy is kind of meh.  I am really impatient with philosophy, I must confess.  I'm making myself read the Very Short Introduction - What's it All Mean - and it's actually the best philosophy book I've evern read.  The course is ok, but not earthshattering.  Intro to Mathematical Thinking hasn't really started yet, but I'm sure it will be way over my head!!

A Mind For Numbers is very good for Metacognition - Shannon read it and is using some of the techniques she learned to help motivate herself and manage her own time and get things done.  Writing to Learn is classic Zinsser (he also wrote On Writing Well) and you should definitely read it, you would really like it! Lots on writing across the curriculum and writing across disciplines.  How to Read a Book by Adler is a classic, and it's kind of slow to get into so far . . . it does make me feel inadequate as I reflect on the fact that if Adler can't read, then I sure as heck can't either!!  Falling In Love with Close Reading is a book for teachers, I haven't decided if I'm going to get anything new out of it yet.

I've had a lovely weekend - made it through my book stack a couple of times (I'm also reading The Madwoman in the Attic, lit crit of Jane Eyre and other 19th ctry novels from a feminist perspective) Novel History which is historians and novelists going head to head, and The Fourth Part of the World which is about the "discovery" and naming of the Americas and all about mapmaking and geography in the age of discovery.  

I ran yesterday, and today my knees are killing, so I just did Pilates.  I'm not losing any lbs.  Maybe I should change my scale to kilos?  ;)  :001_tt2:

I'm not losing anything around the waist yet, but I am feeling stronger, and less out of breath. My energy level is improving anyway.

Got through Latin and Math. I finish my first Key to Algebra book tomorrow. I'm really liking that series for me. I'm looking forward to doing their geometry as an introductory course for me and for the boys at some point. 

Will hit grammar, history and read my art text tonight in bed. Running is fun, but my poor hips are really yelling at me tonight.

I planned to take this week off from studying since we are at the beach. Brought book equivalents of brownies. ;)

But it is raining torrents and might be for days. ugh!

New plan. Instead of lying on the beach reading Anne McCaffrey, Agatha Christie and Tolkien, I will be self educating.

Parenting 301: Creativity, cheerfulness, cooperation and kindness under duress. Find fun things to do with school aged children in a small condo in the middle of nowhere with a minimal supply of games, toys or kids' books. Screen time is limited and exercise is neccessary. Must stay within budget parameters.

Dh got an A today as he took the kids beachwalking for 2 hours when the rain let up some. I got an A because I figured out the confusing remotes so that the dvd would play. Tomorrow morning we will play Uno, do read alouds and maybe VP self paced history. And pray for sunshine!

Hi guys. :)  I'm getting my brain under control again and ready to rejoin you all.  (Without getting into details, a dear friend had a loss in her family, and it hit me pretty hard.)

So here are some goals for this week:

* Self-care - start up morning exercise again

* Latin - chapter 9

* Reading - finish C.S. Lewis's A Preface to Paradise Lost and start Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

Not a ton, but it'll do for this week.

Omg CS Lewis wrote a preface to Paradise Lost?! Where can I find that??

oh, it is so encouraging to see what y'all are doing and hear how things are going. 

Running makes me ache, too -- back pain all night long!  DH's travel picked up, which cuts down on my running options anyhow, but it might be nice to work around the pain instead of just not running! 

This week:

Goal 1: hammer in my slightly-improved sleep. 

-- yoga at least 10" before bed (I hate doing the whole routine, which is 20+ minutes, but it is good for me.  That would be extra credit!)

-- do my ballet-based workout at least 3 days

-- veggies + protein at lunch

-- no homeschool/self-ed/self-improvement/thinking after the children are in bed

-- to bed by 9:45 - 10 each night

Goal 2: figure out our California History course

-- line up our supplementary map resource (Unrolling the Map, which is really neat) and CA History Jackdaw with the Beautiful Feet course, and incorporate our extra book (a short one RE the internment of Americans of Japanese descent during WWII). 

-- make a short list of books for my own reading on this topic. 

Goal 3: keep house running, get rain gear and fall stuff ...

ETA Goal 4: some NPR, some Foreign Affairs, something good for my soul -- Tillich or Aurelius or Lewis. 

and Goal 5: sort of keep my ear to the ground, work on detecting the sort of work that's most important now & where I might ought be heading ... not sure about more distant goals, I need to find a constructive approach that I can turn off when it's time to sleep!

Today the members of parliament are going to debate about the proposal to make homeschooling illegal.
I'm going to do some light school with the kids and try not to show my worry.

The rest of the week:
Dh is out of the country and this is my monthly 'migraine week', so concentrating on school&meals will be most important. Anything else is bonus.

Wishing anyone a great week with lots of self-ed and self-care! :seeya:

Omg CS Lewis wrote a preface to Paradise Lost?! Where can I find that??

Yep - I saw someone else on these boards mention it, and I just read PL not too long ago, so it piqued my interest.  My library didn't have it, but I got it through interlibrary loan.  Looks like Amazon has a couple different editions as well.  I could see using it with my kids when they're in high school.  The first half is about form, the second half about content.

Yep - I saw someone else on these boards mention it, and I just read PL not too long ago, so it piqued my interest.  My library didn't have it, but I got it through interlibrary loan.  Looks like Amazon has a couple different editions as well.  I could see using it with my kids when they're in high school.  The first half is about form, the second half about content.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to look for that. I read PL just this past year so I want to read this while it's still fresh. 

Hello all, moving along here with Lewis(Surprised by Joy) and my composers book. I have the Preface to Paradise Lost but haven't started it yet. I'd like to read more history but the book I ordered for myself is, well, um boring, I have 2 coming from the library. I would like to add more to the list but I'm at capacity with the kids schooling, keeping up with the house/food, and leading an AHG unit alongside co-leading our FLL team and homeschool group. On the plus side homeschooling is going well and my youngest is starting to have some independence at times, which hopefully means I'll have more time to myself sometime in the near future- if nothing else our FLL Team will probably only be going until November qualifiers so that will free up a bunch of time. 

OH, and on the self-care front I'm continuing on with our daily walks and other exercise here and there. Yesterday we did a 4 hr long kayak trip as an end to our vacation, we also did rock-climbing (my fav) while gone. I'm still eating paleo, my weight bounced up a few pounds while on vacation, hopefully it goes back down. I kept clean with my eating except some gf/df cookies one day. Not sure if it is that or something else but I'm way annoyed.

It's a relatively light week for me, in terms of self-education. I'm scheduled to work about 35 hours, and I'm still adjusting to that. So, my only self-improvement goals for this week are:

• Complete Module 2 of The Art of Teaching History (7 videos, some readings and the weekly reflection assignment).
  • Complete the work for week 4 of Saving Schools. (The specifics aren't posted yet.)
  • Continue walking with my dog at least 25 minutes every morning. Aim for 30 minutes when I can.
  • Go to my endocrinologist check-in on Wednesday morning. 
  • Revisit the super-secret writing project I abandoned a couple of years ago and decide whether I want to try and make something of it now that I theoretically have time.
  • Finish reading two books. 

This week:

• Complete The Obstacle is the Way (second read through)
  • Start Seneca: Letters of a Stoic
  • Complete Networking is not Working (2nd read through)
  • Start The Seven Levels of Communication (2nd read through)
  • Complete The Millionaire Fastlane (trillionth read through)
  • Start The Art of the Start
  • Weekly tasks for Coursera classes - Intro to Accounting and Intro to Operations Management
  • Contact 15 people.
  • Study Spanish 1hr on M/W/F/S
  • Study Russian 1hr on T/Th/S
  • Complete week 4 of P90X2
  • Attend webinar
  • Attend Toastmasters

The rest of my time will be working on my business (and playing with my kids).

School holidays here. So I've got 2 weeks.

Goal #1: take today off.  I'm not sure I have actually chosen to take a day off in months.  We will see how bored I get. :001_smile:  You might see me here....

Goal #2: figure out my self-ed goals for the school holidays (next 2 weeks).  I *could* get a lot done, but I can't tell right now if I would find it invigorating or exhausting to put in a big push.  I need to really think about it.  I might just go to a cafe from 9:30-3:30 when younger is in his drama rehearsals this week.

Goal #3: definitely organize all papers from last term and record accomplishments.  DS(older) is pretty sure at this point that he will apply to university a year early, so I need to get really strict on my documenting for this year, as it will become 9th grade. Need to go find that 'what to document' thread on the high school board.  Does anyone have a link to it?

Goal #4: plan ds-the-younger's schedule for term 4. He is finally coming on line with goals and personal motivation.  Almost like a move to the logic stage or something.  Quite cool, and something I need to plan for.

Goal #5: get back to my pullups, pushups, lunges, and maybe even some step sprints.  3 times at full speed up my steps kills most anyone (I have 110 steps from car to door!)

Goal #6: deep clean boys room and my room.  Get dh to sort out all the old computer stuff - 4 years now on his PhD and he turned it in last month.  Started his new job at about the same time, so seems to me that the 4 years of delayed sorting can get done now. :toetap05:

Ruth in NZ

Ruth,

#1 -- hurray for your strength and fitness -- this sounds terrific.  Stair running is serious, and I (who am not pull-up capable at the moment) am inspired by this. 

#2 -- :grouphug: and congratulations to your whole family on your dh's dissertation!  whoo-hoo!  AND a job!  I am so, so happy to hear that he's made it through.  just :grouphug:  again. 

#3 -- is the high school documentation thread this mega-thread?  I've bookmarked it myself ...

The debate today didn't go well.

I'm not really sure I can explain what has happened, because I'm not sure I really saw what I thought I was seeing. The whole debate made my head spin.

We have 10 parties in our Parliament, 8 of those had sent a member of parliament to the debate. Of those 8 MPs, 6 MPs wanted homeschooling to stay legal, although they did want some kind of oversight. (I'm fine with that.) Those 6 MPs represent a definite majority in Parliament.

The Secretary of Education 'concluded' that there was a majority for making homeschooling illegal, for only allowing homeschooling in the most extraordinary situations (think: Olympic medal sporters, children undergoing chemo) and with very difficult conditions for the parents: for teaching K-6 grade a general teaching degree, for teaching 7-12 grade a Masters degree and a teaching degree in each subject :svengo: .

The Secretary of Education is going to talk with homeschoolers and the people from the Ministry of Education about oversight and after that he will submit a proposal to change the law and make homeschooling illegal.

It makes no sense whatsoever to me that the Secretary could ignore the MPs and I have no idea what will happen next.

I think we need new elections and a new Parliament. But yeah, who am I? :glare:

:huh: That's just....I'm having a hard time processing how a majority that wants legal homeschooling and oversight translates to make homeschooling illegal.

But if the majority wants homeschooling to stay legal, then the proposal submitted would be likely to fail?

That's what I'm hoping. But I'm not sure at all.

OK, we're back on regular school schedule this week, and we're starting Term 2 which will be 8 weeks long.  My new reading rotation topics include: parenting, education book, education articles/blogs, spiritual, and classics.  I will also be listening to audio lectures (Introduction to Orthodoxy series from St. Spyridon's Church, and "The Historical Jesus" from the Teaching Company)

My goals for this week:

* Couch to 5k 3/7

* Banish Fat Burn Metabolism or 30 Day Shred 2/7

* Yoga 5/7 (desperately need to relax my tense jaw!)

* Audio lectures during running

* Reading rotation 5/7

* Daily devotions 7/7

* Plan Home Ec lessons for DD, to start next Friday

* Figure out how to have school somewhere else on Wednesday, as the water in our apartment complex will be shut off for repairs that morning.

Completed today:

* C25K Week4 Day3

* Intro to Orthodoxy, Lecture 1 (first half)

* Daily devotional reading

* Simplicity Parenting Ch. 4 (first half)

What I would love to have happen this week is for DH and I to finally make a decision about which city we will live in.  We moved here at the beginning of the year for a new job, and we've been in an apartment while waiting for our previous house to sell.  It closed a month ago, and we're still dithering about which of two cities we want to commit to (nicer/more community opportunities/35-40 minute commute vs. not quite as nice/few community opportunities/5 minute commute).  I think that this is what is causing my jaw clenching and resulting headaches.

So far today I've managed to watch and take notes for 5 of the 7 videos for Epidemics and finish reading Spillover.  I am utterly fascinated by this subject right now.  Reading Hot Zone a few months ago was interesting in a Hollywood movie kind of way, but Spillover was more of a story meets scientific journal.  

I've also finished a lesson of Algebra 1, done the mail shredding, done McKenzie neck exercises, cleaned the house, and figured out what to do with 1 of the 2 new boards in the office/school room. 

I need something new to read, but I think I need something a little lighter for the time being.  My brain feels like its at capacity right now.  I think I'll do a couple of short stories.

Well, I figured out the workout to do when my knees aren't up to running!  Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones.  Yowzahs!!

I've done Khan, Duolingo, and read a couple of chapters so far.  I should get some videos watched and more reading done before the day is over.  My children are oddly independent today, hmmm . . . . 

OK, we're back on regular school schedule this week, and we're starting Term 2 which will be 8 weeks long.  My new reading rotation topics include: parenting, education book, education articles/blogs, spiritual, and classics.  I will also be listening to audio lectures (Introduction to Orthodoxy series from St. Spyridon's Church, and "The Historical Jesus" from the Teaching Company)

So funny that you mentioned this because I just clicked over here after visiting St. Spyridon's Website for some other lectures. :)

Today was a loooong day and I'm totally read for bed. But I did manage to get up early and get some of my reading and studying in, so I'm glad about that. I got Greek reading and vocab, Euclid and Arabic done. 

I've got my Latin done and finished my first Key to Algebra book today. Got an A on the exam..

Worked my bees today, so the evening has mostly been planning a visit to the hives tomorrow with food for one, a super and food for another, and beetle traps for the other two. What was I thinking having four hives this year?! 

Anyway, got me thinking about my other self-education project--reading the Hive and the Honey Bee. I believe I'll get it down and schedule chapters to read, and I need to get my hive journal out to make notes on today and tomorrow's work.

Today's progress:

• Complete Module 2 of The Art of Teaching History (7 videos, some readings and the weekly reflection assignment). - I watched the first three videos and did the accompanying readings.
  • Complete the work for week 4 of Saving Schools. (The specifics aren't posted yet.) - I watched the first video and answered the associated questions.
  • Continue walking with my dog at least 25 minutes every morning. Aim for 30 minutes when I can. - It was about 26 this morning, I think. 
  • Go to my endocrinologist check-in on Wednesday morning. 
  • Revisit the super-secret writing project I abandoned a couple of years ago and decide whether I want to try and make something of it now that I theoretically have time. - I pulled up the file and made a few tweaks and updates. Still not sure it is worth devoting much time to working on. We'll see.
  • Finish reading two books. - I listened to my current audiobook while walking with the dog, doing some chores around the house and driving to and from work. I will likely finish this one tomorrow. I also read a bit of the physical book I have going at the moment. So, this goal just might get me this week.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹I'm not working until late afternoon tomorrow and am hoping to accomplish a lot of my list then. Once Wednesday morning hits, the rest of my week gets a lot busier.

Goals for this week :)

Finish chapter 13 of Wheelock's by Saturday and mail in to study group

Borrow Pilgrim's Progress from the library and set up a reading schedule

Finally finish the sixth book in the Game of Thrones series (that counts as self education, doesn't it?)

Begin reading "The Polyamorist Family Next Door"

That's all I have time for! How do some of you manage to squeeze in so much?!

I have a very busy house with guests at present, and it's only getting more hectic next week - for a short time we'll have four women and eight homeschooled children hanging out! So, not much happening on the formal study front for myself, but we have a LOT of cool stuff going on for the kids. I'm enjoying watching my only child thrive amongst the activity.

Oh, and I'm trying to work out how to get the most from our new abacus!

I just read through the whole thread. Busy Bees hang out here!

Tress, I am SO sorry that you are going through this.

I kinda sorta crashed and burned on Ibsen. I read a lot of the play in Danish, but not the whole thing. Last night was the performance, and I could follow the dialogue that I had read IF it matched the original. The play was given a contemporary overhaul, so a close study of the play would not have mattered much.

I enjoyed the performance and had a nice evening with a good friend. But I wonder when will I be able to just watch a Danish film or go to the theater without some sort of crutch? Sigh. I still have a long way to go.

Onward...

Thanks, Blue Daisy and Penguin!

Cascadia, I hope you guys can make a decision soon!

I'm going to rethink my self-ed plans. I had planned to do a chapter a week of Greek, in order to finish all grammar this schoolyear and be reading texts when my dd10 starts Greek next year. I'm not so sure it's a good idea to kill myself with this pace, when I'm not at all sure that we will be homeschooling next year. It might be better to do more read alouds with my dd3 or play games with the kids, and to read more for fun & self-ed. Although I would hate to forget everything I worked for. There probably is some middle ground here. Not sure yet.

Plans for today:

Finish today's homeschooling strong, we had a surprisingly good morning.

Greek & Latin vocab

50min walk

think about self-ed

I'm up early again today. More by accident than by design,  but still - at least I didn't roll over and go back to sleep. I got my Greek and Euclid in and even managed to walk the dog before everyone woke! Hoping I can read a little history, but not sure if that will happen. We have a busy day ahead. 

Just continuing to swim (treading water when necessary). I'm sort of on autopilot right now...  The rest of the week will probably be a blur. This is one of those times I'm so thankful we have set plans and routines - so much is getting done automatically...

My main goal is to just keep going. ;)  

The words of Aurelius are echoing in my mind frequently this week.