Menu

Gift Suggestions for EG 13yo boy?

nature girl

What is he interested in? That's the age when ds started taking computers apart and programming from scratch (as opposed to with Scratch lol I kill myself).

Maybe a raspberry pi?

Or something cool from Maker Shed? One of the Make books (there are a zillion interesting titles--I see the new ones at the library all the time :))?

I wouldn't worry if he is bored or rolls his eyes... I would give him a book that has the potential to be transformative. I would choose George Gamow's "One, Two, Three... Infinity"[1] and then give him an iTunes gift card, a cell phone top up card, or cash as appropriate.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/One-Two-Three-Infinity-Speculations/dp/0486256642/

We bought the origami book in my siggy for DS at age 13.  It explains the *math* behind origami, and is written by the guy who actually uncovered it.  Very very cool.  It teaches you how advanced designs are put together and then how to make your own.  It is a bit :blink: for me, but ds loves it!

Ruth in NZ

If I were to buy Raspberry Pi or Arduino, are they standalone? Or should I buy components to go with them? (I see Raspberry Pi will need a power cord and SD card, but other than that is there anything else that would facilitate their use?) Thank you!!

For the Arduino, your best bet is to buy one of the starter kits. Adafruit carries some very nice kits that include pretty much everything you'd need to get started. The only other thing the child needs is access to a computer.

Raspberry Pi is a little more involved. The current model is the B+. It's a fantastic gift, but it's a credit card sized computer. You'll also need a USB mouse, a USB keyboard, and a monitor or TV with an HDMI jack. You can also use an HDMI converter cable on an existing monitor. I think it's best to buy a starter kit, because it'll include the microSD card with the software pre-loaded and wifi dongle. Amazon carries the Canakit starter packs, and those are usually what I recommend. The B+ is a major improvement over the model B in a lot of ways, and the cost is pretty much the same. Note that the model B uses an SD card, while the B+ uses a microSD card.

Can any of you recommend something fun that your gifted children enjoyed at that age? Thanks so much!

The Mathematics Calendar 2015 by Theoni Pappas

He might also enjoy books by Theoni Pappas.  Some are for young children, many are not.

You might also browse this older thread:  Gift for Math Nut?

Weapons Of Math Destruction Mug

Some fun clothing:

Find X t-shirt

Pi in the Sky T-Shirt

I'm Right t-shirt

Is he a MASH fan? M*A*T*H t-shirt

Regards,

Kareni