Menu

Buying Miquon vs. just using Education Unboxed videos

kirstenhill

I've been doing c-rod activities with DS5 from the Education Unboxed site, as well as some games/activities from RightStart A so far for math this year.  He really likes the c-rods a lot, and is not a fan at all of using the RightStart abacus.  I also already have Singapore Essential K book B...which we started last spring after finishing Essential A, but he wasn't ready to continue very far into B.  He could easily do a lot of that now (though we haven't actually pulled it out yet this fall)..not sure he would love it though. 

Given his love of C-Rods, should I consider Miquon? Or just continue with the Education Unboxed videos and and maybe a hodge-podge of other things for a while?  I am not super familiar with Miquon, and I don't really know what you are "getting" with Miquon as a curriculum as opposed to just doing C-Rod activities I can learn about thru the videos.

I am not sure what my long term plan is for this kid math-wise.  If you would have asked me last spring i would have said that DS5 showed no signs of being a mathy/accelerated kid like DS7 is...but now I am not so sure! DS5 is starting to make lots of leaps of math understanding even in areas that we haven't directly studied.  I had kind of thought DS5 would do at least RightStart A-D like his siblings...but unless he decides he likes that RS Abacus, I am not sure that path makes sense.

Thoughts?

I use a mash-up of education unboxed (he doesn't watch the videos but I do and then replicate the lesson with him) and miquon with my ds5.  

We are only halfway through the orange book, so take it with a grain of salt, but there are many, many labs in Miquon for every video available at eu.  We will do a video every 2 weeks but we are dong 5-8 labs a week.  It just goes deeper and covers more.  I personally wouldn't use eu exclusively, though I know people do with great success.  Mostly because I'm not creative enough to build off of it on my own.    

And at the end of the day the program is so darn cheap I don't see any harm in buying it.  Its usually under $50 to get all 6 books (grades 1-3) brand new.  I doubt you can find any hodge-podge cheaper.  Printing out free stuff from the internet might be more expensive.  

Miquon would be a great add on if you want to add some independence to what you are doing with the Education Unboxed videos. I started off playing games with the rods and modeling with the help of the videos, and once my kids started the Miquon books they just took off. I love Miquon!

I started using Miquon when I started feeling like pulling different things together all the time was wearing on me, and I was pretty sure DD could handle more. I still used EU to give me ideas on how speak about the concepts in Miquon, games to practice where needed...

Depending on what you've already covered, you might need to be prepared to skip some stuff in Miquon until you find the right level of challenge. But look first for any especially interesting problems snuck in there... My DD has loved negative numbers since a problem with them was "snuck in" on a sheet pretty early in the program :). Square numbers, same thing. It's a rich, rich program...

I think of education unboxed and the teaching part and Miquon lab pages and the practice. I love Miquon and it makes math make sense to me and fun, but b/c I don't have a very strong math brain, I cannot always explain to my kids how to do the sheets--that's where the videos come in for me. She helps you explain the concepts and then you can go to the book to practice. Also, the book is more advanced IMO--my DD didn't really take off w/ the orange book until she was closer to 6. I'm finding this w/ my DS5 who is not using it. We are going really slowly and using the videos mostly for now.