Menu

Where to start?

songsparrow

Every single room in my house looks worn and faded.  We moved in here 13 years ago and that was the last time everything got a fresh coat of paint.  The house desperately needs to be updated with fresh paint and other minor repairs.  But when I try to figure out where to begin, I can't decide.  It feels like everything needs attention at once, and I feel overwhelmed!  

So, any recommendations for how to prioritize?  

Is there a room that would be easier to paint than others? For me, it's the kitchen. Not a whole lot of wall space, no huge furniture to move except the fridge.  Just painting one room might motivate you -  pick the room that will be the easiest to paint and get back together.  

My living room is huge with lots of windows and trim. There are 4 door openings and 9 windows in my living room. So no way would I attempt that unless I had a week to devote to it.  But some other areas like a bathroom or kitchen? A single day will freshen those walls. Then updating window treatments or something can easily be added. 

It's hard when it seems like EVERYTHING needs work. Our house is old (134 years) so I keep a master list of projects to be done...sorted by length of time they need and whether we have to hire it out.  The list is overwhelming but it makes it so easy to quickly choose a project when we have some time. For instance, we have next weekend free so we picked a project from our list and my job this week it to prep the area so it'll be ready to tackle on Saturday morning.  If you're a list person, making that master list can be helpful. If you're not a list person, it's just overwhelming and depressing. 

Start with a small goal and once you see the reward, move up.  

I like to start with my main half bath on the main floor that everyone uses multiple times per day.  I can make major changes for under $100 in just a day or two.  I pick a new print for the wall and get my color inspiration from there. 

A coat of paint is 2 quarts for me, a new rug, new hand towels (no bath so no bath towels).  A new candle and a new print for the wall.  I can do it all for under $100 and in one weekend.   If you have an extra $50, a new faucet can really make a difference in the look of the bathroom. Add another $50-100 and a new decorative light bar over the sink can make a huge difference. 

Stores like HomeGoods or TJ Maxx/Marshalls are your best friend for these quick types of redos.   

This is what I'm in the middle of right now. I started with my bedroom because it's where I relax and read and I wanted it to be the best relaxing and reading space in the house. Now that I've got a space to escape from everything else, I've moved on to the kitchen and dining area. I'm saving the living area for last because it seems like such a big project and by being last, I have lots of time to think over how I want to approach it.

Good luck. Every accomplishment feels great and looks so fresh. Remember to enjoy the process.