Menu

EAD starting to offer online courses....

Joan in GE

For those who don't know about EAD, it's a Belgian correspondance program that has a fairly large offering of free courses...In the past, I had had problems with the shipping because if you don't live in Belgium, they send the coursework by the cheapest method (as shipping is also free) which for us was very slow.

But now that they're going online, there won't be that problem...So people in Europe looking for coursework in French might consider this...

Enseignment a distance (EAD)

There were a few discussions about the offerings several years ago...

Personally we've most used them for high school level French - literature analysis. We also started the German but found dc needed something more interactive. And we started biology but it was so old at the time (don't know if they've updated but perhaps with things going online they will), dating from the 80's....

One course is not equal to one credit of work and they are a bit difficult in that way as not all the French courses are equal amounts of 'work/material'...but they're useful as part of a program, especially if you have a base already.

They have enough other offerings that it could be good for a bilingual program as well...

Oh yes, there is an initial fee of 37.50 Euros if you are not Belgian (or see their list of exemptions)...but you can take as many courses as you want after paying that fee.

Do you have an idea how French as first language at EAD relates to French as Foreign Language a la CEFR?

I like the idea, and living in Belgium would make probably everything free, but I'm not sure where  to start after the grade 8 / A2-level exams.

( and if everything I try, won't work this year I probably need something to prepare those exams...}

Hmmm...I don't know what CEFR is...

Dc did the high school level courses as if French is their first language....and work we did with French as a Foreign language was primary school level, ages ago. So I don't have much to compare for you....sorry!

I think i have used the wrong abbreviation, in Dutch it os ERK, In English CERF or something like that.

It is about the A2 , B2, C1 leveling.

Well one interesting thing about those comparisons I find is that the C levels are pretty difficult, involving giving presentations that might be difficult at a Jr Hi level for example...So sometimes, for some 'native' speakers, if they don't have a university track education, they might not actually be able to pass a C-level exam....this depends on the country of course and what 'obligatory schooling' involves...Here, students can go on to apprenticeships after the age of 14 or 15 and then they wouldn't always have developed those kind of skills...

But if you look at the document describing the levels in generalities, they say that C level does not mean to imply native speaker profiency - I suppose there they mean someone who has a university education...Here's a very simplified self-assessment grid

And you were right - it is CEFR