Menu

Jealous, possessive cat

stephanier.1765

We've always had cats and dogs but this is a new one for me and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Our last cat addition (he's been here a year) has decided that I'm his person. He's just like my dog where as he always has to be near me no matter where I am in the house. Which is all fine and good, except that he's decided that no other pet can have that privilege. He uses his body to maneuver the dog away from me and if that doesn't work he will resort to his claws. If one of the other 2 cats come to me looking for attention or even just passing by within my sphere, he will charge them using his claws to drive them away.

On one hand, I'm flattered that he wants me as his person but on the other, this is out of hand. What do I do to protect the other animals without depriving him of the comfort he finds in my company?

ETA: picture of the culprit

15135683150_2e49153070_n.jpg

I would treat him pretty much the same way I would treat a dog who is overly possessive -- any unwanted behavior means he immediately loses my attention or is deprived of being in close proximity to me.

On my lap and he's mean to one of the other pets?  Off the lap he goes.  Immediately, calmly and with no drama at all.

I'd keep a crate in an out-of-the-way spot, and if I was cooking or moving around the house and he was sticking close by me and was mean to another kitty (or dog) who came around then into the crate he would go for a few minutes of "time out."  Again, done calmly and w/o drama.

In short, make the opposite of what he wants to happen occur when he's a bad boy.  They usually catch on pretty fast that the unwanted behavior has the opposite result of what they're after.

I'd use basic behaviorism to countercondition & desensitize him to the presence of other animals near you. Reward him with a brief pet or chin scritch or a small bit of treat every time another animal gets near you.

Also consider using a feliway plugin to see if he calms down a bit.

Make sure he's not being stressed by the other animals when you're not there. Is it possible that while he's acting tough around you, he's being bullied when you're not there? If there were spats or litter box accidents, I'd consider that as evidence...

I'd also try to give him lots of individual time. He could be acting like this because he's very insecure, not because he's being bossy.

Not precisely the same thing.  I used to have two cats, one of which was assertively demanding of my attention (Maine Coon) and the other was passive and avoided conflict.  Whenever the passive one would settle into my lap, the assertive one would kick her off and take her place.  What I did was kick the assertive one off every time she kicked off the other kitty.  I would poke a finger in her belly until she left.  But, if the assertive one just sat down nearby then she got love and attention.  It took a couple of months but it worked.  

I also trained the assertive one to leave my cross stitch thread alone.  She could be in my lap and the thread would land on her and she would leave it alone.  Whenever she went for the thread I did the low growl that a mother cat might do in warning when really pissed off.  

eta: I wonder if the culprit in the OP has some Maine Coone?  That ruff brought back memories.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the depriving him of my attention and space when he's being naughty. I've done it before but not on a routine basis and maybe routine will get some sense through his hard head.

shawthorne44, you might be on to something with the Maine Coon. While he's not as big as one, he is a big boy. The picture doesn't do him justice. He is easily twice the size of my female cat in weight and length and stands several inches taller. He is a majestic specimen of a cat.

Nice that he put down the book he was reading to pose for the pix.

My girl Hannah gets so jealous of the other cats.  After lots of me making her leave my lap when she was mean to the other cats, she is pretty good now (most of the time).  She still gets jealous of the computer, she is right now next to me crying for me to pay attention to her so gotta go lol.