Menu

Kitchen cabinet help, please!

amyinva

A dear friend is building her forever home, and is trying to choose kitchen cabinets. She wants white. She is trying to not spend a fortune, but wants good quality. Any thoughts on brands?

Please let me hear positive and negative feedback for cabinet brands! She is leaning toward Kraftmaid right now, but isn't sure it's the best choice.

Thank you!!

Amy

When we built, we went to a local cabinet store.  Our cabinets were not locally made, but they had a much better selection and quality than the big box store.  We ended up going with these in Maple Ivory:  http://www.homecrestcabinetry.com/products/heritage I have loved the finish on them.  We've had them for 18 months and are pretty hard on our kitchen.  They don't have a scratch on them, and messes clean right up with the finish they have.  We got soft close drawers, and tall cabinets that go all the way up to the ceiling.  

We used Fieldstone for our remodel several years ago.  We were happy with them. For our new build, we are doing custom with a local cabinet maker.  We looked at using Fieldstone again, but they had quite an upcharge for a painted cabinet.  I'd recommend checking www.gardenweb.com under the home forums in the kitchen section.  There are many on there that are more familiar with cabinet brands.  

I'd strongly encourage her to check a few different custom cabinet makers. We found three who could do our job pretty much right away, and the one we ended up going with was cheaper than the cabinets we'd been looking at. It also offered us the opportunity to do things that would have been even more costly with Kraftmaid and similar brands. For example, we had our uppers made to be 13" deep to accommodate some large plates and pasta bowls we have. Getting a big-box brand made deeper was going to be so expensive we weren't going to do it. There was no extra charge for that from the custom guy we went with. We also could set the exact heights we wanted for drawers (so we have a drawer to accommodate our large stock pot, for example), and we could use every inch of space on cupboards and drawers as we wanted, without needing to use filler pieces. All that was for less than the ones we looked at and priced out at Home Depot.