Menu

Can you help me find a boring book?

My 5 year old has severe anxiety...diagnosed, being treated, but still very debilitating.

I have always struggled to find read-aloud books that he can tolerate.  

For reference, here are some books that were too scary:

Curious George

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (he doesn't like that the caterpillar gets sick from eating the foods)

The Little Engine that Could

Blueberries for Sal 

And more than 75% of all other books we own or see at the library

I had pretty much given up on finding fiction novels (he does slightly better with non-fiction) until I picked up Anne of Green Gables and started reading that to him.  He liked it.  I think because it is so slow and spends so much time describing the path of brooks and the type of lace curtains, etc.  I skipped a few short parts that would have led to full on panic attacks, but skipping them did not overly detract from the rest of the story.  

Now we are reaching the end and I am desperate to find something else to read that is equally "boring".  Slow, quaint, VERY little conflict.  He likes animals stories, but Thornton Burgess stories are too scary.  Winnie the Pooh is too scary.  Normal kindergarten fare like James and the Giant Peach and Charlotte's Web are WAY too scary.

Can you think of anything that might fit the bill?

Thanks,

Wendy

Old Bear and Friends by Jane Hissey

Cobble Street Cousins

The Cats of Cuckoo Square

the young kids' books by Shirley Hughes

Frog and Toad are Friends

if he liked Anne, then yes, some of the other Anne books. Avonlea and the Island would prob be ok.

and maybe Swallows and Amazons? (except Peter Duck - that's a pirate story...

I also think if you find something he likes, it's ok to read that again and again ...

First of all hugs, that sounds tough to deal with. What are some of the things that happen that he finds scary? Is it conflict, failure, getting in trouble? Are there any tv shows or movies he likes? Knowing types of things that trigger the anxiety may help us help you find good books.

Have you tried James Herriots Treasury for Children? I don't think it's boring but maybe it wouldn't be too scary.

My 6 year old suggests books my Dick King-Smith. But he said in Pigs Might Fly at first the pig can't swim which your son may find scary.

Except there is death at the end of Anne of Green Gables - and that might be traumatic! (Can't think of anything boring enough for you right now.)

He actually doesn't care about death.  He doesn't understand why people find it sad or scary...it is other people's emotions surrounding the death that he can't deal with.  At the beginning of that chapter, I just stated matter of factly who had died and then skipped past all the mourning.  He was actually much more concerned about the hair dying than the actual dying.

Wendy

Maybe try Carolyn Haywood Books. The author wrote them in the 40's and they're mostly about daily life. I think once and awhile the kids get in trouble, I remember in "Two Plus Two is Four" the little boy eats his dad's pear, and is scolded. Since Ann gets in a lot more trouble than that, it should be okay? She wrote over 40 books and "Betsy" and Eddie" have several books apiece. They're all on Amazon which has more of a description.

Here's a few titles:

B is for Betsy

Betsy and Billy

Two Plus Two is Four

Little Eddie

Here's a Penny

C is for Cupcake

I wonder... It seems like the books that were too scary all had fantastical elements. Yet something real like a death is okay? Maybe you don't need boring books, you just need everyday life and everyday kids books...

How about The Saturdays? The each have adventures, but pretty simple ones. The second book is even more tame after they move to the country. About the scariest thing is a bicycle ride with a character that can't figure out how to break. In that same vein, All-of-a-Kind Family or even The Penderwicks, though there's more tension and anger in The Penderwicks, so maybe not that one.

How about everyday kid stories that are more contemporary? Andrew Clements has a bunch like Frindle. Or what about the Stink series? Stink only really has adorable things happen to him. What about the Ramona books? Nothing terrible happens to Ramona... well, mean babysitters and teachers and tensions with other kids. But that's what I mean, would he find that scary or would that be okay? See, in picture books, there's the visual element and the vast majority of them have a really fantasy element - talking animals, crazy events, etc. Once you get into chapter books, there's no visuals and there are a lot more average kids doing average things, with just regular every day tensions.

I wonder... It seems like the books that were too scary all had fantastical elements. Yet something real like a death is okay? Maybe you don't need boring books, you just need everyday life and everyday kids books...

How about The Saturdays? The each have adventures, but pretty simple ones. The second book is even more tame after they move to the country. About the scariest thing is a bicycle ride with a character that can't figure out how to break. In that same vein, All-of-a-Kind Family or even The Penderwicks, though there's more tension and anger in The Penderwicks, so maybe not that one.

How about everyday kid stories that are more contemporary? Andrew Clements has a bunch like Frindle. Or what about the Stink series? Stink only really has adorable things happen to him. What about the Ramona books? Nothing terrible happens to Ramona... well, mean babysitters and teachers and tensions with other kids. But that's what I mean, would he find that scary or would that be okay? See, in picture books, there's the visual element and the vast majority of them have a really fantasy element - talking animals, crazy events, etc. Once you get into chapter books, there's no visuals and there are a lot more average kids doing average things, with just regular every day tensions.

His therapist thinks the main problems are conflict, emotion and suspense.  When you put it that way, it becomes obvious why the vast majority of books upset him.

He doesn't mind talking animals at all, as long as what they are saying is calm and unemotional (he can deal with about half of the Frog and Toad stories).  A mean babysitter or teacher, though, would cause him to panic.  He can't deal with average, everyday tensions - the one time he watched Caillou he left the room sobbing when the show started foreshadowing that it was going to rain on their picnic.  Too suspenseful and out of control.

I think he likes Anne of Green Gables, because the negative emotions are very muted.  Even when Anne gets in trouble, Marilla's reactions are fairly calm...or, at least, I can read them that way.  Some of the major conflicts (Anne yelling at Mrs. Lynde, Gilbert teasing Anne, the girls getting in trouble for jumping on the bed), though, I had to paraphrase and tone down.  I expect I will have to do that with almost any book, but it makes it easier if there are a limited number of conflicts I have to work around and if they are not integral to the story.

Wendy

Hmm... taking Robert Mcloskey as an example if "Blueberrries for Sal" was to stressful with its issues of separartion. I would try "Time of Wonder" next... the storm scene is the only conflict. Then you could try "One Morning in Maine" where the only conflict is the lost tooth. "Make Way for Ducklings" is probably on par with "One Morning in Maine". "Homer Price" is right out...

IF Pooh is too stressful you, then you basically need books that just have narrative descriptions. Sometimes after exciting read alouds, DS7 has liked to be read botany guides and other nature guides. At a younger age he would often request to be read to about flowers after a overstimulating read aloud. Maybe something like that could help...This is a really tough one.

Hmm...you could start a sci fi thread with a similar title to draw in sci fi fans...I wonder if there are any Star Trek novels written from the nice logical perspective of Spock, or sci fi that focuses on science and not conflict?  Some of the sci fi that bores me might be a great fit, I'm thinking, but I quit books that bore me!

Five Little Peppers and how they grew.

Little Women.

My son has a low level of what you describe -- suspense being too much. He leaves in the midst of even kids movies like Cars because he can't handle certain parts.  But then he will come back.

I am not 100% certain but he "skips ahead" in reading books to make sure they come out okay. Then goes back to read once assured. (or maybe not? I better figure this out for sure) He loves poetry.

Now we are reaching the end and I am desperate to find something else to read that is equally "boring".  Slow, quaint, VERY little conflict.  He likes animals stories, but Thornton Burgess stories are too scary.  Winnie the Pooh is too scary.  Normal kindergarten fare like James and the Giant Peach and Charlotte's Web are WAY too scary.

Can you think of anything that might fit the bill?

DS never had this level of anxiety but before we resolved his sleep disorder, we often needed something calming for the *long* glide path to sleep. One thing that worked well for us was narrations about our own childhoods. Another especially helpful thing was guided visualizations... relax, now I'm going to tell you about going on a train trip... the train is bumpity, bumping along in to the sunset, the trees are passing along outside, they are slowly blurring as we speed by, it is getting darker and darker,the engine is clicking along, etc,etc... all very calm on the glide path to sleep. Nature books that describe either physiology or the beauty of nature also worked.  Finding things that describe the beauty of nature w/o conflict is a huge challenge... as you well know since the Burgess books have not worked.

On another tack, sometime things that engaged his logical mind but not his emotional mind helped. So nonfiction could calm him. "You Can Count on Monsters" or Dan Green's  "The Elements" have often helped calm anxiety.

ETA: What about poetry. Robert Frost has been popular with my kids... lots of imagery, not much conflict... find a good anthology and see what appeals.

For poetry -- You could try Shel Silverstein. That is what my son is reading currently

Robert Louis Stevenson is not as funny, but good quality

That is a great summary.

However, often humor involves setting up a tension that the OP might want to avoid.

RLS's "Child's Garden of Verse" has lots of impressionistic poems with little to no conflict.

The Relatives Came--Cynthia Rylant

Pancakes, Pancakes--Eric Carle

The Tree Lady--H. Joseph Hopkins (a biography of Kate Sessions, who planted the majority of the trees in San Diego)

My daughter, the resident Thornton Burgess expert, says The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver are not scary (I have not read).

I'm listening to the All-of-a-Kind Family audiobook right now, and it does seem pretty dull. :)

Best of luck to you!  I hope you can find some great books he will enjoy.

For poetry -- You could try Shel Silverstein. That is what my son is reading currently

Robert Louis Stevenson is not as funny, but good quality

That is a great summary.

However, often humor involves setting up a tension that the OP might want to avoid.

RLS's "Child's Garden of Verse" has lots of impressionistic poems with little to no conflict.

I agree.  I wouldn't suggest Shel Silverstein. 

I think The Five Little Peppers would be upsetting. They're good kids but they react with anguish a lot. When Polly gets scarlet finger and hurts here eyes, she cries  and nearly "destroys" her eyes, Joel almost dies during that too, Phronsie gets kidnapped by the organ grinder and almost gets run down by a carriage in the city. In later books in the series Joel is shot, robbers come into the King's house, there's a train wreck, another break-in of the King's house...

As I write more I find that there was actually a LOT going on in this series!

If he likes repetition and illustrations and Robert Frost works out, I love this illustrated version of Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening:

http://www.amazon.com/Stopping-By-Woods-Snowy-Evening/dp/0525467343/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411160801&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=robert+frost+illustrate+book+children

We own this and it is a lovely book. DS5's favorite is this collection of "Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost" http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Young-People-Robert-Frost/dp/1402754752 In addition to the usual favorites, he also really likes both "Birches" and "A Prayer in Spring"...

The entire "Poetry for Young People" series is nicely curated and illustrated.

We own this and it is a lovely book. DS5's favorite is this collection of "Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost" http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Young-People-Robert-Frost/dp/1402754752 In addition to the usual favorites, he also really likes both "Birches" and "A Prayer in Spring"...

The entire "Poetry for Young People" series is nicely curated and illustrated.

That looks like a nice edition. I love Birches, it is in my top 3 Frost poems. I have a complete volume of Frost, but the illustrated ones are good for reading to children, my complete volume is for adults and is not illustrated.

These are books that I recall as being pretty gentle, but it's been awhile since I read some of them personally.

Milly-Molly-Mandy

Twig

The Teddy Robinson Storybook

Raggedy Ann Stories

Pickle-Chiffon Pie

We Help Mommy (and pretty much all of Eloise Wilkin's other books)

Biscuit's Storybook Collection

Around the Year (and most other books by Elsa Beskow)

I think The Five Little Peppers would be upsetting. They're good kids but they react with anguish a lot. When Polly gets scarlet finger and hurts here eyes, she cries  and nearly "destroys" her eyes, Joel almost dies during that too, Phronsie gets kidnapped by the organ grinder and almost gets run down by a carriage in the city. In later books in the series Joel is shot, robbers come into the King's house, there's a train wreck, another break-in of the King's house...

As I write more I find that there was actually a LOT going on in this series!

LOL - I was just going to suggest that book because it has to be, hands down, the most boring book I've ever read.  Well, actually we listened to it on tape.  It was soooo boring, I think I may have gone into a coma.  But you might be right about there being melodrama... that didn't make it any less boring for me, but it sounds like it still might upset OP's son...

What about the Bobsey Twins or Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Mrs Piggle Wiggle has children dealing with issues but usually in a low conflict and unemotional way. Or maybe Harold and the Purple Crayon? Some of those can get pretty long and Harold can solve any problem with his crayon.

Or Trumpet of the Swan? Louis is pretty calm. There's one part where his father has a dramatic near death experience, but it turns out well and you could skip over the tense part.

I was also going to suggest Little House in the Big Woods.  There are a couple of scary chapters when Pa is talking about animals in the woods, but I think you could totally skip those.  Many of the other chapters are simple descriptions of the way they lived their lives.

Many of the Margaret Wise Brown books are simple narratives.  We have a poetry collection by her called Mouse of My Heart that we've enjoyed.

Maybe you've already tried this, but because I personally don't like too much of certain kinds of tension (like, I would never want to be caught off guard by a book or movie ending really sadly or a main character dying), I somewhat often read a full description on Wikipedia (or imdb in the case of movies). I enjoy the book/movie/tv show so much more after I know what kind of ending it has. I wonder, OP, if you gave your son an account of the tension/action in the book ahead of time, if he would have a better time enjoying the book after that. We've enjoyed a lot of the books mentioned already, so I am not sure I can think of any more lower-tension books to add! I guess I will second the suggestion of the Betsy Tacy books. They are very sweet and the small amount of "mischief" they get into is pretty low tension.

Milly Molly Mandy.  We had to read that in Sonlight Core PreK and NOTHING happened to those kids.  Dull.  Dull. Dull.

I really like the Carolyn Haywood books--the "Betsy" series, and there are "Eddie" books and other ones.  They were written between the 1930s and 1960s, I think; very mellow and calm.

Also, Lamplighter publishing has some dull books too--I got suckered into buying some at a homeschool convention--they are reprints of old books, beautiful bindings.  ANd it's nice to have some "solid characters" and all that--but they are not highly exciting, nothing much happens.  And if you look at the titles, you can search for many of them free on Google Books.

B---

I wish I knew the name of the book that Dh still makes fun of.

Years ago I had a book out from the library about a cow. It was a calm book about the daily life of a cow. Dh couldn't stand it because it was so boring. He changed the text to be (It was similiar to this in content, just more poetic)

The cow chewed and chewed and chewed. 

The cow stood and stood and stood. 

The cow walked and walked and walked. 

The cow pooed and pooed and pooed. (He added this bit)

Repeat the above a few times with slight variations

The cow went home. 

This actually is the life of a cow.

That cracks me up.