Menu

Looking for a UK person to help with an ebay purchase

Tammi K

My daughter wants to purchase a jacket that is only available on the UK ebay site. She has searched and can't find it here. Is there anyone who would be willing to help us? I will cover all costs of purchase, postage, etc.

I've been on the hive for several years. I'm not a new-comer trying to do something sneaky. There are people here who know me in real life. (And it's not a pricy purchase) 

Can someone help a Alaskan girl out? 

Does the seller specify selling only to UK buyers?  Otherwise you should have no problem dealing with the seller directly.

FWIW I joined Ebay when we lived in the UK, so my Ebay account still said Ebay UK for a long time, till I finally figured out how to switch it to the US.  I kept having sellers tell me they couldn't ship in the UK, even though we had moved back to the US :P

Unfortunately, they do say only UK> I sent an email asking if they would make an exception. I haven't received a reply yet.

It could be a customs issue. The U.S. customs do open up parcels to check for what is declared and then seal back in an untidy way with their tape.

ETA:

For international parcels. I think parcels from my parents clear through SFO customs office.

When I am on the U.S. eBay looking for something, on the left side I can (and do) specify things that are only in the U.S.  One can also specify worldwide products... There should not be an issue, IF the eBay Seller wants to make the sale AND is willing to ship via an acceptable (to the purchaser) company, with insurance. Going through customs should not be a problem for a jacket, unless it is something incredibly expensive, in which case probably a Customs Broker would be required.  If it can be shipped by the British Post Office, with insurance, or FedEx, DHL, etc., it will get to the buyer OK.  I have seen a few textbooks on Amazon USA listed by Sellers in the UK, but this jacket is on eBay. It depends upon whether or not the eBay Seller wants to make the sale or not. Also, it may depend upon the Shipping Address being registered with eBay.  My Shipping Address in Miami is registered with eBay and I just click to have things sent to our Forwarder in Miami.  The eBay Seller possibly has had an an issue with Customs or something and is wary of international sales now. Obviously, all of the risk of the Buyer not being happy with the jacket, or it not fitting properly, or being damaged, etc.,  falls on the Buyer, because if she doesn't like the jacket, it will be too expensive to return it to the UK to the Seller for a refund. GL

ETA: One should *always* assume that packages will be opened in Customs. The last laptop we bought from BlairTG on Amazon was opened by Colombian Customs in Bogota for inspection. I think the first laptop we bought from them wasn't opened in Customs. Sometimes packages with textbooks or other things are opened, sometimes not.  When things are opened for inspection by Colombian Customs (DIAN) they are sealed with tape that clearly shows DIAN and it is obvious before opening the package that it had been opened for inspection. We have never had a problem with Customs here.

ALL international packages should have documentation in them describing exactly what it is and exactly what it cost. That is the "CIF" cost (Cost including Freight).  If I buy something on Amazon or eBay, the CIF cost declared is what it costs us including shipping  it into Miami.  

It a 5 euro  used hoodie. It's not likely to be something customs would be concerned about.   I'm not at all worried about that. It's just that the seller hasn't responded to my request to ship it and the add doesn't list international shipping as available.   So, I need to find someone to receive it and stick it in a plastic envelope and drop it in the mail.   Ugh. She's been looking for this hoodie and can't find it here.  The auction ends tonight so I suspect she's just going to miss it.

Very inexpensive!  I hope someone in the UK can help you out, because if the eBay Seller hasn't responded to you and the auction is expiring, that may be the end. However, I am watching something on eBay and there is one Seller who keeps listing her auction, because her item doesn't sell, because of the price she wants plus her shipping price.  She's listed it a number of times and nobody will buy it at her price... So, if they don't sell it with this listing, they may list it again, in a few days or a week. The eBay Seller may not have checked their email and may not have seen your message on eBay. GL