Menu

Something is in the water around here...

SemiSweet

In the past two weeks I have encountered more craziness than in my whole life previously. Seriously, some guy yelled at me in the Costco parking lot for walking behind his car when I thought he was done backing up (because he had stopped), he continued yelling for as long as it took for me to get out of earshot. Then another woman in a parking lot yelled at me for not using the crosswalk, she wasn't even close to us, and the it's a parking lot, people walk through them. Today at the grocery store a guy made grouch faces at my daughter for acting like a 9 year old, even though she got out of his way way before he came close to her. And another guy went off I her for saying it was raining, and it was!

A lady about a mile from my house made national news for her road rage, and another military spouse posted pics on a local page of a spouse wearing workout clothes in the store in order to shame her.

Seriously, what is going on? I have never had a confrontation in my life. In each case we weren't doing anything wrong or offensive. The only thing even remotely questionable would've been the guy who was backing out, it was my fault, I mistakenly thought he was done or stopped for us, I also had a crying toddler and the costco was more packed than I've ever seen it, seriously, it actually took me 15 minutes to just find a parking spot, and over 20 minutes in line to check out.

Are people getting crazier everywhere?

It's really kind of unsettling. I'm a rather quiet laid back person and these kinds of things rattle me. I don't do confrontation at all. It also seems like every time I look on the news there are random shootings for minor transgressions, maybe that's always been a thing too, but I don't recall hearing as much about it. It's so strange to me to get worked up enough to yell at someone.

People are getting more and more impatient and aggressive, imho. I even notice it in myself...that rising i

annoyance with someone in the grocery store or on the road. I usually stop myself and calm down....but it seems that people are increasingly losing their ability to censor themselves.

This is definitely the most annoying part. I agree with a PP, it's like a virus.

I get incredibly disappointed in myself when I "catch it" and don't always censor myself quickly enough. I don't yell and scream at random strangers, but I do make faces or growl-sigh at times.

I used to be so Zen. Everything was like water off a duck's back. This is no longer true. :(

People are getting more and more impatient and aggressive, imho. 

Impatient, aggressive, reactive, unable to listen to anything beyond their own voice (I'm seeing a lot of this), unable to deal with people disagreeing with them, unable to be uncomfortable for even a second...  Yep.  After witnessing a number of seemingly-ordinary people lose it, I've told my older kids to just get away if someone gets aggressive with them.  Just an example, about a year ago, a huge screaming match broke out in a waiting room of a kid's activity.  Yep.  Very mature, People.  It was like the beginning of a WWE fight where they're all taking turns screaming at each other.  ALL of the kids were crying, including one of the teenaged helpers.  It was absolutely disgusting.  I'm still disgusted a year later.      

This is definitely the most annoying part. I agree with a PP, it's like a virus.

I get incredibly disappointed in myself when I "catch it" and don't always censor myself quickly enough. I don't yell and scream at random strangers, but I do make faces or growl-sigh at times.

I used to be so Zen. Everything was like water off a duck's back. This is no longer true. :(

I know... I can caulk some of it up to menopause for me but all of it??  And even so,  I don't want this to be my new-normal.   But, I can't say that the whole country (or most of it since not everyone is like this) is going through menopause at the same time. 

Impatient, aggressive, reactive, unable to listen to anything beyond their own voice (I'm seeing a lot of this), unable to deal with people disagreeing with them, unable to be uncomfortable for even a second... Yep. After witnessing a number of seemingly-ordinary people lose it, I've told my older kids to just get away if someone gets aggressive with them. Just an example, about a year ago, a huge screaming match broke out in a waiting room of a kid's activity. Yep. Very mature, People. It was like the beginning of a WWE fight where they're all taking turns screaming at each other. ALL of the kids were crying, including one of the teenaged helpers. It was absolutely disgusting. I'm still disgusted a year later.

Wow, that sounds horrifying. :(

We have talked to the kids about this too, my rule is "don't engage with crazies". I try to apply that in all facets of life because it wastes so much energy. Just remove yourself and ignore.

That sounds like typical behavior around here now.  It has been going on for at least a year now.  I honked at someone who was backing into me as I was leaving the parking lot at a grocery store a few weeks ago.  A woman and her children were walking out of the store (not even close to me) and she assumed I was honking at her and just started screaming at me.  Then when I got past them and turned the corner (still in the parking lot) her husband came running after me screaming.  I guess next time I should just let the car backing up hit me???

That sounds like typical behavior around here now. It has been going on for at least a year now. I honked at someone who was backing into me as I was leaving the parking lot at a grocery store a few weeks ago. A woman and her children were walking out of the store (not even close to me) and she assumed I was honking at her and just started screaming at me. Then when I got past them and turned the corner (still in the parking lot) her husband came running after me screaming. I guess next time I should just let the car backing up hit me???

That's crazy. I think it's kind of scary that people like this are influencing their children, who will then think it's normal behavior. :(

It's kind of bizarre this school year. A public elementary school my older attended had a bomb scare and evacuation on the first day of school. Last Friday a local public high school had a bomb scare and evacuation. So two bomb scares a month apart.

We had a near accident a few days ago of a car driving straight at us at a T-junction ignoring our honking. He didn't look like he might be texting but he might be drunk, it was late evening.

I have noticed this too. I live in a small town, and people who want to sell things often post on a Facebook sale site. Everyday. Everday, people get into huge fights online over the littlest things, and then offer to meet-up in person to fight it out! It's just crazy. 

I've really thought after this week, the hermit life could be for me.

I have noticed this too. I live in a small town, and people who want to sell things often post on a Facebook sale site. Everyday. Everday, people get into huge fights online over the littlest things, and then offer to meet-up in person to fight it out! It's just crazy. 

I've really thought after this week, the hermit life could be for me.

I've seen this too.  It's like people are just looking to start fights.  Over anything and everything.  All the time.  It's so weird.  

I'd like to think that living in a military community would mean that people would behave a bit better, but I have not found that to be the case.  :(