Menu

Two pre-algebra questions...

Tabletclass is too easy and there's not enough problems for my liking, and AOPS is (probably) too hard. I'm missing Singapore, which combined with 3 different word problem books ;) was just right. My kid also likes Fred though I cannot stand it. Is there an inbetween program you might recommend? I would need full solutions here.

Secondly, when your kid moves into preAlgebra, do you continue to drill the more complicated arithmetic, such as say, operations of decimals and fractions, or is the prealgebra program supposed to provide sufficient review of that in due course? I'm torn on this. Considering maintaining 5 min of drill, maybe via ixl or math mammouth.

Jousting Armadillos was a great easier-than-AoPS, but still requiring a lot of thought type of program.  If you put it together with something like Zaccaro Real World Algebra, I think you have a very strong, very word-problem heavy PreAlgebra.

We didn't continuously drill arithmetic, but we probably should have.  We did come back to it in loops via online practice like Khan and Alcumus.  I do think it's important to continue praqcticing that stuff.  I think in a traditional textbook you might get that built in, but the route we took, we did need to consciously add it in.  DD did Adapted Mind last year for practice, and she's currently doing Alcumus and/or Khan, behind where she is in Algebra, for review of the basic stuff.  Not every day, but every week for sure.

Dolciani?  We switched to it this year from Saxon and my son and I are both enjoying it.  It's not flashy but I think it explains things well and includes lots of review.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411144399&sr=8-1&keywords=dolciani+prealgebra+accelerated

Dolciani? We switched to it this year from Saxon and my son and I are both enjoying it. It's not flashy but I think it explains things well and includes lots of review.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411144399&sr=8-1&keywords=dolciani+prealgebra+accelerated

I love that you included a link because I cannot abide dealing with all the Dolciani versions. Is there a teacher manual for this one?

I love that you included a link because I cannot abide dealing with all the Dolciani versions. Is there a teacher manual for this one?

I'm not 100% sure.  I think there may be but it's super expensive if you can find it.  There are answers to the odd problems in the back of the book however, and I'm pretty sure it's okay to do only the even or odd problems (I know there are certain math programs where that's a no-no)

We went with Lial's for this year which has word problems in every section as well as more 'traditional' problems.  It starts a little slow for my youngest son, who is very math adept, but I know from using it in the past that the it picks up.  I am keeping an eye on whether it will be engaging enough for him.  

Depending how far you went with Singapore you might look at the middle school versions of Math In Focus (Courses 1,2,3).  They are based on Singapore Math and have activity and practice books that provide more extensive problems than the text.

Is there a reason why you abandoned Singapore?  DS is finishing up 7B now, and it's been just brilliant-- and many of the problems in the TM are fully worked out, not just answers (and you can always get an assist by posting on Wolfram Alpha or even posting here generally).

Oh, and don't discount Fred ;)  From Fractions on up, your kiddo works it independently anyway (though I do recommend parent involvement in the Economics book because some of the author's opinions in that book . . . can get a little flaky, but the math is still rock solid-- coming from a math professor's household here, and one in which older DS is using Fred as his sole curriculum, currently up to Advanced Algebra) so it doesn't have to matter too much if it freaks you out, as long as kiddo likes it and is actually studying it properly rather than zipping through and just skimming the surface.

Oh, and Math Mammoth has released the first half of its pre-A program; the second half should be out in time for the second half of the year.  That would still leave you needing something for algebra and on up though if you still can't stomach Fred (which is not everyone's cup o' tea).

Thanks all. By way of update, after leaving Singapore I am discovering some major holes, and panicking a bit. My DS can set up and solve an equation for a fairly complicated word problem, yet the operations of decimals, fractions and negative numbers, and even some order of operations stuff confuses him. Not sure where I went wrong. So we are doing some prealgebra but also going back and drilling the above. I'm still adrift on curriculum but using ixl, tabletclass and will add MM with all the worksheets.

Thanks all. By way of update, after leaving Singapore I am discovering some major holes, and panicking a bit. My DS can set up and solve an equation for a fairly complicated word problem, yet the operations of decimals, fractions and negative numbers, and even some order of operations stuff confuses him. Not sure where I went wrong. So we are doing some prealgebra but also going back and drilling the above. I'm still adrift on curriculum but using ixl, tabletclass and will add MM with all the worksheets.

Operations with decimals, fractions, negative numbers and order of operations are reviewed, usually toward the beginning, of almost any prealgebra text I can think of, including Dolciani (which I will chime in to recommend also; very straightforward, very solid).  I'd go back and use extra stuff only if a chapter on each of those topics would not suffice.

My DS can set up and solve an equation for a fairly complicated word problem, yet the operations of decimals, fractions and negative numbers, and even some order of operations stuff confuses him.

He just haven't reach the extent of automaticity yet. Prealgebra would revisit all those topics again.

Your gut feel would tell you how much review and/or drill your child needs.

We're using Jousting Armadillos but I don't use the answer book. If I needed it I think it'd be cost prohibitive. She also uses Khan for about an hour a week to get a change of pace, because she likes it, and to get extra practice in concepts that need it.

When she needs straight up drill (this week it was for adding/subtracting negative numbers), we find a game on Sheppard software. Even 5 minutes a day of that really adds up quickly!

Did you go through 6B? Seems like so many people don't, and I don't understand why.