Menu

My math challenged child...

Since some of you have been following my DD14's constant struggles with math, I just thought I would update.  After beginning homeschooling 2 years ago and hopping through tons of curriculum (including TT), tutors, etc.  we finally did Dyanmo Math coupled with Ronit Bird book Overcoming Difficulty with numbers and a lot of math games.  It DID help.  Subitization skills, that seemed almost non-existent before, finally seem to be solidifying.  Yeah!!!!  I love both.

But she is still struggling in many areas and desperately wanted independence.  Having me sit beside her daily has been driving her nuts.  We have tried various ways to deal with that, with some success but still this is an ongoing issue.   

Anyway, I started DD on CLE Math, as someone on the LC board recently had suggested (thank you!).  I gave her the placement tests and she barely passed Level 2.  So I started her on Light Unit 2, skipping areas she was testing well on since everything is reviewed constantly anyway.  She loves it.  She is feeling so much more confident and things are going much better now.  I introduce the new concept or review concepts she is rusty on, we do whatever hands-on activity will support the material and she does the workbook on her own.  She even likes the flashcards and speed drills (flash cards and speed drills have NEVER been a good fit or even very useful before but somehow now they are).  

DS10 still prefers Math in Focus but for DD14 CLE seems to be a good fit.  The really tight spiral review has been so helpful.  For instance, she struggles with measurement. Most systems seem to introduce measurement then drop it for weeks or months.  Measurement in CLE gets introduced in increments and gets reviewed all the time.  We measure things nearly daily IRL, then she works in the workbook, and things are starting to stick.  

In fact, she was so proud of herself today that she remembered that 1 meter equals 100 centimeters  without having to measure anything or look at the meter stick or refer to her chart.  And she was happy that she remembered freezing is 32 degrees F and 0 degrees Celsius.  Fractions are coming along really well, too.  Anyway, we had a few nice high five moments today.  Even DS was proud of her.   :)

I realize that even if she finishes Level 2 by November, she may only complete Level 3 or possibly Level 4 by the end of May or beginning of June, and technically she is supposed to be starting 9th grade this next year, but  I have to go at her pace.  She's happy.  And she is learning.  Both of which seem so much more important than some arbitrary timetable set by people who have never met her.  We will work through the summers and some on the weekends and maybe someday her math will catch up with everything else.  Not going to panic or stress at this point.  It doesn't help either one of us (just remind me I said that if I have a moment of weakness further down the road :) ).

Since things are going well for her in many areas (not all, but many), and I know many struggle, I just had to post, hoping it will help someone else in some way.  So many here have helped bolster me through the past two years, and seeing DD happy about math has been a huge relief.  In fact, she was feeling so good about math, she has decided to teach herself Spanish by watching some free program on youtube, writing down the info and having me quiz her after she has reviewed the material for a few days.  She had me quiz her this morning and she did beautifully.  She is working on piano again, too.  All self-motivated.

Who knows what the future holds or how far in math she will actually get?  But for now things are still moving forward and she is happy, for which we are both grateful.   :)

Best wishes to all....

I wanted to say something zen-like about lotus leaves and honesty bringing peace like spring rains on the mountain or something...  

Sounds like you're doing great and I'm happy for your progress!  You're right, things do change.  Development happens.  Things they weren't ready for before are suddenly very right.  I happy that it's happening for you.  It takes us by surprise.  :)

May it continue to rain on your lotus leaves.  :)

I wanted to say something zen-like about lotus leaves and honesty bringing peace like spring rains on the mountain or something...  

Sounds like you're doing great and I'm happy for your progress!  You're right, things do change.  Development happens.  Things they weren't ready for before are suddenly very right.  I happy that it's happening for you.  It takes us by surprise.   :)

May it continue to rain on your lotus leaves.   :)

:lol:   O.k. I'm trying to channel my zen moment here but all I'm doing is laughing...maybe later... :)

Footnote:  I got up late (7:30) and DD had already made breakfast, played some math games with a deck of cards, done her flashcards and her workbook in CLE, as well as taken care of all the animals and cleaned up an accident one of them had.  Now we are getting ready to tackle Barton, etc.  Whose child did I kidnap?  :confused1:  :laugh: