Menu

stressed about our upcoming neuropsych eval

srs

This is just a "need a hug" thread... I had an initial meeting with the evaluation team this week, before DD7 does her testing, and the neuropsych looked at her brain MRI images and report. He told me more specifically about where her brain damage is located and that it is likely impacting her visual processing. For whatever reason, this has left me feeling completely overwhelmed and wondering if perhaps we are in over our heads with homeschooling, although I think she is doing okay with accomodations. My husband is strongly opposed to school for social reasons (he thinks a high functioning disabled child is a target for bullies, and he is probably right), but I am worried that we are leavng help on the table that she will need to be a functioning adult.

And this is all before we hae even done the testing. I feel like I need to find a coping mechanism to get me through the next month and keep homeschooling with confidence.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

As to whether school would be better, that would really depend on the school.  I would say most would NOT be a good fit compared to homeschooling, but I haven't done a survey and I don't know the schools in your area.  I just know the stories I have heard from my family and friends who teach in the ps system, including some who teach special needs and one who has a special needs child in the system.  Networking other parents in a similar situation might net more info....?

And here are some more  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: s. :

Thank you all! Prairiewindmomma, I will definitely take your suggestion and find a good book. We have coincidentally had a cluster of big appointments coming up starting tomorrow, and the stress is getting to me. And it is always hard to keep filling out behavior checklists that basically end up "my child has no friends her own age", and then go to park day and watch it in action. In my heart, I love this child just the way she is, but my heart breaks for her as well, and all that she has to deal with.

Just our been there, done that story.

I have 3 special needs kids, all adopted through foster care so a host of various issues.

I chose to homeschool them until 7th grade.  That let me get them the basics---reading, writing, and math.  They each got to various levels but I felt by then they had a very good foundation.  We were involved in homeschool groups and most had K-6th field trips/co-ops and then 7th-12th.  Even with their special needs, they did OK in the K-6th program as they expected a wide range of behaviors, attention levels, academic skill levels, etc.  I just knew that they would NOT make it in the 7-12th grade program.

2 of the 3 went into a full time special education program for the cognitively impaired while the other one went to resource room classes for her core subjects and then had help and a modified program in science and social studies.

honestly, I think it was the right decision at the right time.  The special education program in our district is VERY good which does make a difference.  It also allowed my kids to have "peers" that were functioning at levels similar to where they were.  The social piece was important.  The school does mainstream where they can as well.

About that age I also started them in Special Olympics in sports that interested them and signed them up for camps with special needs sessions.  One dd does go to regular camp where they are able to handle her special needs.

Even if you chose not to use school soon, later, or ever, you might look into various community opportunities for kids with challenges.  In our area there is a drop in center starting at age 14, a church run program after school one day a week, No More Sidelines (a sports program for ALL kids), etc.  It does take more work but my kids have loved these various activities.

Thank you all! Prairiewindmomma, I will definitely take your suggestion and find a good book. We have coincidentally had a cluster of big appointments coming up starting tomorrow, and the stress is getting to me. And it is always hard to keep filling out behavior checklists that basically end up "my child has no friends her own age", and then go to park day and watch it in action. In my heart, I love this child just the way she is, but my heart breaks for her as well, and all that she has to deal with.