Menu

Easy question: OT eval before or after psych? Does it matter?

PeterPan

Opinion?  I'm trying to make sure I'm doing everything here I need to do and I'm losing my mind.  Got the audiologist scheduled to make sure there's no hearing loss.  I know he has OT issues.  It's just a question of whether that is helpful to the psych to have that done before.  Thoughts?

Hmm. Interesting question. Our NP diagnosed a coordination disorder, and then later the OT confirmed it. The NP gave a recommendation that we seek OT and included a list of recommended OT programs in her report. So in our case, the NP was on top of the OT concerns even without an OT's input. I don't know if all NP's are like this, though.

So I'd say you could do it either way. The psych would probably appreciate an OT report but shouldn't need it to do their job well.

Hmm. Interesting question. Our NP diagnosed a coordination disorder, and then later the OT confirmed it. The NP gave a recommendation that we seek OT and included a list of recommended OT programs in her report. So in our case, the NP was on top of the OT concerns even without an OT's input. I don't know if all NP's are like this, though.

So I'd say you could do it either way. The psych would probably appreciate an OT report but shouldn't need it to do their job well.

Huzzah, you nailed it!  That's what I was trying to figure out.  With dd, we did the reverse, doing OT, etc. first.

Well cool.  Whew.  Thanks.  I'm probably just freaking myself out a bit.  :)

I would do it before. The OT report will be more useful to the NP than the NP report will be to the OT.

LOL, it figures we couldn't stay with consensus!!  LOL  That's what I thought too.  Actually though, our OT for dd said the opposite, that if she had had the np report in-hand, it would have given her the parts of the brain to target with therapies.  Go figure.

LOL, it figures we couldn't stay with consensus!! LOL That's what I thought too. Actually though, our OT for dd said the opposite, that if she had had the np report in-hand, it would have given her the parts of the brain to target with therapies. Go figure.

Probably depends on the OT issues. You can always gets the NP report to the OT for use in therapies if you do the OT eval before the NP.

I would recommend the OT eval first.

With a psych eval, the tests involve demonstrating various cognitive abilities.

Though OT issues can effect the ability to 'Demonstrate' cognition.

Which can skew the results, as the cognition maybe there, but they are unable to demonstrate it?

So that the psych needs to be provided with the OT tests results.

So that they can then select  and give pysch eval tests, that will allow them to demonstrate their cognitive abilities.

I know of numerous children with Speech Apraxia, who were given psych tests without adjusting for their Apraxia.

Where the tests had to be done again, with very different results.

So that you want to make sure that the psych eval tests, are really valid.

I would recommend the OT eval first.

With a psych eval, the tests involve demonstrating various cognitive abilities.

Though OT issues can effect the ability to 'Demonstrate' cognition.

Which can skew the results, as the cognition maybe there, but they are unable to demonstrate it?

So that the psych needs to be provided with the OT tests results.

So that they can then select  and give pysch eval tests, that will allow them to demonstrate their cognitive abilities.

I know of numerous children with Speech Apraxia, who were given psych tests without adjusting for their Apraxia.

Where the tests had to be done again, with very different results.

So that you want to make sure that the psych eval tests, are really valid.

Arg, you're ruining my theory!  You're a very bad man!!!  :D  But seriously, thanks for the chaste advice.  I hadn't thought through it like that.  I'll work on it.

I agree that OT would be nice to have taken care of first. I think having something in hand to take to the NP would help narrow things down a little. Also, if it's from another professional, it may hold more weight than info being from the parent alone (sadly but sometimes that is the way it is). I think when dd went in the first time we had reports from a neurologist, OT, speech, and an early childhood eval from the ps. It did help move things along.

To confuse things even more, our audiologist said we should have had a speech eval before seeing him. He didn't care that public school ed psych & neuro psych both said that no SLP was needed.

His reasoning was that no professional would take a CAPD diagnosis without a recent SLP eval done prior to the sound booth testing.

I had an audiologist tell me that as well!  Never fear, got that part down, lol.  He gets frequent ST and has testing as part of it.  That's testing is sending us to an audiologist next week.  I'm losing my mind!