Menu

Finished subject super early, move on to next grade?

elah

I have a newbie question here. My first grader is flying through her 1st grade phonics and will actually be done with it in about two more weeks. Do I just buy the next level (2nd grade) and keep going? We are not even done with the 1st quart of the school year! I really did have this planned to take the whole year but she loves it and has decided to do a whole weeks worth of lessons each day so that she can read the fun story at the end of each week's worth of lessons and earn a star each day instead of each week. 

She is on target or slightly ahead in every other subject. Having fun and it is not taking all day either. Thanks for your input!

My son ate up grammar for a year or so.  He flew through them the way you are describing.  It really helped him out in the long run.  One day he just stopped doing the whole week in a day and was ready to go back to a normal pace.  So we did.  Be ready for when it stops, but if she is excited something is going really well!  Good job Mom!

Absolutely you can just move on to the next book. Progress isn't always linear or equal in all subjects, so you don't have to relabel her grade or try to match the progress in other subjects.

When she has gone through all the learn to read instruction you can follow with lots of easy to read books to refine skills, introduce new words and build speed and stamina. For that level Cynthia Rylent, Arnold Lobel and DK level 3 & 4 readers were popular with my kids. They'd read a chapter a day.

Definitely! Our books don't line up with our school year. We start a new level at various times throughout the year. It's no big deal. I still label my kids their age based grade, but they work at whatever level they need in each subject. That's exactly why I started homeschooling to begin with - so my oldest son could zoom ahead in reading and math and take a little more time in writing.

For phonics, I would definitely move on to the next book.

With other subjects, flying through a book in a few months can be a sign that you need a more rigorous program (math is one I'd say this about), but there's not anywhere "deeper" you can go with phonics. I had a kid who started the Hooked on Phonics K-2 kit in August and was finished with the whole thing and fluently reading "Frog and Toad" type books by November. At that point I switched him to All About Spelling 1.

I agree with the above.

The one caveat I have is to not get trapped into a view that "This is how it is going to be" and expect to always go through multiple levels in a single year. Sometimes, a quick start simply means you have time for a more leisurely pace later. That's especially true in reading, where a book can look very different at 11 than at 7.

Certainly, get the next level.

Another option if you don't want to buy 2 or more phonics levels in a year is that by the time a child can read at end of first grade level, you could just switch her to library books for reading development and a phonics-based spelling program. My daughter jumped from 1st grade level reading to 3rd in a few months, then up to 5th grade level a few months later - four grade levels in one calendar year. I'm so glad I didn't try to buy curriculum for that!

I have a newbie question here. My first grader is flying through her 1st grade phonics and will actually be done with it in about two more weeks. Do I just buy the next level (2nd grade) and keep going? We are not even done with the 1st quart of the school year! I really did have this planned to take the whole year but she loves it and has decided to do a whole weeks worth of lessons each day so that she can read the fun story at the end of each week's worth of lessons and earn a star each day instead of each week.

She is on target or slightly ahead in every other subject. Having fun and it is not taking all day either. Thanks for your input!

Wow! I have to ask what pbonics book is she liking? I want to see if it'll work for my kids as well. Lol

Thanks for all the great feedback! I really appreciate it. 

JMcElrath, I'm using Hooked on Phonics. She loves it b/c of the DVDs and stickers. If I would let her she would spend the whole day just doing phonics. And she really does get it. I'm blown away with what she can now read without any help. 

I agree with pretty much everyone here--go ahead with the next level, and the next, etc. since it's phonics.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can forsee that might happen is that the successive books might not quite "fit" her as well since they're likely written at a higher interest level, even though they fit her at her academic level. But who knows, this may not be the case. If that situation does pop up, just find another program. It's been good for my girls to sometimes do a subject twice from two different authors/programs, since the content varies a little, and the scope can too, so it's a very enriched way to learn!

Good job! Many would like to be in your shoes :)