Menu

Favorite Public Domain Novels?

Hunter

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this horrible feeling that if I reread Girl of the Limberlost, the magic will be gone.

I'm reading it right now.  I like it, but it has an earnest, and at times, unrealistic optimism that makes me smile and roll my eyes. Pretty typical of the period, actually.  It reminds me of Daddy Long Legs.  If you re-read it as an adult, you'll enjoy it most if you accept for what it is, written when it was.  But, yeah... not the greatest novel ever by a long shot.  I'm still having fun with it, though.

The Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling are beautiful language in the public domain.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/ << possibly useful directory

Just want to mention that the original "How the Leopard Got Its Spots" contains the n-word.

http://www.kellscraft.com/justso/justsostories04.html

‘But if I’m all this,’ said the Leopard, ‘why didn’t you go spotty too?’

‘Oh, plain black’s best for a nigger,’ said the Ethiopian. ‘Now come along and we’ll see if we can’t get even with Mr. One-Two-Three-Where’s-your-Breakfast!’

I was not delighted by that.

I bought one from Chrysalis Classics that reads, "Oh, plain black's best for me."

Just want to mention that the original "How the Leopard Got Its Spots" contains the n-word.

‘Oh, plain black’s best for a nigger,’ said the Ethiopian. ‘Now come along and we’ll see if we can’t get even with Mr. One-Two-Three-Where’s-your-Breakfast!’

I bought one from Chrysalis Classics that reads, "Oh, plain black's best for me."

Thanks so much for the warning!

Our edition footnotes this and says that it wasn't in the original version that was published in the Ladies Home Journal but, weirdly, was added when the stories were all published together as one volume (or maybe Kipling had written it that way and LHJ edited it out? the notes also say the LHJ version had a few Americanized phrases). In any case, your Chrysalis Classics version is accurate to the actual first published version.  :001_smile:

As far as Kipling goes, though, my favorite is Kim. LOVED that book when I read it the summer before 9th grade. Kind of afraid to go back and reread it.

Someone probably mentioned it and I missed it, but my husband really enjoyed The Last of the Mohicans when he was younger. And I quite liked Ivanhoe.

I'm enjoying following along with your project, Hunter! Thank you!

Our edition footnotes this and says that it wasn't in the original version that was published in the Ladies Home Journal but, weirdly, was added when the stories were all published together as one volume (or maybe Kipling had written it that way and LHJ edited it out? the notes also say the LHJ version had a few Americanized phrases). In any case, your Chrysalis Classics version is accurate to the actual first published version.  :001_smile:

As far as Kipling goes, though, my favorite is Kim. LOVED that book when I read it the summer before 9th grade. Kind of afraid to go back and reread it.

Someone probably mentioned it and I missed it, but my husband really enjoyed The Last of the Mohicans when he was younger. And I quite liked Ivanhoe.

I'm enjoying following along with your project, Hunter! Thank you!

The background information that some of you are sharing is immensely helpful. Thanks LostCove and Stripe for this!

Our edition footnotes this and says that it wasn't in the original version that was published in the Ladies Home Journal but, weirdly, was added when the stories were all published together as one volume (or maybe Kipling had written it that way and LHJ edited it out? the notes also say the LHJ version had a few Americanized phrases). In any case, your Chrysalis Classics version is accurate to the actual first published version. :001_smile:

That's really interesting and weird......I couldn't actually find my copy, but when I do, I'll see what, if anything, it says. I don't remember it saying anything! But all the online editions/ downloads I looked at, had it.

I bought a hard copy of this for $4 with shipping. Well worth it, if just for the nursery rhyme and poetry sections. Paper is nicer than most anthologies. All of the chapter books are excerpts.

What are the chances this anthology will get pulled, because it contains copyrighted excerpts?

I have 2 hardcopies of this anthology and the ebook. I like it a lot. I'm a bit worried it might get reconsidered at some point. I don't know the copyright issues surrounding anthologies.

What are the chances this anthology will get pulled, because it contains copyrighted excerpts?

I have 2 hardcopies of this anthology and the ebook. I like it a lot. I'm a bit worried it might get reconsidered at some point. I don't know the copyright issues surrounding anthologies.

That is a good question. I do not know the answer.

For $4 shipped, it's hard to justify the need for a digital copy, though. I don't know how much buying power a forum like this might produce. For now, the used copies seem very plentiful.

Hunter,

I only have a sec and don't know if anyone has already mentioned it or not, but Lit2go has both audio and PDFs of a long list of books. http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/books/

You can sort by genre and grade levels, so you might find that aspect helpful.

Thanks for reminding me!

I learned about How Sammy Went to Coral Land from that site.

http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/106/how-sammy-went-to-coral-land/

I really need to finish this book. So far I have only skimmed it, but like what I read.

That is a good question. I do not know the answer.

For $4 shipped, it's hard to justify the need for a digital copy, though. I don't know how much buying power a forum like this might produce. For now, the used copies seem very plentiful.

These cheap copies will be gone soon, if we keep talking about it. And some families overseas have HUGE shipping costs. Also, some women don't have any way to make online purchases, because they don't have a charge or debit card. Some women don't have a place to receive packages. Some women are living on boats and in RVs or just a bedroom and need to teach from a tablet as much as possible.

My primary goal is to make the core schedule all free downloads. There are other goals I would like to accomplish, too, but I will be more flexible with those.

I'm becoming more and more confident I can even do a decent job of year 4 with all free downloads.

I'm getting nervous about this anthology getting pulled. I'm only going to use it for the post 1923 excerpts, so if it get's pulled, I will have less to rewrite. I am going to use it, but for less than I was originally planning.

I think it goes both ways. Some people don't have a reliable internet connections or computer/phone/ereader, and some people don't have a way to deal with physical books or the physical copies of older books are no longer around / affordable. It's good to have both options.

There are bookstores that send books overseas quite affordably. I have sent boxes overseas via Better World Books and they have been reliable; one box apparently arrived looking like it had taken a world tour and was quite beat up, with a book or two missing. Better World was good about refunding for that without incident. Lots of textbooks for a few dollars were well appreciated.

Stripe is right. I've tutored kids who do not have internet access. It's a real issue among the rural poor, where the only internet they an get is slow dish or antenna internet that starts around $75 a month. We actually sold a house and moved, in part, because we were tired of having no internet. I was telecommuting for work, and we wanted access for homeschool.

Stripe is right. I've tutored kids who do not have internet access. It's a real issue among the rural poor, where the only internet they an get is slow dish or antenna internet that starts around $75 a month. We actually sold a house and moved, in part, because we were tired of having no internet. I was telecommuting for work, and we wanted access for homeschool.

We didn't sell a house. But chose not to rent for more than our year contract because of the state of Internet. It really wasn't usable and, if we'd known that, we wouldn't have signed a year contract for it! We ended up going to mcDonald's, etc to download the stuff we really needed. This was in the rural emptiness between Austin and Bastrop, TX (ie not really that rural at all. Just was out of the metro area)

Other than Daily Grammar for years 9 and 10, I don't have anything scheduled that cannot be downloaded for free at a hotspot and then used offline. Online access is a problem I agree, but when I cannot use a free download, I will choose something that can be used BOTH online AND as a cheap ebook, so people have at least 2 options. The Daily Grammar eBook is $6.95 and the website is cell phone friendly. I'm going with that for now, but will keep looking for a quality public domain download that will act as the capstone to prepare a student for non-remedial C.C. comp and grammar, and has an answer key.

I really tried to schedule everything as both hardcopies that are currently in print AND also available as free downloads. I don't think it's possible to put together something of quality, with that tight of restriction.

I think I have the language arts scope and sequence and curriculum almost finished. I'm hoping I can post the alpha edition in the next couple days. Many of my choices of texts are going to be new for most people, but there are also some traditional favorites. I'm really pleased with the English plan as a whole. I think there is great flow from year to year, and that the books play nicely with each other. With one small change, the English curriculum can be used with AO, and the small change needed is explained.

For those that want hardcopy books, I am truly sorry, that I cannot accommodate that. Maybe I can write another curriculum after I finish this one. Right now, I need to get the all free eBook one done first.

For those that want hardcopy books, I am truly sorry, that I cannot accommodate that. 

You don't need to! I've seen books discussed as free downloads in various places and then hunted up a hardcopy. People don't have to follow things exactly as written.

I think I'm going to use Greenleaf for the core math. It's going to be a very language arts based curriculum that uses a lot of recitation and copywork and story problem writing.

The curriculum will be trivium based, expecting students to memorize and parrot what they may not yet be able to fully understand. It's going to be very controversial :)

Greenleaf Books at Google

inauthor:"Benjamin Greenleaf"

Notice the comprehension questions in New Elementary Arithmetic

http://books.google.com/books?id=S5CT4cYoAFcC&dq=inauthor:%22Benjamin+Greenleaf%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Notice the early teaching of advanced vocabulary and the recitation exercises in New Primary

http://books.google.com/books?id=S78yL5CtGgQC&dq=inauthor:%22Benjamin+Greenleaf%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s