Menu

Help, curriculum for reluctant writers?

ErinC2100

Hello,

My son is in 5th and my daughter in 3rd grade.  I had them using Wordsmith Apprentice but they both hate it.  They are both reluctant writers but they do have a sound understanding of grammar, parts of speech, etc.  my 3rd grader did well with PLL last year, but I felt some of it was very dated.  Any suggestions?  Writing prompts are met with horror, LOL.  This is new to me as my 7th grader would be happy to write all day.

E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 5th grader hated Wordsmith Apprentice too.  I hate saying that because I don't want to discourage anyone from buying it.  It looks to be a really fun program, and I think I would have loved it at that age.  For some reason, my son would fall apart during writing time.  After talking about it with him, he likes to come up with his own ideas and write his own stories.  Today we did use a writing prompt book because he was looking for suggestions, but I let him choose and it went well.  I'm hoping that this is just an age thing, and he will mature into being able to do WWS in middle school.   

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend the Institute for Excellence in Writing stuff.  My oldest began as a total pencil-aphoblic at grade 4 and 5 (the kind that cried every time I asked him to write a complete sentence of his own)  and now is getting an A in a local private high school sophomore English class and has mentioned that he would possibly like to pursue a career involving writing.  

IEW's philosophy worked really well for my non-creative ds1, but also gave room to be creative for ds2, and even has been effective for #3 who is a little slower academically.

Good luck,

K