Menu

First math club today!

Dmmetler

We'll see how it goes-I have 15 kids coming-four fairly strong middle school level (Pre-Algebra/Algebra 1) who will be working on competition math and problem solving, a group of middle elementary kids, who will be working at a lower level of competition math (both these two older groups are doing the CML at whatever level they're at), and a pretty large group of little ones (Pre-k to 1st grade) who will be doing Marilyn Burns and Family Math type activities.

We'll see how it goes. I'd hoped to have more of the older kids who were actually at DD's level (especially since one of the middle schoolers lives a pretty long drive away and may not always be here), but I'm excited at the enthusiasm.

What I noticed is that the older kids mostly are those who enjoy math and have parents looking for an outlet for them to do it with other people.  The younger kids have parents who want to enrich what they're doing at home, or are nervous about teaching math and want to get ideas from other people, but the kids are less enthusiastic about math specifically.

Today, the plan is math games and puzzles, plus some lego hands-on activities (because, darn it, my house has more legos than the local Bricks and Minifigs store, so we might as well use them-and they're a great way to model to parents things they can do at home. I expect the middle schoolers will break off by themselves-DD has some problems that she's DYING to see if she can stump the other kids with, and I suspect at least one of the other kids is thinking in the same direction (he and DD are the reason I started it-they'd be the two kids in the back of a co-op history class talking math).