Menu

a several month post-VT report

Tiramisu

I walked into my dd14's room yesterday and her bulletin board caught my eye. It is covered drawings. Her drawings. And they are all incredibly well done. I couldn't believe it. I don't remember her drawing before. This is the girl who once tested at the second percentile in visual-motor integration.

Thank you, everyone who posted here who helped me take the VT plunge last winter, especially my dearest OhE.  :001_wub:

Dd is in brick-and-mortar high school now. Her favorite class? Geometry. Who would have known?

This goes to show that VT for moderate convergence insufficiency and tracking problems can have a major impact, and not only with academics. It warms my heart to think she'd developing a hobby that could bring her joy and satisfaction for years, no matter where she ends up academically or professionally.

Very wonderful to read! 

DD12 just finished VT and one of the most amazing differences I noticed was that her drawing skills went from looking like her 6 year old sister's to looking like a 12 year old's.  Her VMI scores before VT were 7%.  We are doing the Writing 8's now in the hopes that writing will become automatic/ easier as well.

I know that people here have had various success with this - but I figure it's worth a try since it's free, LOL.

I'm glad to hear that your DD has retained the skills several months AFTER VT....I'm pretty sure it has been worth the cost for us, but it's still reassuring to hear about others' long-term success! :hurray:

Edited to reflect elder DD's true age - I keep putting her down as DD11, but she's been 12 since July!

It's been rewarding to watch over the years as the WTM boards have logged more and more experiences with vision therapy. When I started advocating VT, over a decade ago now, very few people were familiar with it and skepticism was the order of the day. But many were open-minded about it and over time tried it even though it's usually quite expensive.

Congratulations to those of you who've spent the time and money to get your kids the help they needed. I only wish it were more generally available in our schools, as speech therapy and occupational therapy usually are.

And for those of you who have kids whose art skills have blossomed following VT, there's a page on my website that you might find interesting. Before VT became reasonably well known, it was realized that a lot of people with untreated vision issues would migrate toward the fields of architecture and engineering. In Growing an Architect, I speculate as to why that might happen. Perhaps spending a few years with a vision problem imparts some advantages to go along with all the obvious disadvantages?