Menu

Foreign-language school + English homeschool?

(Disclaimer: this is a modified double post from the bilingual board.)

I would love to know -- Has anyone enrolled their children in a foreign-language/immersion school and homeschooled in English, simultaneously? How did it go? How old were your children? How did it affect them emotionally and academically? Would you recommend it, and if so, with what caveats?

I ask because are planning a move to Poland in spring 2015, when our oldest will be five and a half. I think he'll be reading English at a decent beginner's level by then (we're working through Ordinary Parents' Guide now with fast progress). My husband is Polish but we speak English at home, since I can only hobble along in Polish.

My instincts are competing! Here's what my rational instincts say: our goal is for the whole family to become bilingual after a few years in Poland. The best way to accomplish this seems to be enrolling our oldest in a Polish private kindergarten (or the equivalent of one grade behind his US grade) with the expectation that he will undergo Polish standardized testing each year. Homeschooling is legal in Poland and I certainly could homeschool full time in English, but we don't want to create a Little America in our home and rob our kids of the immersion process that would make them bilingual for life. The school day in Poland only goes until about lunchtime anyway, so we'll still have long afternoons together and can study English reading/lit, writing, and American history/geography at home. He's extremely happy in classroom settings with "real" teachers (homeschool co-op, Sunday school, choir), academically gifted, and socially mature. He'll be fine.

....Aaaand, here's what my emotional instincts say: I love having my child at home. Love, love, love it. I want to teach him every subject until my own expertise runs dry, and I want control over his environment. I'll miss him when he leaves even though his 3-year-old sister will be at home. What if he gets too overwhelmed or embarassed to function well, or we're expecting so much of him that we'll defeat our goals and wish we'd just homeschooled in English? How will I know if he's flourishing?

If you've been there and can offer any comments, I'd be interested to hear them! Thanks!

No personal experience but I would ABSOLUTELY enroll in the Polish school no question.  I speak Romanian decently and it is so difficult to keep up speaking to them on a regular basis.  I have always thought it would be great to be able to do something like that for them.  As for having them at home, I completely understand but with the reasonable school hours you have noted the benefits would outweigh that desire for me.

Add to that the fact that Poland has been rocketing forward in the international education world (according to the PISA) and I would be very comfortable with the whole situation.

What an amazing opportunity.  I truly feel that foreign languages are such a gift to our children.  One of my top reasons for homeschooling is to give them language at a younger age.  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

We send both our kids (6 and 7) to a French language immersion school. We highly recommend language immersion! Our 7 year old is nearly fluent and both are reading grade level or above in both French and English.

School provides no English instruction, so that falls on us at home. So far it hasn't been a problem. Lot's of library trips, and every evening the girls spend at least 30 minutes reading. I just picked up a thick phonics book to use with our 6 year old (she's reading well but is having a hard time sounding out some words). 

We're having other issues with the school (not related to immersion) and are unsure if we'll be returning next year. If we do decide to keep the girls home or send them to another school we will definitely hire a tutor so they can keep up with their French. I do think the kids who receive extra learning at home are the most successful, but it doesn't sound like that will be a problem at your home :)

I'd enroll at least for one year at least. I sent my children to school in Europe for a year, then bilingual school and supplemented with English at home and it's been totally worth it. It's an unbelievable opportunity to be overseas. Best of luck to your family. International moves are so challenging!