Menu

Breaking up lessons in Recipe for Reading?

Hi,

For those using Recipe for Reading, do you think there is anything wrong with breaking up the lessons? DS7 seems to melt after a bit so the lessons are getting done over 3 days: drills and a few words one day, rest of the words and some phrases and most of the workbook the next, finish workbook and reading the story the last day. I'd love for him to build up endurance, but as he seems to wear out, it all seems to get jumbled in his mind, what letter is making what sound.

Another question: for phrases he repeats the phrase back to me and wants to say, spell and write it one word at a time instead of holding the whole thing in his mind while he writes each word. I guess this is a working memory issue?

He does have vision issues, so he has been in VT for several months, but I'm leaning towards getting him a neurophysch evaluation too. He gets things he learns orally and visually, but reading and writing is a different story. Do you think I should give VT and this reading program more time?

TIA

Do what he can do, not how long the lesson is!

If you can do several short lessons in big print on a whiteboard interspersed with other work, that might be even better than over 3 different days. However, it is pointless to keep working when their brain is done.

You might also want to try doing even more orally until vision therapy starts helping.

I would also try different color markers and all uppercase and all lowercase to see if any combination is easier for him. Most of my students respond best to large green uppercase letters on the whiteboard.

Good tips, I 'll try these out next week and compare. Thanks, Elizabeth

Do what he can do, not how long the lesson is!

If you can do several short lessons in big print on a whiteboard interspersed with other work, that might be even better than over 3 different days. However, it is pointless to keep working when their brain is done.

You might also want to try doing even more orally until vision therapy starts helping.

I would also try different color markers and all uppercase and all lowercase to see if any combination is easier for him. Most of my students respond best to large green uppercase letters on the whiteboard.