Menu

Would you accept this?

I know there is a fine line between what work is acceptable and what work is not when you have a kid with a LD. My son has dyslexia and dysgraphia. He is 16 and in 10th grade. He is on a vocational track. My question is this: He emails me his assignments off his I pad (love this), however he does not have a key board for it (we are going to get him one). He uses an app that allows him to type on it but he does not capitalize or use punctuation on his sentences. We spent 4 years working on this. He said it is more difficult for him to do on the ipad. It is driving me bonkers. The answers are usually right but the lack of sentence structure is about to send me over the edge. What do you think. Should I make him use a computer until his keyboard comes in? Should I just look the other way until his keyboard is here? Please chime in!

Well I HATE typing on the iPad keyboard, so I'm kind of astonished you're having him do that for assignments.  You can order a Fintie case with keyboard from ebay for $20 and receive it in a matter of days.  I'd get that moving and require no typing at all till then, mercy.  

Of course caps are required.  Even a dictation program uses caps.  Sounds very impulsive to me.  Is the coordination too hard?  What is his typing speed?  Maybe he needs some time back on Mavis Beacon or whatever?

I would go out today and buy him a keyboard for the iPad, or have him switch to the computer until you can get one. I wouldn't accept work without proper capitalization/punctuation from any of my kids, especially not Ds17, who is dyslexic/dysgraphic. 

As the wife of a husband who types everything, everywhere without capitalization or punctuation I beg of you to please make your DS write proper sentences!  I refuse to allow DS to get away with this in any forum because I don't want him to fall into the habit and spend the rest of his life typing like his dad.  It drives me absolutely bonkers when DH wants me to read an email or message to someone.