Menu

Show New Content feature is not working

pdalley

You need to change your settings.  Click on "View New Content" in the upper right corner.  When you get to that page, look at the left hand column for "By Time Period."  Mine is for "past two weeks" and I never get to the end of that :p

ETA I just reread your post and I guess you've tried that.  I would either reboot or clear out your cookies.  It sounds like something with your device, because it's working fine for me.

You need to change your settings.  Click on "View New Content" in the upper right corner.  When you get to that page, look at the left hand column for "By Time Period."  Mine is for "past two weeks" and I never get to the end of that :p

ETA I just reread your post and I guess you've tried that.  I would either reboot or clear out your cookies.  It sounds like something with your device, because it's working fine for me.

It was probably a middle of the night glitch because it's fine now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My "New Content" seems to reset every night shortly after midnight.  Tonight, when I logged on shortly before midnight, I had 7 pages of "New Content."  Around 12:15, I was moving from page 6 to page 7, but instead of getting page 7, I ended up with less than a page of "New Content."  My other six pages of "New Content" simply disappeared.  This has started happening recently, within the past week or so.  It seems like it happens every night around the same time, and then I end up missing out on a lot of New Content because I generally read between midnight and 1 am.  

I hope this can be fixed.  Maybe there is some sort of setting that readjusts every night around midnight?  

ETA:  Adding to this, that even when I check "Past 24 hours" in "By Time Period," I only get 2 pages of posts.  I have to hit "Past Week," to get a decent number of pages of posts.  Something is definitely still amiss.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking

Thank you for updating.

Ugh.  It just happened to me again.  I had just finished reading a thread on the very first page of 7 pages of "new content,"  went back to New Content to read another thread, and everything disappeared.  All of a sudden, I had no "new content" at all.

I thought for a while this was happening every night at 12:15, but tonight it was 12:07 so I guess it varies.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is on server time. Server might be resetting then also.

So does this mean I pretty much have to learn to live with it?  :001_smile:

I think it used to reset somewhere closer to morning, because I never had it happen at night, but I always noticed in the morning there would be fewer posts than would be expected for that time period.  

What is still confusing is that if I hit the button for posts in the last 24 hours, that still leaves gaps in the posts -- in other words, it doesn't show all of the posts in the past 24 hours.

Can you try at a different time, maybe about an hour or two off?

Even when I log on in the morning, and there are abt three pages of New Content, there seem to be significant time gaps, as if things reset again.

I'm out of town right now and stuck on my iPad, but I have some ideas I'll try out when I get back home.

I think what's most puzzling is that the New Content drops off suddenly around 12:15 AM, but if I hit "last 24 hours" I don't get any more content than with the New Content.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the filter settings on the side that you all are using.

By Content Type?

By Time Period?

Other?

Tell me which ones are checked so I can further track this down. I am not able to replicate it yet.

For "By Content Type" I have "Forums" checked.

For " By Time Period" I have "New since my last visit" checked.

I tried changing the time zone settings to Pacific Time rather than Eastern Time to see if that would somehow delay the reset, but no luck there.

I still lose all New Content around 12:15 every night. It is not always exactly 12:15 -- last night it reset at 12:11, but it is always approximately at that time.

I use a Mac, if that might make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what is puzzling to me, OtherJohn.  I don't see anyone else complaining about this.  Yet it happens to me every night around 12:15, give or take a few minutes.    This has only happened in the past couple of months.  Prior to that, I had no such problems, and I've been reading these forums for 3 or 4 years, at least.

I also use the Sonlight Forums, which seem to use the same forum software as The Well Trained Mind, and I never have this problem over there, so I have a hard time believing it's my computer.  But I wonder if there is something I have wrong in my settings.  That's why I tried to set my time to another time zone to see if that would help, but it didn't.   

It's just like everything resets around the same time each night.  I have 7 or 8 pages of posts, and then, bam, nothing.  It's frustrating to me because nights are my best chance to read.   At any rate, thanks for trying to figure it out.  It does seem like this is some problem unique to me.  :-( 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I will keep trying to track it down. we will figure it out... eventually.

I think you fixed it!  For three nights in a row now, I have not lost New Content at around 12:15.  Maybe whatever changed a few days ago fixed this problem in the process?  Anyhow, I'm super happy not to lose all my Well Trained Mind content at 12:15.  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...