Menu

How much independent work for 2nd grader?

We are about 12 weeks into our school year (going more or less year-round this year), and I am already finding it very hard to get everything done!  My kids are in 2nd and K, plus I have a 3-year-old and 1-year-old who need constant attention.  I have already scaled way back on the amount of work I'm expecting to get done with my 2nd grader, just because my time one-on-one is so limited.  Ugh.  Between math, reading,  light handwriting and FLL, my kindergartener takes up roughy an hour (not all at once).  For the 2nd grader I'm having to do math, grammar, writing, and history with her - and for her other subjects I'm largely turning her loose to do them herself.  Which means I'm not correcting her on the spot, having to look over her stuff later and go back over it with corrections.

I'm just kind of bummed, since of course this is one of the things we liked most about the chance to homeschool - the amount of one-on-one time the child would get with their teacher!  I do realize my littles are, well, little, right now - but as they get bigger they will also have schoolwork, which means more mom time too!  I want to be an active part of the learning process.  My oldest DD works well on her own - she does the work quickly and mostly gets everything done correctly - but I anticipate as her studies get more rigorous it would benefit her to be working with me as she goes.

Do most of you experienced folks try to have your older students do as much as possible independently, even at a younger age?  Or do you fight that urge and scale back the workload as much as possible so that you're working more closely with the student?

Could you do a "math time" where you are all at the table together and you could be there for each of them. If one needs you, you talk with them, if the other needs you, you are there to? Would it be possible for 2nd grade Dd to help younger Dd by "teaching" the math lesson with you? Handwriting could be done together also. That might allow a more integrated math almost like a circle time with you three.

Would it be possible to have some educational programming like Salsa! or PBS morning line up "Word a World, Sesame Street, SuperWise," for the littles happening so that you could work with your second grader one on one, but it also directly gives your youngers some fun phonics or language instruction?

The families that I personally know with lots, set things up as either one big schoolroom where each kid is working in their little spot of the circle and mommy is floating around to whomever needs her, or they establish groups that work together with mom while another group is doing their own relatively independent thing. Either students move and mom stays put or mom moves and students stay put.

It is hard with lots who all seem to need you. I was an independent study teacher in PS and taught math groups at the same time. Made my brain melt some days feeling like I never served anyone well, just treaded water all day with everybody. Good Luck!

Do most of you experienced folks try to have your older students do as much as possible independently, even at a younger age?  Or do you fight that urge and scale back the workload as much as possible so that you're working more closely with the student?

I vote "other." I didn't push a younger student to overly ramp up the independence—just as much as was natural, for example, working through the math lesson and then turning them loose on the worksheet while I was still available at the table, but maybe doing something else with a younger. I also didn't scale back the workload just to deal with the one-on-one issue. It was more of a timing situation. If the one-year-old is taking a nap and the three-year-old is willing to sit in my lap or do something nearby while I do a one-on-one with someone, I'd shoot for that. If I could adjust a subject so I could do it with the younger ones around—like listening to history on CD while the second grader colors a related sheet so I can keep an eye on the younger ones while we all listen, I'd shoot for that. If I could get something done one-on-one before the one-year-old is up or after they go to bed or while DH is home to help, I'd shoot for that.

Sure, things will get more rigorous as your students get older, but your young ones will be getting older, too, changing their needs. 

Erica in OR

My kids don't work independently until 3rd or 4th grade and then it is only limited......reading mostly.

If you are stressed, I would suggest re-evaluating your list of necessary topics for 2nd grade. We love language here, but ther is absolutely zero reason for Latin in 2nd grade. I am unfamiliar with what you have listed for history and no idea what TGSor HFA are, but 2nd grade can be as simple as the basics of the 3Rs and read alouds and still be very successful. (Btdt 7 times now. ;) )

The year that I added my 2nd child as a kindergartener with a toddler underfoot was the most difficult of all my 14+ years of homeschooling. The transition from educating one child to educating two was more difficult for me than adding subsequent kids.

My oldest did a lot independently, because she wanted to and it fit her personality. She was always asking what book came next, or what she could do once she finished. I spent most of that year throwing materials at her while trying to teach my younger daughter. I felt like a ping-pong ball most of the day. It all worked out just fine in the end though!

My suggestion is to do whatever you need to for where your family is at right now. That might mean letting your oldest be independent, or scaling back to just focusing on math and language arts.

Mostly I try to do math first thing - which is for both girls.  I do them one at a time only because my older DD is VERY distractible and I have to banish everyone else from the school room or else she'll never get anything done.  I also try to do 2nd-grade DD's language arts because GENERALLY my 1YO will take a morning nap, although he is sadly fighting that more and more now...

That leaves after-lunch nap time, where she (DD7) reads independently, followed by Latin, light history, light science, and either art or Bible, or on Fridays we quit early.

What I meant to say in OP is that we are managing ok right now, but I always feel like I'm right on the brink.  I actually am not looking to add any new subjects for older DD for next year, but as my second child gets bigger I will of course want her to join in a little more, which means more hand-holding, etc.

I appreciate the differing viewpoints on here.  After asking a few HSing friends, their general consensus was that they send the kids off to their own space to do their own thing, as early as possible.

My kids who are that close in age do almost all their work together.  I just split them out for math this year because they have distinctly different learning styles.  In your situation wouldn't do much at all with my K kid that wasn't also a class for my 2nd grader other than phonics.  K can listen to grammar lessons, math lessons, etc. and will pick up the information.  I really only got to teach my firstborn K materials, after that it trickled down. 

Our day with 4 kids in the room is:

Bible verse- big 3 write the verse in their journal then we discuss. I read verse to little.

Handwriting- oldest 2 do cursive from a workbook or other source, middle son does print.  I demonstrate proper form as needed on a white board.  Little demands dry erase markers and makes "letters" on my white board.

Math- Each child has a different math program and split to different rooms/computers to work on them.  I went all computer based math this year.  I had tried teaching via text/workbook in the past but it just isn't a good fit for my learners.  I check the work and follow up one on one later.  Sometimes we all watch the lesson video for oldest son's math together just to introduce the topics to the youngers. 

Grammar- Oldest gets more intensive grammar through online programs or assigned reading, all work together on parts of speech and diagramming.  (I just started diagramming with them this year.)  In the past we did worksheets together.

Latin- when we do the lessons (which has been seldom), we do them together.  I expect oldest to get more out of it and youngers will get a repeat when the littlest is ready.

History- we did VP self-paced last year and this year are using various resources.  We watch together and the two oldest have supplemental readings.

Science- same as history, watch together and supplement with age appropriate readings. 

Other classes are pretty much the same.  Reading lessons will take one on one time, more or less depending on the child. But at some point either the kids are on the same level or the older is able to help the younger. 

ETA: My 4 year old usually takes over the computer when we start the school day and does "his school" consisting of MoreStarfall, SplashMath and other programs.  Then he listens in to our other lessons, interrupts or plays depending on his mood. 

Family dynamics change and you adapt accordingly. I wouldn't worry about how things will work in another yr. You'll have grown as both a mom and a teacher. Your kids will all be a yr older. You face those decisions with the situation you have at that time.

Fwiw, i spen more time with my kids when they are older, not less. It is not an equal translation, though. It is different. Our discussions can take on a life of their own, and we just really enjoy what we are doing. They spend a lot of time doing independent work and proportionally they work far more independently than with me. But, we still spend more time than say when they were in K simply bc K took an hour total. We can spend that much time just discussing a short story!

My second grader doesn't really do anything independent, she does the 3Rs and read-alouds, tagging along with science and history here and there. I think with those ages I'd just do the skill work one-on-one and then hit the fun stuff together with lots of books and activities as you're inclined and they want. 

Do either of your kids get up early? Often I do Math with dd1 early before anyone else wakes up. This gets us some nice quiet time, which she needs and then she is just left with reading/writing for her skill work. At my house right now the youngest only takes one nap a day and that isn't usually until 2, so quiet time is in short supply.

I have 4 dc spaced exactly like your 4. I grouped the two oldest together, with the 3rd sitting in, and eventually the 4th sitting in. I targeted history, read-alouds and science for a level that both the older two could do, with math and LA their individual levels. It made things doable. I did not do Latin, but chose a modern language program geared for young learners and was conversational-based.

It looks like you've gone very academically heavy for your oldest, leaving you little time for any of the other children, and also less opportunity for the youngers to join the oldest. This may not be an efficient use of your time. Grouping possible children together has been a really successful route for me. 

My 2nd grader does mostly everything independently. He hates to wait for me to explain things so he just reads everything and does it himself. I give him a list and he marks the assignment off the list once he completes it.

Math: lifepac math-I write down what pages I want him to do and he comes to me when he is having trouble.

Science:using old public school book- He reads a section and we answer the review questions together. We do science experiments together.

History/geo: Lifepac history/geo- I write down what pages I want him to complete. I check it over before we go on to next subject. If there is a project I want him to do we do it together.

Cursive: does it completely independently. I just look over it when he's done

Keyboarding without tears: completely independent

LA: Switched on schoolhouse - completely independent.

My 2nd grader does some independent work but it's a little at a time.  I may do a math lesson with her but then she does the worksheet (or as much as she can) independently.  I do the same thing for most lessons.  She can read very well which helps a lot with independent work.  Also, I have some fun worksheets/logic puzzles she can do completely independently when the 5yo and 2yo  need my attention.

My 5yo is my earliest riser.  I do math and reading with her one-on-one usually without interruption.  While I do math, spelling, and writing with the 7yo, the 4yo works on handwriting, coloring pages, and letter sounds.  Together I do Five In a Row (which I cover Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and Art.), and the 2yo willingly sits in on this too.  

Usually I like to do school first thing, but for a time period I had to move the majority of the 7yo's one-on-one time to the youngest's nap time.  He was just to disruptive.  I have to remain flexible.  Add things in when all the stars align and scale things back when necessary. Or break the day up.  Do one hour of school, half an hour of playtime, one hour of school, lunch, play, and then another hour of school.

My priorities are Math, Language Arts (Reading/Writing, Handwriting, and Spelling) and Five In a Row (which all the kids can do together).  Everything else is extra and is usually done in blocks.  We may do a few weeks of science experiments or explore outside, then spend a few weeks doing arts and crafts, followed by a learning some words in another language.

I handle it a lot like Arctic Mama. My 2nd grader is flying through learning multiplication right now, whereas my K-er is struggling with basic addition facts. I definitely wouldn't try a trickle-down math approach or try to do a math time at the same time. Too stressful. Right now, my 2nd grader practices the piano for 15 min, then does xtra math on the computer for 5-10 minutes. Then at the table with us, he does some independent seat work: a handwriting page, phonics page, 1-2 math pages, writes a times table or two, and on occasion practices his AAS app or subtraction facts on an app. He starts all of this around 8:30 or 8:45 and is usually done by or before 10 am. That gives me enough time to teach my lessons to my Ker. Sometimes the Ker has to finish some seat work like handwriting or a phonics page while I begin teaching my 2nd grader. Everything besides what I mentioned, including reading, is done with me.

I would really work on getting your 2nd grader to focus when doing whatever independent work you have assigned. I'd see that as necessary for both you and her. And for the toddlers...I'd try to survive the 1yo, lol!, but the 3yo can be sent off to play sometimes without needing to interrupt so much. I'm trying to work on my littles with that right now. It is hard!