Menu

New here! Please evaluate our 7th grade plans

I am pulling my DD from public school, this is what I have semi planned. I would love feedback...am I missing anything? Any suggestions for a comprehensive English Lit program other than MCT (looks dry)??

Algebra 1-TT and Life of Fred (maybe)

English Lit- Movies through Literature and  MCT (maybe)

Learning Language Arts Through Literature 

Grammar/ Writing-  Hake Grammar 

Writing for 100 days

Vocab - English from the roots up 

History - Human Odyssey Pre History through Middle Ages $75

Science - Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy w/ experiment kit-

Cosmos Series

Critical Thinking- Art of the Argument 

Bluedorn's Fallacy Detective

Your English subjects look to be pretty heavy; you've duplicated virtually everything, and more than once if you're using the whole MCT program. Are you planning on doing Movies Through Literature and MCT AND LLATL? If so, that's way too much. Maybe look at Lightning Literature for lit, then do Hake and Writing for 100 Days with EFRTU and leave it at that. I might even leave off the separate vocabulary program. You could also check out a couple of levels of Moving Beyond the Page and see if that's something that would fit. 

Welcome!

I agree with Aurelia to slim down the curricula within each subject. Have you homeschooled her before? If this is the first time homeschooling, there will be some transition from school to home. I would go with one math. If it's going along splendidly but you feel it's lacking, then choose a supplement. I wouldn't do two maths at the same time. 

For literature, I would choose a program with whole books rather than Movies with Lit. The beauty of homeschooling is that your dd will have time to read the books and time to discuss it with you.  

Also, Art of Argument and the Fallacy Detective are redundant, you won't want to do both. 

Were you listing alternate curricula choices?

Lisa

OK, I am glad that there is a reason that I already feel overwhelmed! Yes this is our first time homeschooling and all of the options are overwhelming!

I will highlight what I really like and then maybe you can help me whittle it down. For what it is worth I am trying to launch her into as much independent work as possible.

Algebra 1-TT  ( I thought Life of Fred was supplemental...but it is pricey so I would be happy to find something else as we go)

English Lit- Movies through Literature and  MCT (maybe)

Learning Language Arts Through Literature I am unsure here...movies seemed fun and MCT seems very thorough but dry, not sure if DD can slog thru it on her own. LLATL looks pretty great.

Writing for 100 days I will look at lightning lit, would that replace LLATL? What is EFRTU

Vocab - English from the roots up 

History - Human Odyssey Pre History through Middle Ages 

Science - Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy w/ experiment kit-

Cosmos Series

Bluedorn's Fallacy Detective I guess we will have to cut one!

•  
  •  

My iPad shut down and I lost my post, here is the condensed version...

For a 7th grader at the alg level, I would not use TT. It is a weak prorgram and she is obviously advanced. Foerster, Dolciani, or Jacobs would be a better match.

Agreein that you have too much. I would not add critical thinking bc you need to adjust to homeschooling.

I would go with a program more similar to ps until you find your feet and have a grasp for what you are looking for. Sadlier Oxford's Grammar for Writing and their Vocabulary Workshop are decent textbook options.

http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/grammar/

http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/vocabulary/

For literature, you could just have her reading great lit to start off with and once you find your feet, add in lit guides as desired.

OK, I am glad that there is a reason that I already feel overwhelmed! Yes this is our first time homeschooling and all of the options are overwhelming!

I will highlight what I really like and then maybe you can help me whittle it down. For what it is worth I am trying to launch her into as much independent work as possible.

Algebra 1-TT  ( I thought Life of Fred was supplemental...but it is pricey so I would be happy to find something else as we go)

English Lit- Movies through Literature and  MCT (maybe)

Learning Language Arts Through Literature I am unsure here...movies seemed fun and MCT seems very thorough but dry, not sure if DD can slog thru it on her own. LLATL looks pretty great.

Writing for 100 days I will look at lightning lit, would that replace LLATL? What is EFRTU

Vocab - English from the roots up 

History - Human Odyssey Pre History through Middle Ages 

Science - Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy w/ experiment kit-

Cosmos Series

Bluedorn's Fallacy Detective I guess we will have to cut one!

•  
  •  

Like PP said, you're doubling up.

For Math Start with TT then if you feel it is lacking you can always ask on the boards what would be a good supplemental.  

I'm not very familiar with the upper level of MCT but I know the first two levels were any thing but dry/boring.  If you get the whole program I don't think you need any thing else... but I could be wrong, like I said only did the first 2 levels (to much $$).  With L.A. I suggest you start out slow or it could take over your whole day.  

For history- what's the plan? You're just getting the K12 HO book?  Or did you mean History Odyssey from Pandia Press?  Either way is good, there are a LOT of threads on the Logic board about both options.

FYI- don't be surprised or discouraged if some of the options don't work (but give them ample time to be sure) it takes some time to learn your teaching style and your daughter's learning style.  I think the best advice I could give is to go slow and take your time, don't try to fill the whole day with work, be prepared to adjust your schedule so that you can fit in fun days, and lazy ones too. 

edited to add- I agree with 8filltheheart, TT is independent but may not be right for your DD.  If you don't feel confident in teaching Algebra then look at some of the online options.  

You could easily save the critical thinking for next semester/year after you have a rhythm down.   

I was going with TT because I am not a math person at all! She needs instruction and I like the fact that she can review and rewind to better grasp concepts. She is good at math, but it is not her favorite.

I have read a lot of folks here who were very happy with MCT for the younger set, but dissatisfied with the higher levels. I am open though, I really want to pick it.  feel that I need the safety net of a structured program/curric....just reading feels a little too loosey goosey to me! I need to get a handle on the whole thing first!

History would be K12 HO.

Hello there! Have you looked at either of these for Math?

Derek Owens/Lucid Education Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1:   http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=Prealgebra.php

Tablet Class Pre-Algebra or Algebra:  www.tabletclass.com

My DD is in 7th and loves Derek Owens. I am not sure if you are needing Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1, but we are doing Pre-Algebra this year and my DD loves it. She does it completely on her own (other than me checking her homework/tests), and can watch the videos as much as needed. Additionally, he teaches how to take notes throughout his courses. The same for his Physical Science course. Hope this helps! :) 

Teaching textbooks is very light. There are lots of math curriculums which are more substantial and just as independent that will provide a strong foundation so she is not lacking later on. Especially if you have a student who is ahead, this might be needed.

MCT is not very independent and there have been several threads about how the later years are not necessarily the best way to go about teaching writing. The early years everyone raves about (other than cost).

LOF is fun, and many libraries have it as just fun math here and there. You might want to check.

Movies through Lit is great if you are deliberately wanting a light year. It is much like Teaching Textbooks in this way. If you are thinking of it that way, great, but it is not a strong foundation. Depends on if you want to start light and ease in or to begin setting the bar and working on finding rhythm.

I would caution you from jumping directly into independent work without oversight. Homeschooling often requires adjustment for the entire family. It can be really easy to overlook glitches, problems, and emotional hang ups if the student is left to their own devices too much. Here is a good example using a Teaching Textbooks.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2013/03/beware-of-turning-educational-tools-into-crutches/6.

Well, TT alg would not be a good fit for an advanced student here. I would look at Thinkwell's alg or Derek Owens classes. TT is weak compared to other alg courses. (others will disagree. It is simply my POV, but I have advanced kids that don't like math and I wouldn't use TT.)

Which MCT components are you considering? If you are thinking in terms of the writing, grammar, vocab programs, do not expect anything to be laid out or clear. I can't think of a less teacher friendly program out there if you are looking for structure. It is definitely not laid out clearly defined and if you aren't confident in opening and teaching without guidelines, you will be disappointed. (Fwiw, I am one of those who doesn't connect with MCTs upper levels. ;). But I do love CE 2 and am using it with my 7th grader this yr.)

If you want something more laid out to guide you, you might want to look at Oak Meadow. I think it would fit what you are describing in terms of support.

http://oakmeadow.com/what-we-do/grades-k8/seventh-grade/

I would say NO on the Learning Language Arts through Literature.  I have the Gray 8th grade (8th, not even 7th grade) right here in my house...and it is woefully, woefully inadequate for 7th grade, let alone 8th grade.  

Now, I am comparing it to what we did last year which was a VERY rigorous private school program that is now sold to Charters called Calvert School.  My son did amazingly in depth literature studies with essays, vocabulary, genre study, plot study, studying allusions, etc. etc.  The literature studies in LLATL gray are, to me, an embarrassment, in comparison.  The writing in LLATL is inadequate, the vocabulary is way below level, and there is not enough grammar to make up for the lack of the other 3 components.  I really really really suggest that you look at something else.  It seems so nice to have it all in one package, but really...it's not highly recommended here, in general...and now I know why.  If I had never used the amazing, in depth LA curriculum that we did from another publisher, that stretched my son in every way and stretched our discussions in every way...I would perhaps not realize how inadequate LLATL is. 

If you want something comprehensive, Try Lightening LIterature and Composition from Hewitt Homeschooling.  That is what we will be trying next year.  The only reason we aren't this year, is because of time constraints with other big commitments.  It comes with a syllabus, daily assignments, complete instructions and teaching written to the student, and grading a few times per year of essays. 

I don't know too much about your other choices, except I hear great things about TT.

OK, TT is on hold, I will look into the other programs mentioned and then decide. 

Oak Meadow is interesting, however I really prefer to map out our own program, but I will look into it deeper. Can you do just certain subjects? It looked like you had to do the full program.

I dont really need to be completely hands off...my husband and I both work from home, so I am available. I just don't want to choose things that require heavy involvement on my part. Some, absolutely.

What is CE?

I can't thank you all enough for the quick replies!

To answer a few questions:

EFRTU: English from the Roots Up

Lightning Lit would replace any of the other lit choices, including LLATL.

Oak Meadow: yes you can do pieces if you are using it independently. We will be using just history and English next semester, for example. 

You might want to look into TabletClass or Khan Academy for math if you would really like computer-based learning. Khan also has some science online, as well. 

http://www.oakmeadowbookstore.com/Seventh-Grade-c153/ (you could easily mix multiple grade levels as well.)

My personal assessment of Lightning Lit is that it is light and surface-oriented. We are literature lovers and I sold it after never using more than 1 novel's worth. (But I am picky and very rarely use plans. I like to create my own lit units.)

Here is a link to Thinkwell's alg

http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/products/algebra-1

CE 2 is MCT's Caesar's English 2 vocab program.

I am soo grateful for all of your advice....thank you all for taking the time to help a newbie!

I think I am on the right track, but I am not sure what is still overlapping. Can I cut anything else below? I am pretty sure that we won't need Writing for 100 days.

English Lit- Lightning Lit and Comp 

Writing for 100 days 

LIghtning LIt covers composition and writing.  It covers vocab although you can add a roots based vocab like Wordly Wise if you want.  They recommend a grammar supplement if your child has not had enough grammar.  But, usually toward 7th and 8th grade your shift goes from grammar to using grammar in writing, and doing more intense writing in general. So, I would just drop Hake and see what it is the Hewitt people recommend for grammar- it was a thin book, if I recall correctly that was a fast but thorough overview of grammar.  

So, for LA you would just have

Lightning LIt and Comp 

(maybe the grammar supplement if you think your child does not have a good understanding of grammar and mechanics)

and, if you want to start prepping for SAT's now, Worldly Wise (although I hear that hte new SAT does not do Latin and Greek based vocab, but vocab that a high school student is like to be exposed to in their reading and studying aka it's easier...you may want to check on the high school board for an update on that.)

It's easier for me to add in and supplement as needed than to end up feeling stressed that I didn't finish books or wasted money on materials I didn't use. I'd start small with lower expectations about what you can accomplish and grow from there. I have played around with doing grammar and vocabulary and writing and lit analysis and spelling and find it overwhelming. Instead, I do a grammar unit, then a writing unit, then literature focus, etc... Some stuff gets woven through it all, but it's easier on me to have English be just "one thing" and not juggle too many different programs.

I learned the hard way not to schedule too much for that first year.  I did and had to scale way back.

Algebra:  I would ditch LoF.  My 7th grade DD liked it, but we just had too much on our plate and I didn't think it added much to the curriculum (she is doing Saxon pre-algebra this year).

English:  We've done MCT from Island level through Voyage level.  The grammar and vocabulary program rocks!  The literature suggestions and his guides are also top-notch.  I personally do not like the writing portion of the program, as it is not explicit enough, but he does have a writing program is you want to go this way.  If you go the MCT route, you won't need any other grammar, so you can ditch Hake.  If you don't like MCT, R+S has an excellent grammar and writing program.  Just writing:  Writing With Skill is top-notch, IMO.  If you paired it with MCT grammar and a literature program, you're all set for English.

History:  DD uses Human Odyssey as her reading spine for the Classical historian.  We like HO.

I am pulling my DD from public school, this is what I have semi planned. I would love feedback...am I missing anything? Any suggestions for a comprehensive English Lit program other than MCT (looks dry)??

Algebra 1-TT and Life of Fred (maybe)

English Lit- Movies through Literature and  MCT (maybe)

Learning Language Arts Through Literature 

Writing for 100 days

History - Human Odyssey Pre History through Middle Ages $75

Science - Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy w/ experiment kit-

Cosmos Series

Bluedorn's Fallacy Detective

Taking a different point of view: whatever curricula you end up using, I would start with English and maths only plus PE. At the end of a month, see how things are going and, if all seems well, slowly add in the other subjects. This is new to you all, so you need to be gentle with yourselves.

Thank you all!

I feel that there is such a big learning curve here but I also feel that we really don't have a lot of time to waste. I need to try to keep perspective that time is not an issue and we can continue into the summer if need be, we don't have a hard stop date. But I admit that I am feeling antsy because we are jumping in late!

Yes. Do remember that you don't have a transcript to fill out this year and you just might not get a full year of work done. That is okay while you are getting on your feet.

When I was home educating, some subjects were finished early each year and some ran over into the following year. I kept a careful eye on maths but there was flexibility elsewhere. For example, it took us seven years to get through the four years of Story of the World because we added in so much great stuff. That was fine: it was all learning.

Once you get to high school you need to be more precise, but there is leeway to enjoy for the next two years.