Menu

My jaw has been semi-locked/painful for a couple of weeks... any home remedies?

AimeeM

There really isn't anything that my dentist can do. I know I have TMD/TMJ (been stated with x-rays before). I know the standard relaxation and stretching exercises, but nothing is improving it this time. It hurts so badly, when I eat, that I feel almost nauseated. This has happened before, pretty frequently, but never for as long a stretch as this with no relief. 

Make a hot rice pack….(uncooked rice in a clean sock)…nuke for 2 minutes….hold on the side of your jaw.

YOu can also try and treat your trigger points/issues by doing self-massage.  There are some videos on Youtube which can help.  If you can open your jaw at all, you can press on the outside at the hinge point.  Press…hold for 5-10 seconds, release.  You can massage the masseter muscle on the outside.  YOu can massage temporalis on the outside of your head.  Look for trigger points…areas when you press they radiate pain.

You can use the eraser side of a pencil to push…it's sometimes easier than using your fingers.  Really good on the temporalis (Side of the head).  To find it…. put your hand flat over the side of your head, above your ear.  Now, clench your jaw…your temporalis muscle will pop out.  Push/press/massage that area.