Menu

Fun multiplication practice?

Runningmom80

We used Times Tales when DS was 5. I got high recommendations for it from the K-8 board on this forum. I can attest that it works and it sticks. My DS learned the tables in less than a week using it and it has stuck more than a year later. But, what we did was to finish all of SM WB + IP + CWP relating to multiplication and then did the Times Tales.

Here it is:

http://www.timestales.com/TTPrintVersionPage.html

ETA: Timez Attack gives DS anxiety and panic attacks and scares him. So, if your child cannot handle activities where he is timed or if the rescue of a person in distress depended on how accurate the math answers are, it may not work.

Not that fun, but different. My daughter liked it better than regular math facts, my son does not.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/13520291/

For my daughter, seeing that there were only so many facts and so many answers helped her, she stopped making wacky guesses after a few weeks using this, we used a printed version. My son does not make wacky guesses and prefers regular facts, but I want him to know them backwards and forwards so he alternates between regular fact practice and the honeycomb.

Scholastic has an ebook that provides printable templates to make cootie catchers (those paper fortune teller things) for math facts practice. DD really enjoyed making those and decorating and playing the games with it, and I figure it was good fine motor practice, too. I got it on one of the $1 sales.

We used Times Tales when DS was 5. I got high recommendations for it from the K-8 board on this forum. I can attest that it works and it sticks. My DS learned the tables in less than a week using it and it has stuck more than a year later. But, what we did was to finish all of SM WB + IP + CWP relating to multiplication and then did the Times Tales.

Here it is:

ETA: Timez Attack gives DS anxiety and panic attacks and scares him. So, if your child cannot handle activities where he is timed or if the rescue of a person in distress depended on how accurate the math answers are, it may not work.

Ah!  Good to know, thank you.  We definitely have that here.

Here it is:

Do you recommend the DVD or the print version?

Do you recommend the DVD or the print version?

I was recommended the print version and that is what I bought from amazon. We did the multiplication part in small sessions in 2-3 days. We played the dice game inside it a few times because DS loved the game. Then, we carried the flashcards in a ziploc bag when we went on a road trip to LA and reviewed it for fun 4 times and that was it. My DS who was 5 at that time memorized the whole thing and was able to remember all the times tables up to 9x9. 

Months later, I pulled it out and did the division section for 2 days before retiring the set.

So, I think that the DVD is not really necessary for something that you might need to use for a few days.