Menu

What do people use after SOTW?

LAmom

History Odyssey?

That's what we started using in sixth grade, after SOTW. It uses Kingfisher, which DD likes, and Story of Mankind, which she didn't really like. So we are using Human Odyssey instead, and she likes that okay.

Also, for literature, History Odyssey incorporates a lot of literature, but I also make lists from various recommendations.

I am trying to figure that out as well! I have the Veritas press timeline cards, Kingfisher and Usborne Encyclopedias and a tin of books I have collected at library book sales. I may build our own program from all of that and supplement with biographies from the library.

We did k12's Human Odyssey as a spine for 5th and 6th (vol. 1 and part of vol. 2), then switched to Hakim's Story of Us for an American history focus in 7th and 8th supplementing with the rest of vol. 2 and vol. 3 of Human Odyssey for more of a world context. We added in a geography/world cultures component in 5th using a lot of travel videos, hit that again in 8th with Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art. In 6th, we did a survey of modern world religions with a bunch of field trips to various houses of worship that I arranged through our local co-op. In 7th, the supplement was civics using icivics.org. In 8th, we also added a current events component through the local co-op using the Scholastic NY Times Upfront magazine.

For high school, this year (9th) we're doing American government with the co-op using Glencoe's American Civics, as well as another round of the current events, and a semester of sociology through an online part-time program with our local school system. Going forward, I anticipate we will do US, world history (possibly AP for one of them), through the school system.

Literature in middle school was a mix. I've always added some level of literature to go along with history. In 5th and 6th, she participated in the National Mythology Exam, so read a good bit prepping for that. She was in an outside writing class with a literature component for 7th and 8th, and in 8th did a lit class through the Virtual Homeschool Group on the effects of inequality on literature and culture. She is advanced in this area, and the 8th grade classes were high school level, the 7th was honors. She participated in a classics book club online through VHG starting in 7th and continues that. In 6th grade, we did a movies as lit focus, pulling from the Movies as Lit curriculum and the Annenberg video series on American cinema, and in 7th, did an intro to theater class that included a lot of Shakespeare (she loves Shakespeare). She's an artist and very visual, so I found it easier to introduce literary elements through movies. In the summer before 8th grade, I had her do a biblical literacy course, using the book The Bible and Its Influence, as well as reading the Tanakh, the Protestant New Testament, and the deuterocanonical material from a Roman Catholic Bible. I believe we tried some of the Michael Clay Thompson material in 5th, but it wasn't a good fit for us.

In high school, this year she is continuing the classics book club, doing a semester enrichment class on Classical mythology with me at our co-op (using the book Classical Mythology and More), and doing an honors English 9 course through the part-time school program. I hear constant complaints about Common Core, but I have to say I'm very impressed with the rigor and depth of the Common Core English class she's doing. She will likely continue with them, including AP classes. We will have to see what is offered through various co-ops and dual enrollment to see how things shake out over high school.

Planned on using Human Odyssey but then dd went to public school. I still have the Moderns volume and occasionally pick it up and read it! It's that interesting, IMO.

For ds' high school, we used two years of Omnibus, which uses a little Spielvogel and The Great Books. We used a series for Moderns that goes thru each decade--but I can't think of the name at the moment. It is British and each chapter is a year. We used WTM lists and Sonlight 300 (the old one) also (and I supplemented SL with Sparknotes as some of the books did not come with any--ANY--commentary, discussion questions, etc...).

5th: K12 Human Odyssey volume 1

6th: K12 Human Odyssey volume 2

7th: K12 Human Odyssey volume 3

8th: K12 American Odyssey

:lol:

9th: She wanted to study ancient world history. She did not like SWB's History of the Ancient World. We are using the audio lectures "History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective" from Teaching Company/Great Courses as a spine. She will be reading approximately 12 books covering Mesopotamian civilizations, Egypt, Greece, China (2 awesome books, plus things we picked up at museums while we were there this summer), Rome, Polynesia, and the Americas.

Dd12 is finally happy to do history again! We're spending this quarter on the civil war using materials from the middle school section of civilwar.org and it's been great.

We'll use Connect the Thoughts up through WW II and I'm still deciding on what to focus on after that... CtT seemed a bit sparse for the more recent stuff so we'll cobble something together.

We've done SOTW for the past eight years. I'm using K12's Human Odyssey Vol. 1 as a read aloud spine this year (kids are grades 1 - 7). I'm liking it a lot. I rearranged the chapters a bit to organize our studies more geographically and made lists of coordinating literature selections (see my blog for the lists). All four students are filling out History Portfolios. We work on a couple of pages each week. I also get library books on the historical topics we are focusing on that week.

My oldest is using Notgrass' America the Beautiful.  I don't plan to do history at all next year (8th grade).  In fact, I think we will be finished with Notgrass in December/January and we'll just wipe history off our schedule.  She hates history with a passion, so I'm trying not to overdo it.

I thought you just go through Sotw again using higher level books in the activity guide, a timeline, and topic studies. :confused1:

I would get my $ worth doing it twice.

If your looking for something different with a Christian world view built in try History Revealed by Diana Warring. We might use this also.