Menu

Proclicking Critical Thinking books

Hello!

This is a silly question, but I just wanted some insights.  I have Mathematical Reasoning book from the Critical Thinking Company and 3 children I'd like to use it with. 

Is it cheaper to cut the binding and make 2 copies and then bind it or just buy 2 new books for the other kids when they are of age?  It cost $42.  Sometimes I get a 20% off coupon, but then shipping is about $10.  I think homeschool buyers co-op has a 15% off every now and then, but don't remember if that comes with free shipping. 

What do you do?  I plan on ordering the rest of the series as they get older. 

Thanks for any input.

I bought Mathematical Reasoning A from Amazon. I paid $32 and it is now as low as $29 including shipping. I did the entire book verbally with my DS and saved it for younger DD. We decided not to use MR from B level. I think binding two copies would be much cheaper than buying two books.

Thank you Moon.  I'm guessing on amazon you bought yours used?  I bought the Building Skills one used through amazon too and 90% of the book were written in.  Needless to say I was not too happy about that.  So, I'm not buying it used anymore at least not through that used bookstore.

I guess I was wondering if it was worth it.  The time and effort.  And how much is it to make a copy?  When I was going to school, I think it was 10 cents per page.  Obviously, costs has gone up since then.  :) 

I do have a printer, but it's not a laser one.

Btw, I like your new avatar.  :) 

Buy the digital.  That is the cheapest.  Three-hole punch and be done.

This always, if available, especially for use w/ multiple kids, but you could still use the ProClick if you wanted to.

You might want to consider this time saver: an electric 3 hole punch. I got one for under $10. Take the help where you can get it.

Thank you Moon.  I'm guessing on amazon you bought yours used?  I bought the Building Skills one used through amazon too and 90% of the book were written in.  Needless to say I was not too happy about that.  So, I'm not buying it used anymore at least not through that used bookstore.

I guess I was wondering if it was worth it.  The time and effort.  And how much is it to make a copy?  When I was going to school, I think it was 10 cents per page.  Obviously, costs has gone up since then.  :)

I do have a printer, but it's not a laser one.

Btw, I like your new avatar.  :)

No, I didn't buy it used. I bought it new from other sellers through Amazon. I don't trust used books from Amazon, either. Mathematical Reasoning Level A brand new book now costs $30.90 plus $4 shipping on Amazon. (The price went up overnight!) Which level book do you need?

I'm not sure how much it is to make a copy of MR.. I own a laser printer and a proclick machine so I use them for digital books and worksheets. Maybe you can ask for a quote at your local Staples? Or you could try to have your each child work on a separate notebook with one same book. It's a colorful, cute book so it might be a considering factor for your kids. Not very helpful.... I know.  :(   

Thank you for your compliment. :)

No, I didn't buy it used. I bought it new from other sellers through Amazon. I don't trust used books from Amazon, either. Mathematical Reasoning Level A brand new book now costs $30.90 plus $4 shipping on Amazon. (The price went up overnight!) Which level book do you need?

I'm not sure how much it is to make a copy of MR.. I own a laser printer and a proclick machine so I use them for digital books and worksheets. Maybe you can ask for a quote at your local Staples? Or you could try to have your each child work on a separate notebook with one same book. It's a colorful, cute book so it might be a considering factor for your kids. Not very helpful.... I know.  :(   

Thank you for your compliment. :)

I already bought them.  :(  I should of asked the hive first.  :) 

Thank you for taking the time to write your advice.

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic, but I've bought dozens of used books from Amazon sellers. 

I've never had a bad experience.

I always buy "Like New" or "Very Good" (no markings), look for descriptions that are not generic but specific to that copy and seller ratings that are >95%. The one time I had a problem, I had taken a chance on a new seller (no ratings) and was sent a "Very Good" book with nearly the entire first chapter highlighted. She refunded me quickly.

I always buy "Like New" or "Very Good" (no markings), look for descriptions that are not generic but specific to that copy and seller ratings that are >95%. The one time I had a problem, I had taken a chance on a new seller (no ratings) and was sent a "Very Good" book with nearly the entire first chapter highlighted. She refunded me quickly.

The used bookstore that sold it said that it was in very good condition with little markings in it.  Had 4 1/2 stars....something like 97% good ratings with about 9,000 reviews.  I took a chance.  Got burnt.  Could have contacted the bookstore I'm sure, but got so busy and it was about 2 weeks later when I looked through it. 

Good to know that it's not always like that. 

I haven't had any problems from sellers from homeschoolclassifieds.com. 

Critical Thinking Company is on Currclick, but not all of their books are (the Mathematical Reasoning series is not, and I'm not aware that they sell this particular series as pdfs on their own site, either).  Just thought I'd mention that since the OP was specifically talking about MR. 

I found with BTSP and VPSB that most pages did not need to be duplicated. I simply cut the binding off so that the pages could lay flat for blocks, and duplicated what I needed.  I don't own MR, so I don't know how many pages need writing, but I thought I'd throw that out there for others who are reading in.

For things that need to be written in on a vast majority of pages, I buy the digital version, use my laser duplexing printer, and bind my own.