Menu

Exercise Thread ~ September 14th-20th

Negin

Can I post here? I need to do better. My goal is about 8 km/10,000 steps a day. I nearly always get at least 4 km when I go shopping and I'm fairly active through the day, but I really need to get out in the evening to consistently get those steps in. There's big, long hill a block away that is perfect for walking up and down.

I did a full kettlebody workout today, not just upperbody.  I kept the squats light, and went lighter to heavier for TGUs, but it felt good to do a full body workout.  I followed it up with a nice 20 minutes of yoga, getting plenty of stretch.

Day 3 of my detox.  I decided I can't stand the coconut oil in my tea.  It's gross.  The detox calls for a T (or more) or ghee in the morning, but you can sub coconut oil.  Most people seem to put it in their tea, but I don't like the how oily it is.  I left that out today.

And Amira, welcome!  

Will soon be doing some Blogilates videos. I told my daughter about these and now she's gotten me a bit into them. I watch her doing them while preparing dinner or whatever. Cassey is fun and energetic. I'll see if I like doing them. I'm most definitely at the beginner stage. 

Can I post here? I need to do better. 

Amira, of course you can post here :D. Welcome!

I ran in the dark (I hate shorter days). So far it has been the best part of the day.

Me too. On the other hand, I really, really miss the very long summer days. We never get those in the tropics. The length of days here are quite uniform (as in a bit boring) since we're so close to the equator. 

Soror, so glad you're sleeping better!  I know how off I am when my sleep is bad.  It makes life hard.

Today was a 60 minute yoga practice.

This is day 4 of the detox.  In my head I thought 3 days would be easy, 5 would be a bit hard, and 7 really hard.  I'm feeling ok.  My stomach hasn't had all of the issues that I normally have, but nor is it where I want it to be (which is more regular).  And I've lost 2.5 lbs.  I'm not doing this for weight loss, and I'm not overweight.  I'm eating a lot of food, most of it beans a rice with veggies, but quite a large quanity, so it's interesting to see that I lost some weight.  And I don't drop weight easily, plus I've not run in 2 weeks, just yoga and a small amount of kettlebell.  

I am starting to think how will I change things when this detox is done.  I'm unsure, but right now I'm feeling pretty good (just missing my coffee!!!!!) so I may make some changes to my overall diet when I'm done (just not the coffee. :) )

Hello to the new people!

Monday- 3 mile run. It's the first time I've felt all back since my injury in June.

Bike ride next to my 13 yo ds who just started a year long testing year for his junior blackbelt. I rode along side him as he did jog/run/sprints. The benchmarks he must meet for conditioning are formidable- but exciting.

Good going on the detox!   That's pretty crazy to do all that at once but the benefits are showing now, so that makes it worth it.

I'm still struggling with juggling the school schedule and WOs.  Everything is getting done, but it doesn't feel as smooth sailing as it did last [school] year.

Today skill work, stretch and roll.  

Funnily, I get up at 5:00. There's lots to fit in the day. Thursday I had to pick my dad up at 7:30 so working out didn't happen. I settled for kettle bell on Friday because I had to have ds somewhere at 7am. I took a chilly run this morning(yep, got up at 5:00). I think it took 2 miles to feel my fingers. I am not a lover of cooler weather. I miss summer already.

It's still in the 90s (F) here so I'm still melting. Yesterday I was outside the majority of the day and the sweat was just dripping inside my shirt. I hate that feeling when I'm not working out. Just yuck. And can I say there is nothing worse than wearing a bra in the stifling heat and drenched sweat? Blech.

It doesn't cool down until December.   

Day 3 of my detox.  I decided I can't stand the coconut oil in my tea.  It's gross.  The detox calls for a T (or more) or ghee in the morning, but you can sub coconut oil.  Most people seem to put it in their tea, but I don't like the how oily it is.  I left that out today.

I can't remember what kind of detox you're doing? I put coconut oil in my smoothies or mixed in with my oatmeal. When I put it in smoothies it sometimes (if I don't blend it immediately) solidifies into little chunks, but I like eating them. So is there anything else you eat or drink that you can put the oil in?

Monday- 3 mile run. It's the first time I've felt all back since my injury in June.

Bike ride next to my 13 yo ds who just started a year long testing year for his junior blackbelt. I rode along side him as he did jog/run/sprints. The benchmarks he must meet for conditioning are formidable- but exciting.

Congrats on the run. I'm just not a runner so I look up to you people who trek these miles. 

My oldest is also in training mode for his junior black belt. He's scheduled to test around December. I promised him I'd run with him to help him train for the running part he has to do. Please note the above comment about me NOT being a runner. The things we do for our kids. 

We haven't started yet mostly because it's still so very hot, and being a teen he does not get up early enough to run before the heat really begins. I've tried to get him out of bed earlier to train, and I quickly decided that it is not worth the battle or the crankiness that pours from him.  :lol:  Besides, at his age, it needs to be his choice to get up and put in the effort. 

This morning I did Bob Harper Rev Cardio. It's been a long time since I've done this one. A long time. It was hard and it reminded me that I like his videos. Taking a break from FB to go through my collection of videos as they were collecting dust. Then I'll get back to FB. 

This morning was a kettlebell conditioning workout.  I haven't done a conditioning workout with kettlebells in a long time, since I usually run I only use kettlebells for strength workouts.  But today's workout went well.  I even did jump squats and my hamstring felt fine.  It even felt fine when I did yoga afterwards.  I think it's on the mend.  I plan to give it another week and then maybe try a short run.   

Day 5.  I'm doing an Ayurvedic detox, Mom-ninja.  The coconut oil is in place of ghee (I wanted no dairy), and you are supposed to take it straight (!) before eating any food.  I read a lot of different stuff, and most people recommended putting it in your tea.  It's a mild laxative. I've been trying it again.  It's definitely not something I will keep up when I'm done.  I will say this: It's possibe to eat a gluten free, dairy free, clean eating diet cheaply.  My overall cost, even if I overestamate a bit, is $4 a day.  Of course, I just keep eating the same thing.......and I don't think anyone would want to do it long term. :D

I did a stepped up (for me) yoga practice yesterday. does more core and upper body than my regular one - and it's a workout! I can really feel the serratus and obliques afterwards.  and as gruling a workout as it is - it's energizing.

I also weeded for 1 1/2 hours (I'm trying to clear an area I want to plant lots of siberian sedum. it's almost indestructable, and makes a great groundcover.)

and I walked for not quite 5000 steps (or once up my hill) - which considering everything else, was okay.

today

I've done my regular yoga practice (I've upped a couple of the poses)

and I plan to walk, and weed . . . . .

Help. I need to learn how to move too. I keep typing stuff then I erase it. I wish I had a friend to exercise with that was starting at the same level I'm on. Ground zero.

Do you push yourselves hard often?

Do you go alone? The heat here is still oppressive and the mosquitoes come out in the early morning and early evening so I'm not wanting to go outside to walk.

Tell me about your progress. Tell me how long you've been exercising.

Do you look better now than you did when you first started? How much weight did you want to lose and how much have you lost?

Do you exercise for maintenance or because it makes you feel good?

Pick a question!

I exercise for cardio vascular etcetera health reasons and because how good it makes me feel.

If you want to lose weight, you have to adjust your diet. You cannot exercise your way out of being overweight. It's too easy to eat a hundred (or several hundred) extra calories and too hard to burn that many calories. The #s are really clear.

Exercising will build muscle and help you tone up. I do look better but it's prob 90% due to diet.

I ride a stationary bike several times a week while watching a tv drama (30-50 min). Zumba 2/week or more. Couch to 5 k erratically.

7 minute workout on any days I can't get in a longer workout.

Maybe you can start with that? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/ there are apps you can get which do the timing and announce the exercises. I usually blast zumba music to go along with it :)

hornblower, I remember you and wondered about you but could never remember your forum name. I changed my name recently. Glad you're back!

Anyway...I do walk up and down our hill, a paved dead end lane, but not often enough. I need to do this so I can LIVE LONGER. I have cardio reasons too. Cardiologist told me I could lose 10-15 pounds. That would put me at the ideal weight for my height.

I looked up couch to 5k. I can do that.

Thanks! I will look at the link too. I went to a cardio rehab for 3months and felt SO GOOD. I want to feel like that again.

After yesterday I wanted an easier (for me) workout this morning. I did JM cardio kickboxing on youtube followed by Jackie Warner ab circuit training dvd. 

Do you go alone? The heat here is still oppressive and the mosquitoes come out in the early morning and early evening so I'm not wanting to go outside to walk.

Do you look better now than you did when you first started? How much weight did you want to lose and how much have you lost?

Pick a question!

I actually have eased up and don't push as hard as I used to since I injured my knee. I push hard to push past tiredness and muscle burn but not through pain or something feeling funky. Example, yesterday my knee started to feel weird in a tight-out-of-alignment feeling and I eased up on the depth of my squats and decreased the intensity of jumps. 

I exercise alone in my house. It works for me. I like not having to drive anywhere. I simply get dressed, vacuum my floor where I will be working out, and get started. I also don't have to worry about how my clothes cover me during exercise. If I'm in down dog and my cleavage is spilling out then no worries....no one to see. I don't really exercise outside as it's hot where I live and also lots of biting bugs. 

I've exercised all my life. I took a few years off after I had my first and second babies. I exercised during my pregnancies but didn't when they were infants/toddlers. It was too much for me adjusting to motherhood. After my 3rd I wanted to start back exercising sooner so I did. I started as soon as I recovered from birth.

I exercise more now than I did when I was in my 20s. SO I'm actually stronger, have more endurance now, and more muscle definition. My weight is still the same as it's always been. I have never had a weight loss goal. There have been a few times that I had a weight gain goal. If I don't pay attention to my calorie intake I can easily not eat enough. That's my struggle. It may change later in life.

I exercise for all the reasons there are except weight loss. I want a strong body with good endurance. I want the neurological benefits of exercise including stress relief. Stress relief is a big reason for me. Also, I really like having a toned body. I like how I look. Yes, pure vanity but there it is.   

Yes. 

Do you go alone?

Yes, and no.   My WOs are alone at home.   I do some of my skill work with friends such as for martial arts.   Some of my skill work I do alone.  Skill work refers to refining a specific technique.

Do you look better now than you did when you first started? How much weight did you want to lose and how much have you lost?  Do you exercise for maintenance or because it makes you feel good?

I've been exercising my whole life.   Actually, I don't  "exercise" per se, I have always thought of it as conditioning for a specific goal.   When I wanted to ride bike races, I trained for that.  When I wanted to run races, I trained for that.  When I wanted to be more bendy, I did yoga.    I am an older beginner in martial arts so I'm conditioning for that.   In addition I have a personal goal of achieving a Stalder Press and I've been conditioning for that (it's a freakish amount of work for an old goat like me, lol).

Today, WO, stretch and roll.   I've been neglecting the rolling and I'm feeling it.   I will try today to work on flow.  

I don't post on these often but I do exercise regularly :) Yesterday I was looking through GaiamTV for a video and came across the classic "The Firm" videos. I remember my mom doing these in the 80's and being in ridiculously good shape. I may give them a try because the reviews are always great for them. I kind of feel like I need to buy one of those high cut leotards, beige tights with the sheen, slouch socks, and white sneakers to be able to fully enjoy my experience though ;) 

Help. I need to learn how to move too. I keep typing stuff then I erase it. I wish I had a friend to exercise with that was starting at the same level I'm on. Ground zero.

Pick a question!

I started at ground zero.  I had no muscle tone, no flexibility, and no cardio ability.  I first attempted to exercise after my dh and I did a trip to the Grand Canyon.  We were young (25), and I was not overweight.  We hiked half way down and then back up in a day.  My dh had our dd on his back.  I honestly thought I was not going to make it.  We kept having to stop and take breaks.  The sun was setting, it was getting cold.  I told my dh that he needed to get to the top for our dd.  There was another group of teenagers hiking back up.  There was a very overweight girl trying to get back up too.  The two of us huffed and puffed and encouraged each other to the top. :)  (my dh and I used to hike a lot, so I didn't realize how bad I was).  

After that I started to workout.  I had a Cindy Crawford video (still think that was a great video!).  I did that on and off for 2 years, then we got a treadmill and I attempted to run.  Children kept interferring with it. :P  I have 5 kids, and there were a few pregnancies where I had to limit my activity.  Then when my youngest was 3 I realized I was 30lbs overweight, still couldn't move well, and I was stressed out. (had myself a nice breakdown that winter, a bad one)  I started running again.  Then Pilates, then yoga, and more running. 

My motivation has always been my overall health, not my weight (I did lose weight, but diet is very important for that). You need to find you motivation.  It can be hard if you're the type of person who needs someone else with you.  I'm not.  I've always preferred alone.  But even if you are, you need to find what will get you out of bed and get moving. Take it one day at a time.  Find any activity you like.  It doesn't have to be running, or anything outside.  You can do yoga at home, or fitness DVDs.  I love doing kettlebell for strength training, and you can really get fit with those.  Find what works for you, then do it.  Do it one day, and if you don't the next day, don't worry.  Do not fall into the trap of judging yourself.  You do what you can do.  If you can make it a habit for a few weeks, you will feel a difference.  You will feel better and then you will want to keep doing it.  I'm at the point where I can't stand it if I don't do something.

When I started I was running and doing pilates or yoga 5x's a week, plus watching my food intake, for a year before I lost a single pound.  Then I lost 10, then another 10.  I thought that was it, so I bought new clothes, but then a year later I lost another 10.  I've kept it off for over 4 years.

My mental breakdown was a huge motivation for me, as well as not wanting to be competely broken when I'm old.  I don't want to be hunched over with a hump, or have frail bones, or be unable to be active.  I want to hike that Grand Canyon again, maybe at 60!  

You need to find your happy thought, the thing that overcomes your inertia.  It's for you, it's for your kids, it's for your grandkids that you will want to keep up with one day. :) 

Ok, I got myself carried away with my last post. I've been thinking a lot about why I do what I do, since right now I still can't run (I miss it!) and I've been on this detox. I've been a bit more emotional. :D

This morning was a 60 minute yoga practice.  Day 6 of dextox.  Last night I really wanted a glass of wine and some chocolate. :)  And the chicken and mashed potatoes I made the rest of the family looked good.  I need to get through today and tomorrow.  

Pick a question!

I've always been active and weight has never really been an issue- for years I went to the Y and exercised M-F at 5:00 a.m. and my husband and I tend to walk in the evenings while various kiddos do dishes. Insert a 6 year gap when my now 8 yo experienced tremendous health difficulties and I never slept more than a 4 hour stretch and we were in and out of hospitals every few months. I found myself out of shape and about 15 pounds heavier than I wanted and tired alllllll the time. I started couch potato to 5k with a teenaged daughter. I did it slowly- over a 6 month time period instead of the 5 or 6 week schedule.

That was about 3 years ago. I think. Anyway- as I started feeling stronger and better, and less tired I added in new things like weight training and Martial Arts..... fast forward to now. I do Kettlebell, Martial Arts, Run, and occasional fitness blenders and hiking or swimming and regular strength training because it's fun and makes me feel great. I ended up unintentionally losing 20 lbs (had to work to gain some back) and am the same measurements I was when I was fitted for my wedding dress. I do not have a friend I work out with- with 7 kids I now run for the alone time:)

In the meantime I found that Martial Arts is my passion. I love how strong its made me and how it challenges me mentally and physically.

Ok, I got myself carried away with my last post. I've been thinking a lot about why I do what I do, since right now I still can't run (I miss it!) and I've been on this detox. I've been a bit more emotional. :D

This morning was a 60 minute yoga practice. Day 6 of dextox. Last night I really wanted a glass of wine and some chocolate. :) And the chicken and mashed potatoes I made the rest of the family looked good. I need to get through today and tomorrow.

You can do it- the emotions are part of the detox. Just remind yourself of that!

Apparently my likes are all used up.

rieshy, I have seven kids too and am a grandmother.

Thank you, ladies, for the support and sharing your stories with me.

I am a loner as well, why I think I would be more motivated with a friend to exercise with is beyond me.

Kim in Appalachia, I understand. I am pokey, my kids leave me behind in the dust every time we go out.

I don't post on these often but I do exercise regularly :) Yesterday I was looking through GaiamTV for a video and came across the classic "The Firm" videos. I remember my mom doing these in the 80's and being in ridiculously good shape. I may give them a try because the reviews are always great for them. I kind of feel like I need to buy one of those high cut leotards, beige tights with the sheen, slouch socks, and white sneakers to be able to fully enjoy my experience though ;)

And I feel that you should post a pic if you don said outfit. 

I highly recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0R9oh7Ct_4

And hiking.

I need to learn how to move.  

Do you push yourselves hard often? Yes.

Do you go alone? Yes. The heat here is still oppressive and the mosquitoes come out in the early morning and early evening so I'm not wanting to go outside to walk.

Tell me about your progress. I've lost about 90 lbs. I'm stronger, faster, and a better wife and mother. Plus I'm kinda hot. Tell me how long you've been exercising. 3 years, including 1 pregnancy.

Do you look better now than you did when you first started? Yes!! How much weight did you want to lose and how much have you lost? 90/120 (?)

Do you exercise for maintenance or because it makes you feel good? Partially both. More too.

Pick a question!

ok, I did 45 mins of Tracy Anderson. I consider her a fairly easy workout and I was NOT feeling the workout love today.

I am in the midst of adjusting to the new school year and having a kid in public high school. Said kid was also accepted into the ballet company so he is gone for huge chunks of time and when he is around I feel like we are totally focused on his homework and getting him fed and everything else. It has been nuts. Not to mention my younger son is missing him like I have never seen. His heart is broken with missing his brother. It's been hard on all of us and I am feeling exhausted all the time. At the same time, I really need to find some time to exercise because the last thing I need is to put my kids' needs even more ahead of my own. I am really bad about that.

Maybe I need to pull out my old Zombies, Run! C5k phone app? I loved that when I did it, I always found it got me running. There is prob only a month at most of what I personally consider good running weather left. I could do that for a bit and then go back to Tracy Anderson for the cold weather.

I need to do SOMETHING to find the workout love.

Pick a question!

Well one dayI just decided I wanted to feel better and see my then 4yo  grow up.  I put on my very dilapidated sneakers and went running.  I would sprint 1/4 mile and then walk until I quit wheezing  :laugh: .  That was a couple years ago and I don't wheeze much anymore. :hurray: At the same time I just decided to quit eating junk.  Over several months I lost quite a bit of weight.  

I push when I feel like it and don't when I don't.  I have never done a plan or anything.  I literally run until I feel like turning around or by the clock if I know I have to be somewhere.  I do track distance with runkeeper on my phone.

I always go alone.  I started out not wanting anyone to know what I was doing because I didn't want to look stupid.  I live in a very small town where no one runs.  Except me.  The secret is out but I still don't want to be laughed at so I run very early when no one is awake to see me on back country roads.  I also enjoy the alone time with no one asking me anything or critiquing my music choices. In summer I just put on deet and hope it's not mutating me worse than the West Nile Fever would.  In winter I try to bounce if I slip and fall.

Progress? I just found my 'thing'.  I never would have thought it would be running.  I didn't like it and then ...I did.  I usually run 5-6 miles 5 or 6 times/week.  I don't race because I am waaaay too competitive and then all the joy would be sucked out of it.  That's my own weird quirk  :closedeyes:

I do look better now.  I am toned and muscular and  pretty hot for a 51 yo mother of 7 :laugh: Most importantly running (I also do kettlebell and yoga) makes me feel competent and healthy and mentally fresh and even keeled and  strong and independent and capable.  Pretty impressive for just moving through space.

Well that was a whole book.  

joyofsix (and now 7) you are a blast! My dad used to run. I miss him.

A few people in the 'hood go up and down the road, walking, running, etc. so I don't have to worry about being a freaker runner. :closedeyes:

I really want to run. Bra suggestions?

No more excuses. Cut loose, right? And I appreciate the advice of don't feel guilty. Just do what I can.

I have a Malibu pilates "chair" and some dvd's that I can get into.

There is a medical issue I have had twice in the past two years and that makes me a little timid about exercising in some ways. I don't know why I had it and it wasn't from over-exertion but most people get what I had from over-exertion. It seems like when I start getting into doing a lot of movement it hurts and then I have to really take it easy.
It was suggested I had these issues because of the number of pregnancies, l & d, but that was just a guess.

Back to your regular programming....

90 minute yoga practice that focused on core work. It was tough, but felt great.

Gaillardia, running bras depend on the size you need. I don't have much so I can get away with bras from Target, or whatever I find on clearance at Gap. My dd, who wears a 36DD needs a good bra. She gets the brand Moving Comfort, either the Helena or some other strong support type. We try to find them on sale for her, they are pricey.