Menu

Your motto for the school year

Soror

I like to have a focus for each year, this year I believe I've decided the official motto is, "More is more." - More consistency and evenness to our days

-More practice-  We're really working on building a strong base of fluency in our skills this year (ds struggles with this due to ADHD. We started working on this last year after our evals but I'm really hoping to get his base strong in this coming year so we can progress forward- for dd1 I'm hoping that we do well to start her with a good base of her skills- her reading fluently is a big goal for the year)

-More books - We're back to enjoying more read-alouds and I've added assigned independent reading for ds. 

-More discussions and more connections- Being so tired the last few years all too often I wasn't up for much of this, we got the basics done and that was good but now that I feel better it is wonderful to take the time to put things together. It is wonderful as well as ds is getting older and more able to participate in these conversations.

I'm trying to build our school culture here, we're transitioning here as before we could finish everything by lunch time but that is no longer the case and our days will only be getting longer. So, I'm working on myself and habits that I need to build as well as the kids. Slowly moving ds towards some independence and dd is just starting to have bits and pieces of this as she is not behind in this area like he was. My youngers are working on playing on their own. We're working on attitudes and I'm expecting more of myself, more preparation and scheduling. I need to change as much or more than the kids if I expect us to reach our goals.

Our unofficial motto has long been "Because knowledge is better than ignorance." It's the standard answer to "Why do I have to know that?" Quia scientia melius quam nescire.

Lately though, with all the propaganda about Education for 21st-century Skills, our motto may change to "Educating for the Nineteenth Century."

"Less is More!"  

As in, we don't need to use 3 different grammar currics, or pull from 4 seperate writing currics - 1 or 2 in each subject is plenty. 

"Get 'er Done."

This year I seem to be less interested in content areas, and want to focus on skills - reading, writing, grammar, latin, memorizing, executive function, chores, money management, etc.

It's not a race.

I have the big picture for the year and book lists. No lesson plan or schedule this year. We do what we do, it takes as long as it takes, then we do the next thing. We can't get behind, and I like it. My only problem is we may have taken it a little too far and do need to get a little more done each day. Lol. We're working on it.

I tend to forget about my own well-being so...

happy mom = happy children = happy husband = happy home :thumbup:

I like this!

Mine is "be prepared and keep to the routine." Structure is working for us right now. That may change in the second half of the year though. ;-) like it did last year.

I'm loving the answers, funny and silly :)

Last year was a, "One day at a time" year. We focused on hitting the fundamentals well and relationships, everything else was gravy, it was a good year.

So, far this has been our best year yet I think. I'm proud to say we are still going strong and continuing to improve bit by bit 7 weeks into the year, which is saying something as generally I find something I don't really like by now :)

Mine is "adapt.....you can do this.....adapt." What I thought was going to be relaxed yr time-wise b/c we had no outside classes has turned into a jam-packed schedule of outside activities. I have no idea what I was thinking when their eyes were pleading and I succumbed and said yes. It doesn't help that I lost our driver (away for college) for a lot of the regular teen activities and that our Aspie is now working full-time 30 mins away and he doesn't drive.

I need to make better use of my driving time.