Menu

BYU Independent Study Courses?

urthmama

I was wondering if you have tried the BYU Indpendent Study Courses.  Experiences?  Thoughts?  Opinions? 

Ultimately, I would be more interested in whether the University courses transferring to other college programs, grading practices, etc. -  but I am also interested in how the Middle School and High School classes play out.   Thanks!

https://is.byu.edu/site/index.cfm

SierraNevada, you are citing the standards for enrolling as an on-campus admitted student. They do not apply to students taking distance courses. I believe the difference between member and non-member tuition also applies only to the on-campus students not the online/distance education courses that are paid for individually.

Their Arabic is dd's fallback, should TPS Arabic be too Christian-y for her (we school secularly). We went with TPS because the live class aspect was better than asynchronous with periodic discussions with a TA.

I would love to hear your secular experience with TPS language classes after your dd is done.

I have not personally used the BYU courses, but I have heard from folks IRL who have used them that there is very little (or no) actual instruction (this would be for several different levels of math).  It's mostly just a list of problems to do and then the tests.  One woman I know ended up hiring a tutor to do the teaching part of the course with her son.  She was just using BYU for the credit.

Also, they do require proctored exams, meaning that you need to find an acceptable proctor and clear the person with BYU before taking exams.

The best use for the BYU middle and high school courses are usually if you need accredited coursework for a school. It is widely used for "credit recovery" (in both public and private schools, there is no religious content). These courses can be a fast way for a student to make up a course they failed or didn't get to take.  If you are looking for engaging online courses where a gifted kid is going to be challenged and grow, this isn't the one I'd choose.