Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

What is it with you guys and Benedict Cumberbatch?????

Susan, this can't be explained, but if ever there was a thread that you probably need to just delete from top to bottom, though we are very, very proud of that thread, it would be the Ken Ham Kerfuffle of 2011 (GHC, Peter Enns, Ken getting in trouble, a little while later putting the tsunami "cartoon" on his blog, etc.). I doubt you have forgotten that! It was the beginning of the kilt obsession and was over 2000 posts strong, so my guess is that there are a gazillion kilt photos in that thread.

Next would be the cupcake kerfuffle of Aug. 2012. That had a HUGE number of cupcake photos. I still haven't been able to use the advanced search engine to pull up anything older than April.

Anyway, if it says Ryan Gosling, Benedict Cumberpatch, or Cupcake in the thread title, it probably needs to go. We are rather obsessed that way! :blushing:

• Like 2

We'll see what happens to Monsieur Galois...

I think you instigated this because you didn't like my new picture. Hmph.

I'm pretty sure the graphics I've posted have been from Wikipedia or (in a few cases) my pictures of my kids' work. I once had a photo of an ugly girl's outfit from an old book, that I posted years ago, but I have no clue where that is. Ugh.

Anyway, apparently my current avatar is from a portrait drawn by his brother in 1848. 

http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/PictDisplay/Galois.html

The other one is also quite old, per Wikipedia.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Evariste_galois.jpg

If preferred, I will replace.

• Like 3

Likely paparazzi or a celebrity photographer or a site like TMZ.

They take the copyright issues very seriously, otherwise it kills the price of the image.  Most celebrities don't care one way or the other because any exposure = good.

Just curious but how does Facebook get away with this? I see so much stuff taken from other sites and posted there all the time.

I don't put pics up here so my posts were fine.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's all my fault. I seem to be a prolific picture poster.   :leaving:

My guess would be that it has something to do with the rather, er, sensitive celebrity pictures that were stolen recently when several phones were hacked, and lawyers/law enforcement coming down hard on websites that have posted those and other unauthorized celebrity photos.  Just a guess, though.

And my avatar is me.  It was taken by my friend Jodi, but I don't foresee her coming after anyone over a copyright violation. ;)

• Like 10

Ugh! My issue is that I'm so technically inept that I haven't posted any pictures, blocks of text, etc. However, I very well may have quoted a post which contained the aforementioned items. I have no idea which, when, or how many. I can't troll through all my posts. Any thoughts?

<< I have no idea where my avatar came from.  Pretty sure it's not a celebrity.  Might be art work?  Does it need to come down?  I tried Googling it and can't find anything.  At one time I must have known where it came from.  Probably some image I found on the internet and liked it.  

:crying:  :crying:  :crying:

Nobody is going to know me.  

• Like 1

My guess would be that it has something to do with the rather, er, sensitive celebrity pictures that were stolen recently when several phones were hacked, and lawyers/law enforcement coming down hard on websites that have posted those and other unauthorized celebrity photos.  Just a guess, though.

Ah, very possibly. That makes sense. Obviously, we're not generally into THAT sort of thing. Did we even discuss that issue here? I don't think we did, never mind post photos. 

I have a new avatar. I took the photo myself. It is highly representative of my favorite homeschool resources. It is sideways, but I'm not sure why, lol. I can't get it to post right side up.

Beefcake photos of Otto von Habsburg, Anton Chekhov, Ernest Hemingway? Does anyone know how old a photo has to be before it's public domain? I ask because my photo of Jean Genet has disappeared, I assume as part of the general cleansing? Or can uploaded photos disappear without someone having taken them down? Maybe better just to delete everything. :(

• Like 5

I haven't had time to read the whole thread so maybe this was already covered but I know there are certain prolific posters, including the poster formerly known as Sparkly, that are no longer on this site, as far as I know.  Should we try to help point out their posts that might need editing?  Or link here to threads containing posts from those former posters that need editing so that a moderator can step in?

Good luck to all the rest of you who are trying to comb through old posts.  

Beefcake photos of Otto von Habsburg, Anton Chekhov, Ernest Hemingway? Does anyone know how old a photo has to be before it's public domain? I ask because my photo of Jean Genet has disappeared, I assume as part of the general cleansing? Or can uploaded photos disappear without someone having taken them down? Maybe better just to delete everything. :(

Go for government photos! They're all in the public domain!

Or try http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Free_media_resources/Photography  but the one from Texas is a broken link, alas

My mother once had a lady promise her Biblical collection contained a photo of Jesus. Intrigued, my mother visited the collection. It was indeed a photo, but a photo of a painting

Luckily the quote in my signature is from 1901. Whew.

ETA: I posted three "beefcake" photos in August of 2012, but it only shows in my search history, and two of the photos are no longer valid, only one of Mike Myers in a kilt. And the thread can't be pulled up because it's so old.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/415845-i-have-some-beef-with-you-ladies/?view=findpost&p=4210193

I don't even know how to find pictures I've posted, but since I don't do many, and I usually seek out Wikipedia, including for some wacky charts I've posted, I am just going to do my best to check and call it a day.

• Like 2

I downloaded my avatar many years ago from a site with free, animated avatars. Would this type of site be in the public domain?

I got mine from a site with avatars others had created. But I didn't know if the person who created/posted owned the image. So in an effort to let people still recognize me, I drew my own with a mouse. I like my old one better.

• Like 2

Some of the threads were so photo-laden that I took them down instead of editing. Sorry...but it's turning into a long day. :drool:

I think it's perfectly understandable if you need to remove old threads, particularly because it seems as though time is of the essence. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that you should do whatever you need to do.

• Like 16

I've gone back over the last 40 pages of my posts. Ugh. What an idiot I am. Why do I have so many posts about how great mac and cheese is, of all things?

I can't deal with going back through time to find old photos. I have no memory of posting much of that, and I always aim for something from Wikipedia.

I am not going to take out extended quotations from books that are old and in the public domain and available on archive.org such as Mother Tongue, e.g. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/524153-the-mother-tongue-ii-a-new-antique/?do=findComment&comment=5842893

Per SWB, I am keeping the few embedded YouTube clips in. (ETA I removed the Degrassi Jr High episode but am keeping Kant and can't pronunctiation videos.)

I reduced some of my quotations in posts. I did a parody with a single word change of Green Eggs and Ham. I have decided parodies are allowed as free speech. I am at least as clever as 2 Live Crew. Right?

I had a side by side of Abraham Lincoln by the d'Aulaires and Munsch's The Scream at

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/522962-what-is-it-about-the-daulaire-books-that-rubs-me-the-wrong-way/?do=findComment&comment=5819741

but I've removed it since the Lincoln cover was from Amazon. sigh.

I really don't want to delete my curricula reviews such as my cleverly color coordinated post at

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/506687-popular-curriculumyou-have-no-desire-to-try/page-2?do=findComment&comment=5515423

Please tell me it can stay.

On Grammar Island

you ï¬nd wonderful things,

such as birds and language.

• Like 4

<< I have no idea where my avatar came from.  Pretty sure it's not a celebrity.  Might be art work?  Does it need to come down?  I tried Googling it and can't find anything.  At one time I must have known where it came from.  Probably some image I found on the internet and liked it.  

It's by this artist (scroll down and you'll see the image on this page of her flicker account):  https://www.flickr.com/photos/theodesign/page3/

I did a google image search and saw it featured here and then clicked around to find the original source:  http://sweetsweetlife.typepad.com/sweet_sweet_life/2009/09/i-have-fallen-hard-and-fast-for-every-single-thing-i-can-discover-about-abby-halpin-im-not-obsessed-or-anything-i-just-wel.html

I was wondering that too.  Mine is clip art from somewhere.  Probably not public domain, but I really don't remember.

ETA:  Decided to change mine, to play it safe!

I mostly quote Webster, he no longer cares!

:grouphug: That is a lot of photos to find and destroy...

(My avatar is a picture I took myself looking out from the cool island city/fortress of Mont St Michel, France.)

Mont St Michel is one of my favorite places in all the world!

• Like 2

So grateful I am not a picture poster....my avatar is my own feet taken by my own self.

Not much of a link poster, either.

In fact, I contribute nothing but raucous humor.  :D

Carry on.

Yeah, my avatar was done long ago before selfies were "in." I guess we can call it a headie. Of my own head. When I had hair. Before it fell out.

I used to contribute lots of posts that told stories using few words and lots of different smilies. Thankfully, they were all free use.

Things like this can make one long for the days of the old type forums- you know, the ones with long threads and no separate forums? Periodically, having to be cleansed of posts and started anew? The days when it was fun to be the first person to post on an empty, brand new board? Yep, I was here way back when...Sigh...

• Like 12