Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

Forum folks,

I can't give you specifics right now, but I need you all to take what I'm saying very seriously.

You MAY NOT post, on this forum, ANY photos or ANY text that you have taken from any Internet site, unless YOU PERSONALLY took the photo or wrote the text.

ANY PHOTO, ANY TEXT, FROM ANY SITE.

Please review your existing posts and remove any material that comes from ANYWHERE on the Internet. 

I'm posting this on every single board, but only this one will remain open for comment. 

Thank you,

SWB

ETA, TO PUT THIS HIGHER IN THE THREAD:  

Here is the quickest way I have found to find and remove .jpg OR .gif photos from my posts.  

It is much quicker than just searching for your own posts and wading through 40 pages of them. 

--Click on the tool symbol - the gear picture to the right of the magnifying glass at the top right of every page. That gets you to the "Advanced Search" page.

Now fill in a few blanks (skip the ones not mentioned below):

--In the "Find Words" box, put .jpg
Be sure to include the period in .jpg or .gif, as you need at least four characters for a search.

(ETA:  As suggested by several posters, once you've done this search process using .jpg, it would be wise to go through again using .jpeg, using .gif, and using .png, to be sure you've found photos in these formats in addition to the .jpg format photos.)

--Under "Search in Section", click on "Forums".

--Under "Find author" type your username - in my case it would be justasque.

--Under "Display Results" click "As a topic list"

(This will give you just the relevant posts, instead of the whole threads.)

--Then hit "Search Now".  This should give you a list of all of your posts with .jpg pictures in them.
You can then scroll through your posts and skim them to see if the pictures need to go due to copyright issues or if they can stay because they are your own pics.  

--To edit a post (as there is no edit button in this view), click on the post number (in the upper right of the post), which will show that post in context and with an edit button.

(In Chrome, and some other browsers, you can right-click, which will open a new tab, so you can work in the new tab then close it and continue reviewing your posts in the original tab.) 

--To remove a picture, hit the edit button.  
----You can then click the little square box in the upper left of the edit box to toggle between "preview" and "HTML view". 
----In HTML view, find the code that includes the picture, and delete it, then save the post. 
------The HTML code for the picture will be enclosed in square brackets, and will usually say img src = some_kind_of_url in between the brackets.  Delete the brackets and whatever is in between them.
--If you can't remove the picture because the thread was locked, hit the report button instead.

-------------------------ORIGINAL POST --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same thought - is it OK to post a paragraph or two from an article, with link to the article?  Or would you prefer everything be taken down (a huge proposition for those of us with thousands of posts we'd have to review)?  I'm OK with whatever, but would like to be sure before spending the time.  

(And what about posters who have since passed - I'm thinking of Kalanamak (sp?) and others.)

• Like 4

urgh...I *know* I posted something on charter schools recently (Copied from the internet), but I can't find it in a search. Can someone please tell me a quick way to search the titles of posts I've put up so I can delete it?

Can you find it under "content" on your profile page?

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a try.

ETA:  
THERE IS A QUICKER, MORE TARGETED METHOD DESCRIBED IN THIS POST.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To review your posts, click on your name in the upper right of any page,
under By Content Type check Forums, under See This Member's check Only Posts.

You can then page through your posts and skim them to see if there are quotes or pictures included.

To edit a post (as there is no edit button in this view), click on the post number, which will show that post in context and with an edit button.

(In Chrome you can right-click, which will open a new tab, so you can work in the new tab then close it and continue reviewing your posts in the original tab.)

• Like 7

Guys,

Links are fine.

Brief quotes from published articles are OK with links back to the original source, but keep the quotes short--WELL below 5% of the total article length.

Wikipedia is generally considered public domain.

Fair use/open use is OK, but be VERY sure that anything you post falls under this category. 

NEVER pull photos off magazine or news sites. 

Photos are really not OK unless you took them or unless you can prove that THEY are in the public domain. And yeah, that includes cupcakes and kilts. And probably Ryan Gosling too.

Photos in avatars are still photos, so unless you own the rights or the photo is in the public domain, then yeah, it should come down too.

I apologize for the trouble, but please try to do what you can.

SWB

We can only go back so far in our history to edit, and some threads are locked.  There's no way we can edit those. 

Only do what you can do. I'm not asking for miracles.  :-)

You can also forward me the links to any locked threads that you think might need to be edited.

RE the Chesterton poem: is it still in copyright? If so, then you can't actually post it without violating the copyright.

SWB

Susan, there are too many users and too many posts. Too many of the latter are archived and too many of the former are long gone and will never see this.

If real trouble is looming would it not be better to lock down and hide the boards entirely, republishing portions (perhaps most recent first) as threads are cleared? You could probably enlist a cadre of trusted boardies to expedite the process.

• Like 16

I had republished an e-mail response from Joan Cotter concerning a question regarding her RighStart Math curriculum. At the time I posted it, I had inquired to the page about whether or not that was okay. I just removed it, but it was something she had sent out on the yahoo group. Is that considered illegal or wrong? I attributed her words to her.

Susan, there are too many users and too many posts. Too many of the latter are archived and too many of the former are long gone and will never see this.

If real trouble is looming would it not be better to lock down and hide the boards entirely, republishing portions (perhaps most recent first) as threads are cleared? You could probably enlist a cadre of trusted boardies to expedite the process.

I've been on other boards where forums like the chat board are private and require a certain number of posts to access. I know you don't want to give anyone an illusion of safety or privacy, but it might cut down on the ability of third parties to see what's there? 

ETA: I think most of the things I have quoted fit within fair use guidelines (only a small percentage is quoted, original source is attributed, etc). But, I *know* I have posted photos in many a locked thread.

Technically, my avatar is from the company's site, but I can't see them being mad about that? I guess I could take my own photo of the ones in my refrigerator. 

• Like 4

I checked the source of my avatar and the image is free to use but needs attribution. I'm thinking if I attribute the source in my profile page that would be OK?

Perhaps a lawyer will have better advice, but I would attribute it.  However, fair use laws seem to say that for many cases a non-profit use of a work in reduced size is likely OK.  

http://www.creativedesignoutlet.com/sigtag/fairuse.shtml

• Like 1

Tibbie, thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to do this--for many reasons. Please just check what you can, and keep this in mind for the future.

On our Book a Week thread, we often quote the publisher's book description and/or excerpts from reviews (usually with links.

I know I have frequently linked to Amazon's book description, but quoted some part of the review and/or description.

Should we be trying to take all of that down?

...and, re poetry: when discussing a book of poems it is my understanding that a review may include the text of one of two shorter poems or an extract from a longer one.

...and often folks will share a paragraph or so from a work they are currently reading...

I'll put a link to this on our current BaW thread so everyone can see your responses, and ask any other questions they might have.

What a mess, honey!  We'll try to help as much as we can.

Eliana

Eliana, all of those things are well within fair use, especially in the context of a book discussion.

SWB

I have a photo of a pineapple plant here (eta: the thread is locked, so I can't remove it myself):

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526421-sparkly-unicorn/?p=5890541

Going though my content, I guess I link a lot more often than I actually quote or upload photos. 

Hold on, I quoted some stuff from a blog post here about the Pearls. It includes quotes with attributions. Is it things like this that are the problem? Most of those types of things are going to be in locked threads where we can't edit them. But, it is *is* properly attributed and definitely less than 5% of their book, well within fair use/critique guidelines.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/525752-jill-duggar-dillard-is-pregnant/page-7?do=findComment&comment=5881942

I have a photo of a pineapple plant here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526421-sparkly-unicorn/?p=5890541

Going though my content, I guess I link a lot more often than I actually quote or upload photos. 

Are things like that ok?  Most of us seem to link, but should they all be removed, too?  I wish there was a quick detonate button to delete all of our past posts.  Just seems easier.

Read Justasque's post above

>>>>> click <<<<<

about how to see all your posts

in one nice long list.

The way she describes it gives you access to all your actual posts, not just thread titles in which you might have any number of posts. I just did 40 pages in about 15 minutes.  Sorry about the large, loud text above! I just found her method to be the easiest way to see everything, and it helps WTM/SWB to get what we can off the site.

• Like 13