Menu

Grammar for a mom who doesn't remember learning this stuff

What's a good grammar for mom who doesn't do grammar? I always did well in English class, but I honestly don't remember this stuff. We use R&S and it's been fine for the younger grades. But, I find MY eyes glazing over when reading the lesson to my 7th grader. When ds did it two years ago, it was the same. But we got through it. There were often times when I read something to him and he understood it, but I didn't lol. (I could go back over it and figure it out, but it really made me think) Now, we're starting to do it with dd and I can tell that it's going to be a struggle. Is there anything that presents the material a little easier to understand? Or...what? I don't know if it's just that we need to get through the material or if the curriculum really isn't working for us. What could I look at instead? 

IEW's Fix It!? 

I have never used it, but I'm considering it, and I don't use IEW's writing materials. 

ETA: If you can watch the webinar on Fix It!, there is a chart on what each level covers at about the 0:51:00 mark. Too bad that chart is not on their site with the placement tests. IEW has a great return policy, so it might be worth it. You purchase the teacher's manual and then download the student's book and print off what you need. 

I felt that way too!  I was hoping that going through it the second time, I would learn a little more.  By the time I got to my 4th child I would finally understand it!

I'm not sure that IEW Fix It! is for you. I switched my oldest to IEW Fix-It! this year after completing R&S 7. (He was just not retaining the material and I decided my goal for this child was learning grammar up to about R&S 6 or 7. I was hoping IEW Fix-It would keep that knowledge fresh in a fun way.) The program actually recommends starting at the first book and working quickly through.  I decided to do that after looking over the placement tests and being confused at the way they were labeling the sentences (instead of diagramming them) with their own terminology.  I am sticking with it for now because my DS finally enjoys grammar, but it is another method for me to learn.  

If HE was doing fine with R&S and it was just me that was confused, I would recommend sticking with R&S.

Thanks for all the responses. We did stick with R&S for ds. He understood what I was reading to him, even when I needed to reread it slowly. lol  I'm fine until the 7th grade book! That one makes me cry. ;) I think dd would be fine (maybe) if I could explain it to her, instead of reading it together. But I don't understand it enough to do that. If I studied it the night before, it'd probably work. But time is limited! I'd like to use it in other ways! Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions! I've been looking over them. I think we're going to stick with something that diagrams. She likes that and being a kinesetic learner, it works for her. I'm looking at Analytical Grammar right now. I hate to spend $100 on it when we have R&S 2-8 and thus never really should have to spend $ on grammar. But, if it's not working, it's not working. 

I have a similar issue. I don't think I actually learned grammar as a kid or in college, just squeaked through somehow...

The best grammar curriculum I found was the First Language Lessons written by Jessica Wise (http://peacehillpress.com/grammar/). I decided that I want my children to be able to write well and with ease. Susan Wise Bauer writes better than anyone else I know, so I use her writing curriculum with my kids. It works really, really well for us. Based on that success, we discovered it works wonderfully for my possibly-dyslexic child. It also is the first of many choices I looked at that makes sense to my science/math-based brain.

We did stick with R&S for ds. He understood what I was reading to him, even when I needed to reread it slowly. lol  I'm fine until the 7th grade book! That one makes me cry. ;) I think dd would be fine (maybe) if I could explain it to her, instead of reading it together. But I don't understand it enough to do that. If I studied it the night before, it'd probably work. But time is limited! I'd like to use it in other ways! Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions! I've been looking over them. I think we're going to stick with something that diagrams. She likes that and being a kinesetic learner, it works for her. I'm looking at Analytical Grammar right now. I hate to spend $100 on it when we have R&S 2-8 and thus never really should have to spend $ on grammar. But, if it's not working, it's not working. 

Is there any possibility that your son could teach grammar to your daughter?  I imagine it would serve to solidify his knowledge also.

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 months later...

Jennifer, I've had a totally different experience. The checking of the spiral review has helped me a lot as well as the way it's taught.  If it helps the 7th grade level and up has even more help. I'm not sure why it starts at that grade level, but in the 7th grade "We Remember" review sections, there are page number references to their grammar handbook.

http://clp.org/products/cle_english_handbook_767

I never was taught any grammar. I quite liked KISS. It is quirky and different but very straight forward after you get it. I've done a little of it with DS8 and he has liked it. Lewelma has some posts about using with her DS. I think it is a great program but you should search for better  info.. the website sucks... how to teach it is counter-inuitive, but after the steep learning curve you have a great, fun, free resource to teach all of grammar.

The only bad grade I ever got in high school was in grammar (a D!) We use Analytical Grammar and I am re-learning right along with my kids (7th graders).  She has a very easy way of explaining things and it gives me enough confidence that when the kids get stuck I can explain it or we can figure out the answer pretty easily.  My 5/6th grader uses Junior Analytical Grammar.  It provides a great base and I think it would be appropriate from as early as 4th grade.

IEW's Fix It!? 

I have never used it, but I'm considering it, and I don't use IEW's writing materials. 

ETA: If you can watch the webinar on Fix It!, there is a chart on what each level covers at about the 0:51:00 mark. Too bad that chart is not on their site with the placement tests. IEW has a great return policy, so it might be worth it. You purchase the teacher's manual and then download the student's book and print off what you need. 

This is our only grammar program since DD also does Latin.  While Latin has helped her tremendously in understanding grammar, Fix-It has been the only grammar program DD has liked and actually learns from and retains.  It's open and go.

We started with the Nose Tree as recommended.  DD is actually doing most of the advanced concepts without me even pointing them out to her. She has grammar 2X/week.  We just started doubling up the exercises so that she does one complete lesson on Tuesday and one complete lesson on Thursday.  We will dive right into the next book once this one is done.  I plan to stick with this program.  It's quick, easy to implement, and does the job.

This is the only IEW product we use.

Well...I do have those diagramming sheets. I'm going to start them today. I'm also going to buy a copy of LA 6 for myself to do . I need to get this sorted, she's the oldest of 7 (once the twins hit the ground next month) and I need to get this stuff nailed so I can help them ALL with it :).