Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 37

Robin M

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have read two from the short list. Not overly impressed thus far.

And for those who like that 'Southern Gothic' look...imagejpg1-1.jpg

Have to say I am glad the two of you were able to meet but I would have loved to be there too. Beautiful setting....very appropriate for my current read. Yes still plugging slowly through the Midnight in the Garden ;)

Toggling back and forth between four books is making me feel all :willy_nilly: One is whispersync so I'm moving between listening and reading, one is a paper back so that gets put down and mislaid occasionally and the other two are straight-up ebooks. I'm enjoying them all but with four going I'm not able to fully sink into any one in particular so I read a bit here of one and a bit there of another and I end up never feeling like the inner landscape is unfolding with them. And yet I can't get myself to read just one at a time :cool:

When I read many simultaneously I frequently read to a point where it must be finished and finish one off pretty quickly. Try to read a few pages a day on the others so I don't forget.

Obviously it is snack time & the King of the Jungle (even though he's not a jungle animal) wants to make sure Tippi gets the right snack out. They're probably pulling it out in time to kick back in front of the tv & watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom....

Huge Tippi fan here. Odd fact.....she is Melanie Griffiths mom.

Sorry this is disjointed. We are traveling again.

I'll reveal my (prior) ignorance here and confess that I had to use Wikipedia to identify Tippi Hedren.  She sounds like an interesting woman.

Regards,

Kareni

I too had to go to Wikipedia.  While I love Hitchcock films, The Birds is not one that I need to view again.  Or Psycho for that matter.  I am more of a Vertigo/Rear Window gal.

But on the Tippi Hedren theme...the lions are not what they seem?  That Life  magazine cover is amazing!

Ok, with the Tippi Hedron & The Birds talk, did you know there was actually a Barbie created of it?

http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/doll/alfred-hitchcocks-birds-barbie-doll-l9633

Just wrong. So wrong. Rofl.

:lol:

In a whiny little girl's voice, "But Mommy, if you really loved me, you'd buy me a Birds Barbie."

(Actually the Barbie is a "collectible" one, so it was never really released for some kid to play with, but rather for someone to buy and display instead. How do I know this? For a long time, my mom & sister collected dolls, so I've seen more than my lifetime share of dolls, doll catalogs, etc.... But, they never had The Birds doll. Lol.)

When I read many simultaneously I frequently read to a point where it must be finished and finish one off pretty quickly. Try to read a few pages a day on the others so I don't forget.

I've decided to complete the library book first, Claire of the Sea, and then move onto the 5/5, The Ivy Tree, and from there finish up the Emily Dickinson. The non-fiction book I'll continue to read as I feel moved since it doesn't tend to dilute the way reading several fiction books at once does for me. Okay, all set. :D

Have you all seen the request by SWB to remove all photos and text copied from the internet?

I just took down my Tippy/lion photo, but am gone for the rest of the day and can't start house cleaning all my photos!

Fortunately I don't think I've posted much that hasn't been my own, and other than Tippy and the lion I think what I've posted has been in the context of book discussions...

Will check in tonight to see what the latest is...

Okay folks. Any pictures that you didn't take personally - please remove from threads.   The copy write gremlin has caught up with SWB and WTM.   See her posts at the top of general education board.

Don't know exactly what happened but remember a lawsuit that occurred with blogging and copy write,a year or so back that affected everyone blogging and if they didn't want to get sued for copywrite infringement, had to remove items from website.

ETA:  Whoops didn't see all your posts - you are a jump ahead of me.  Lots of work to do and I'm about to head out the door.  Guess I know what I'll be doing during my free time for the next few days.  :gnorsi:

I am not clear on book covers though. They are photos we have not taken but it seems that the cover is often shown in a book review. 

Book covers should be okay if take directly from publisher website, author website or public domain.   

The main issue is celebrities it looks like so say goodbye to all the handsome hunks..

Last night I finished Breaking Danger: A Ghost Ops Novel by Lisa Marie Rice which I enjoyed.  It's the third book in a series which definitely should be read in order.  I enjoyed it, but I believe that conservative readers would not.

"They are the Ghost Ops: a covert squad of super-elite soldiers. After their team was betrayed and massacred, only three members survived. Going underground, they built Haven, a community of misfits and geniuses. And now everything has come down to one final battle and only one man and one woman can stop the world from burning.

Beautiful brilliant Dr. Sophie Daniels is trapped in her home with the only antidote to the plague. Former Ghost Ops elite operative Jon Ryan is sent on a suicide rescue mission, brutally fighting his way to her side. Together they must cross treacherous terrain before they can return to Haven. But for them to succeed, Sophie must trust this tormented soul and place her life, and her heart, in his hands.

Years of combat training has prepared Jon for this moment. Unafraid, nothing is too dangerous now that he’s found Sophie. He will risk everything, fight anyone, for her and a future filled with hope and love."

Regards,

Kareni

Book covers should be okay if take directly from publisher website, author website or public domain.   

The main issue is celebrities it looks like so say goodbye to all the handsome hunks..

I see a lot of people with book pictures that link to the Amazon listing.  I think they used to have a hyperlink or widget for it, too?  Would that be ok?

I finished One Second After.  Meh.  3/5 stars.  I have some issues with it.  It did make me cry like a baby, but I wouldn't read it again. 

Okay, I have been back through my easy posts that sort for me and edited my quotes and removed all pictures to sometime in October 2013.

Question about author photos.....can they stay or not? I have a quote with a Borges that I left thinking books and we are BaW.....

I refuse to delete my beefcake photos of Anton Chekhov. TMZ can have all the conniptions they want.

Seriously though, I saw my photo of Jean Genet in an old post was gone. It would have been more than half a century old; is there some other reason to think it might have disappeared? I'm very much a techno-idiot about these things.

Stacia, there has to be some way of getting your avatar back.

I refuse to delete my beefcake photos of Anton Chekhov. TMZ can have all the conniptions they want.

Seriously though, I saw my photo of Jean Genet in an old post was gone. It would have been more than half a century old; is there some other reason to think it might have disappeared? I'm very much a techno-idiot about these things.

Stacia, there has to be some way of getting your avatar back.

My husband is now wondering if I can be trusted with the Internet while he is at work.  Humph.

From The Boswell Blog:

Johnson: Were Socrates and Charles the Twelfth of Sweden both present in any company, and Socrates to say, "Follow me, and hear a lecture in philosophy;" and Charles, laying his hand on his sword, to say, "Follow me, and dethrone the Czar;" a man would be ashamed to follow Socrates.

---------------------

Well? Whom would you follow?

Yikes, whole baw post from 2013 are being deleted. Oh my babies!!!!   As long as they are deleting anything from 2014, I won't have a heart attack.  Work fast my chica's!

Go to my content, click on only posts and start scrolling.  You can click on the number in the right hand corner of the post and it will take you right to the post to edit.

Yikes, whole baw post from 2013 are being deleted. Oh my babies!!!! As long as they are deleting anything from 2014, I won't have a heart attack. Work fast my chica's!

Go to my content, click on only posts and start scrolling. You can click on the number in the right hand corner of the post and it will take you right to the post to edit.

Can you tell what's getting entire posts deleted? Photos of books, or photos generally?

:(

Well the BeeGees in gold lame are gone. That same thread had Rod Stewart and The Captain and Tennile that others had posted.

Thank you..

40 pages of posts and I have deleted every picture not my own and those that quoted.  Took me a couple hours but done.

Remember the ones quoted as well and delete those too.  If we can take care of the worst offenders like the bw 1 thread for 2014, hopefully we won't get anymore deleted.  Once you are on a role, it will go pretty quick. Be merciless. We may have a bunch of nm posts but at least we'll still have the threads.

Well the BeeGees in gold lame are gone. That same thread had Rod Stewart and The Captain and Tennile that others had posted.

I just made the suggestion on the General Board that we "like" posts we see that look problematic. When I was going through BAW posts, I saw many that would or might violate copyright. How would other BAWers feel about us all "liking" anyone's BAW post that looks concerning? It would be a lot more efficient. (Of course we's often have to "unlike" them first.) Then we could have a quick notification of problems and not risk large-scale deletion.

Same me ... new face.  I emailed the artist that did my old avatar and asked about buying an electronic copy to use as an avatar.  Until then I'm real me.  

40 pages of content gone through, all images deleted as well as quoted posts with others' images. That took a couple of hours...

I think I'm done with my list too.  I can't find anything else. 

If anyone see's anything I've missed please let me know ... liking it is a great option.

Yeah, no pictures definitely takes away the fun. :(

I'm taking a dystopian break to finish The Two Towers tonight.  Then I think I'm reading Alas, Babylon before I go back to Return of the King.  I was listening to Eyes of the Dragon but just am not getting into it.  It might partly have been because my van a/c died on my two hour trip so I was sweating to death and it was hard to concentrate.  I hope it picks up. 

Just did my initial purge of images.  Hit "like" on a few posts I saw from other BaWers that hadn't been edited yet, just to draw attention to the posters.  

Stacia and Shukriyya -- wish we could help you edit!!  Stacia, you especially have such lively and colorful posts!  We all need to start doodling then post photos of our little stick figures!  

Gals, I'm sincerely sorry if I am the cause of BaW threads getting deleted.

I've been working for hours now & am almost done with my 2014 posts. Since I have over 9,000 posts here, this may take me approximately... forever, esp as most of my posts on this board have some type of pic or graphic in them.

It's 3:30am my time & I am exhausted. It may be easier to have the board gods just smite my posts to oblivion...

:-(

If you could all, please, think positive, happy thoughts for me for tomorrow morning.  My little guy is starting at a local Jewish Montessori school tomorrow morning.  ...not something I thought we would be doing.  ...but it seems to be the right thing for this child, this year.

:grouphug:

Be jealous all!

Stacia and I spent the day together at Brookgreen Gardens in SC.  It was our private homeschool convention (not!)

So very, very jealous! :D The Gardens look lovely and I would have loved to have been there. I'm so happy that I got to meet Stacia back in May, very briefly, but at least we got to meet. Jane, I hope to someday meet you also. :)

Have you all seen the request by SWB to remove all photos and text copied from the internet?

I had absolutely no idea. I've been so busy for the past week or so. Must go and read what that post/thread. Wow. I'll seriously miss all the visuals and pictures. This will take a while. How long do we have? I'm super-busy for the next few days. 

Okay folks. Any pictures that you didn't take personally - please remove from threads.   

Thanks, Robin. 

I am not clear on book covers though. They are photos we have not taken but it seems that the cover is often shown in a book review. 

Yes, I wonder about this also. I usually copy images from amazon or Good Reads. 

Good to know. 

Yeah, no pictures definitely takes away the fun. :(

:iagree:  :(. 

Just went through and deleted book covers. I have left a couple of YouTube links quoted. Pretty sure these are fine but if they need to go no problem.

I didn't go through whole threads but where I saw any image on others posts I liked you. Please do the same for me because I am only back in October 2013.

One very sad discovery is I have noticed who is missing from our current threads. :( I knew some were taking a break but more than I realised.

Thank you VC for the link which required a delete.  I usually don't post celebrity photos.  Well, there was that one of David Tennant in a red dress, but I have removed it.

I have followed with your idea of unliking/liking posts that have material that needs scrubbing.

I think I have cleaned up most of my 2014 posts.  Stacia, you have two with licensed characters that I unliked/reliked so you can find them.