Menu

Geography...Legends & Leagues is a bit of a disappointment

kirstenhill

I had been planning to add in a once-a-week Geography time as part of our "all together" family subjects -- which is kind of a "snuggle on the couch and read" sort of a time in our day.   My kids love anything in the form of a story, so I was excited about the idea of the Legends and Leagues geography from Veritas press.  I bought "Legends and Leagues South" and figured we would do that and one other of the books this year.  I didn't read the fine print very closely, and didn't realize what a short book it would be! I skimmed the book, and compared to other "teaching in the form of a story" type books, it is pretty light on actual teaching content.  I didn't buy the workbook since I wasn't really looking to add busywork or comprehension questions...but maybe all the actual teaching is in there.  I am not thrilled about the idea of buying a $20 workbook to go along with my tiny $12 story, only to have to spend another $32 next semester for another L&L book/workbook. 

We'll do some of the map work in MOH this year to get a bit of the historical map work in, and DS7 will do Evan Moor Beginning Geography once a week to learn very basic map skills.  DD has already learned her states and capitals, so I am more looking for something in the ilk of modern World Geography and geography terminology, without adding a lot of busy work or a full geography program (not something we have time for on top of ancients).

Do I just suck it up and spend $20 on the workbook for Legends and Leagues and do it all together during read aloud time...or does anyone else have a better idea that fits what I'm looking for? Or should I just find a library book to read aloud each week on a geography theme and call it good?

• 2 weeks later...

We absolutely love this. I wasn't sure we/I would like it, but it's amazing. SO worth the $20. Also, it's meant to last an entire year for grammar age students. I bought it for my 4th and 2nd this year, and am kicking myself for not having done it sooner! The books are amazing quality and the printing is high quality, too. :) Sorry to add this so late, but it popped up in a search on here! :/