Menu

s/o Essays for Lit Class

The topic of how to find essays came up in another thread.  I found a syllabus for a college English class in my copy of The Norton Reader.  It looks like it is a 100 level course with about one essay per class period to read, 4 essays and a research paper to write.

Here are the assignments:

Edited:  Removed list of essays read. 

Also, for what it's worth, two of the four essays are marked to be written in class.  They are the first two and I imagine that the idea is that the class period is devoted to writing them, with teacher help if needed.

www.benjatos.com is a high school teacher who posts essays and short stories he has pulled to use in his classes.  He writes a small summary, talks about usability, and then links to the piece.  Some there is also some short form journalism.  Originally he wrote every day, but has spread it out to once a week or so. 

Thank you for sharing this site. I remember reading about Joan Didion's husband dying, but I had never read what she wrote about it. Very powerful.

This is a fantastic thread, Sebastian; thank you for starting it.  I didn't realize, at the time, that my OP would lead me to inserting essays into my ds's reading list.  I think it's exactly what my original list needs.

I'm grateful for your list above and look forward to reading your favorites list for this year.   Anyone else have suggestions?  I'd love to read them!

Thank you!

NM I realized I asked a dumb question when I reread your OP. Will come back after school with a few suggestions.

DS actually really liked Death of a Moth.

My ds and I read this last year.  He thought it was interesting, but only ok, while I really liked it.

This line of discussion brings up something for me personally.  I've never really separated the shorter pieces my ds reads as either short stories or essays.  For some reason, everything that wasn't a novel was a short story. :huh:  I'm happy to be enlightened!