Menu

Singapore Math vs Math in Focus

Guest valborga

Guest valborga

Hello, I'm interested in information on the pros and cons of the Singapore Math curriculum vs the Math in Focus curriculum. Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, would you please advise.

Thank you,

Val

I've used both.

Singapore Math is a lot easier to adjust per child. Add the extra practice book for children that need more practice. Add the intensive practice or word problems book for children that need more challenge. Add one of those a few chapters behind for review. There are so many components you can really mix and match for a perfect fit and pace. But you pay for all those books in having to deal with all those books. It is a LOT of shuffling around. And I feel like if you DON'T use several of the books you aren't really getting the benefit of the program.

MIF, on the other hand, is easier to implement. I don't have to study how to teach the lesson before-hand the way I did with Singapore. It is so clearly explained, step by step in the text book, that I can teach as we go through it. I don't think this is an issue to parents more familiar with Asian math or just stronger in math in general, but it was for me. In Singapore I was studying every weekend for the coming weeks lesson to understand how to present it. MIF makes sense to my American brain. But I do wonder if that means it is easier? I've compared scope and sequence and they look the same to ME but I suspect Singapore is the more rigorous program.

I'm only familiar with years 1 and 2 of each, and looking forward to more informed opinions.