Menu

christian authors/ books

raindrops

One of my favorite authors is Richard Foster. I love his Celebration of Discipline. It's pretty meaty.

Brother Lawrence's Practicing The Presence of God is a quick but deep read.

Anne Lamott has some rough-around-the-edges, solidly God-centered reads--Bird by Bird, Operating Instructions, and my favorite one, Traveling Mercies are all funny, deep, and thought-provoking. She's a bit of an acquired taste, but I love her.

Broken: 7 "Christian" Rules That Every Christian Ought to Break as Often as Possible, by Jonathan Fisk - one of the things I liked about this book was that he spent equal time presenting the Gospel as discussing the seven wrong answers that masquerade as the truth.  So often books spend 90% of the time discussing the wrong views and the right view, the Gospel, is practically an afterthought. 

The Hammer of God, by Bo Giertz - it seems like everyone I respected was recommending this book.  Finally I read it, and it was indeed awesome and completely worth reading :thumbup:.

I like reading the lives of modern day saints.  Father Arseny, St. Elizabeth (of the Romanov family), Mother Maria of Olenets, Abbess Thaisia, St. John Maximovitch, to name a few.  As an Orthodoxy Christian, I can also recommend "Common Ground" by Jordan Bajis if you're interested in learning about Eastern Christianity. 

Best to you! 

One of my favorite authors is Richard Foster. I love his Celebration of Discipline. It's pretty meaty.

Brother Lawrence's Practicing The Presence of God is a quick but deep read.

Agree on both. Richard Foster also has a very practical, tangible book about prayer that is worth reading.

Oh!

I also liked these:

http://www.quiettime.org/

Garden Tryst

Change Your Life  Daily

Seconding:

The Hammer of God

One Thousand Gifts

C.S. Lewis

The Hiding Place

Richard Foster

Adding:

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer - lovely old book, devotional but very substantial too

Knowing God by J. I. Packer

Desiring God by John Piper

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber

Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas - history book but read like a novel, inspiring bio of William Wilberforce

poetry of Christina Rossetti - love this when I am reflective

poems of George Herbert - discovered these in the dark night of my high school experience and have loved many of them