Menu

Dynamic Literacy: Word Build...Anyone Familiar?

jpklehm

I am struggling with this vocabulary/morpheme curriculum for a couple reasons:  1, it seems very teacher-intensive, and 2, the

teacher guide is very "busy" and, therefore, very confusing-not straightforward at all.

I hate to admit this because in ten years of homeschooling, I have never wanted to ditch a curriculum after only one day...but I really

want to ditch this after only one day!  I think I may have made a mistake at the Cincinnati Midwest Homeschool Convention, where I

purchased this.  I made only 2 purchases and this was one of them.

Ok, so does anyone have experience with this curriculum that can help me understand it a bit and keep me from ordering Wordly

Wise, our dear, dear friend for the last many years, from Rainbow Resource?  I don't want to waste the $53.36 I spent on this but

the struggles I had today working with it were frustrating.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!

I bought it for one of my kids one year. I didn't have good success with it because it required too much time from me, and I chose to invest more time in other subjects. I had liked the program in theory, but it didn't work well in reality.

I ended up switching to Vocabulary Workshop which I like much better than Wordly Wise.

For 6th-8th I have just started using a 1950 out of print book which I am incredibly impressed with called Word Wealth Jr. It takes time for me to work with my child, but only 10 minutes, or 15 at the most.

I'm trying it right now (elements level 1). The first sit-down with it left me with the same feeling. We are progressing slowly and right now I'd say it doesn't really take more than pp's 10-15 minutes per day, but it is teacher-involved (designed more for classroom use). I'm going to stick with it for now for the sake of all the puzzles/games b/c DD is geeked out about them (plus the computer game). Drills/repetitiveness is disliked around here, and I was afraid we might be heading down that path with vocab from classical roots, the alternative I seriously considered. But we are doing a lot of teacher-involved stuff (some of that is due in part to my inexperience homeschooling, especially an older kid), so it has certainly crossed my mind whether, as pp stated, I should in be investing my time in other subjects instead?

If it matters, DD is a natural speller and easily grasps the morpheme/affix/suffix concepts.

Thank you for your feedback.  I'm also using Elements Level 1.  We've used it through this week and I am warming up to it a bit.  I've learned (about myself) that simple is better.  As I was thinking about the curriculum I have chosen over the years, I do search out materials that get to the point and and aren't colorful or distracting.  (Perhaps this is why I like Growing With Grammar and Wordly Wise.)  My sons have done well with these types of materials, too, so it's a win-win. 

Which is why, when I opened the teacher's guide to Elements Level 1, I was blown away (and not in a good way).  I was overwhelmed with all the type...WAY too much going on.  I am surprised a bit by how I reacted, but with some homeschool-curriculum soul searching (lol), I made these realizations.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with this for now because I think I understand it more and am willing to put in the 15 minutes a day (or less for me) to have my ds learn about morphemes.  We'll see how it goes.

Again, thank you!