Menu

DS can't spell

nrself

My 11 year old ds, who reads at a high level, has great comprehension and amazing speed, can't spell worth a darn.  Today he was writing "quote" and he spelled it "qoute".  This has been going on for some time.  He can't be using phonics when he spells; has to be trying to spell from sight, right?  I put him in AAS last year and we've been through two levels.  Sometimes I think I've just been a bad teacher and he's lazy.  And sometimes I wonder if we are dealing with a form of dyslexia.  His older brother is dyslexic, but the regular kind if there is such a thing.  Probably Dad and Grandma too.  

This ds reads fabulously.  But his writing is horrendous and his spelling atrocious.  He hates anything that forces him to put pencil to paper, especially narrations.  And he hates math because he can't seem to get the facts memorized.  

Ugg.  First day back stinks.  I guess I just need some hugs.

Nicole

My 11 year old ds, who reads at a high level, has great comprehension and amazing speed, can't spell worth a darn.  Today he was writing "quote" and he spelled it "qoute".  This has been going on for some time.  He can't be using phonics when he spells; has to be trying to spell from sight, right?  I put him in AAS last year and we've been through two levels.  Sometimes I think I've just been a bad teacher and he's lazy.  And sometimes I wonder if we are dealing with a form of dyslexia.  His older brother is dyslexic, but the regular kind if there is such a thing.  Probably Dad and Grandma too.  

This ds reads fabulously.  But his writing is horrendous and his spelling atrocious.  He hates anything that forces him to put pencil to paper, especially narrations.  And he hates math because he can't seem to get the facts memorized.  

Nicole

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

And a recommendation: Spalding. Always Spalding. :-)

Phonics and spelling are different. That is why he can read well but can't spell.

If you have dyslexia in the family then yes, your child may be a stealth dyslexic.  And I agree with Ellie, phonics and spelling sometimes dovetail well in a person's brain and without a ton of explicit instruction but for many they don't.  Either spelling, phonics or both can be problematic but reading and spelling abilities may present very differently with each child.  

I can't speak to Spalding since I have never used it.

Google stealth dyslexia for some additional info. Also, just skimming through this and watching the video might help although you already know one child is dyslexic so maybe not:

http://www.bartonreading.com/dys.html

What have you used with your dyslexic child?  And what books have you read on dyslexia?  Have you read The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide?

FWIW, my children both improved in their spelling and reading with Barton Reading and Spelling (both are dyslexic but are VERY different in specific strengths and weaknesses) but it is very teacher intense and is definitely overkill for some.  It does have support DVDs for the tutor and a clearly laid out TM.  Although many see it as a pile of rules to rote memorize that is not actually how the program is supposed to be used.  The rules are presented then internalized through different methods of presentation and experience.  

Offering up more hugs and support.

My DS is similar--very strong reader, poor speller. I started him on AAS last year (grade 5, 10 yo) and he worked through level 2-5 (mostly). He has made HUGE strides. Understanding the rules behind the spelling made all the difference for him. But it's a work in progress for sure. It is baffling to me how reading and spelling are such vastly different skills, especially since I was a natural speller. No advice on dyslexia as that certainly isn't our issue, but it sounds like it could be worth looking into if his patterns are similar to other family members. Otherwise, I don't think this disparity is uncommon.

Nicole

First day back often has some rough spots.

When he wrote "qoute," did you have him re-read it to see if he could spot his error? Sometimes kids do know the spelling concepts but will mix up letters in their minds--or they come out jumbled. You are not a bad teacher, and he's not lazy. Dyslexia runs in your family it sounds like, and yes, this could be a form of dyslexia even though he reads well. Spelling is often an indicator of dyslexia. Or it could be something else.

If he didn't spot his error, have him build the word with tiles--when he uses the "qu," he'll likely spot it right away. Or have him segment the word by sounds. 

I'd put the qu phonogram and sound card back in daily review for a short time. (In fact, when I start back up after a break, I usually spend 1-2 weeks in review. We'll go over all previously learned phonogram, sound, and key cards, and recent words we've been studying--maybe even half a level to a level's worth of mastered words, just to see what's "sticking" long-term and what might need review after a summer break.)

Hang in there and (((Hugs))). It does get better!

I made stupid spelling errors clear through high school. I didn't realize until I was a Freshman that the it is "does" his homework, not "dose" his homework. I was a Sophmore when I was kindly told by a classmate that it is "maybe" and not "mabey." In fact as a college Junior (minoring in English) I put on my resume in a job description "asses efficacy of anti-viral compounds on cultured cell lines." :O Needless to say I didn't get that job. But I got 5s on both Lit&Comp and Lang&Comp AP tests, and my English minor ;-)

I did fine with Latin and Greek based words, and my science spelling was great, but all those ridiculous ways to spell vowel sounds from French and Norse, and everywhere else threw me for a loop. But for me it just took time to assimilate all the irregularities in English, and not a few embarrassing moments. Your child may just need time too.