Menu

Rod & Staff Spelling help??

savmom

Any tips on how to liven things up a little? Hands on activites we could do besides completing the lessons on colored paper or with markers, colored pencils, etc?

Just going through the books has dd & I both experiencing a wide variety of unpleasant emotions lol

:crying:  :willy_nilly:  :banghead:  :bored:  :wacko:

I love R&S Spelling and she does well with it (which is amazing after all the struggles we've been through with dozens of spelling/phonics the last 7 years).

Unfortunately my creativity-juices quit flowing back when dh became disabled and chronic insomnia has me :sleep:   :sleep: :001_unsure:  :sleep: and now, we are both flying head-on into the permanent burnout zone (not just for Spelling but I figure that's ONE subject I might be able to approach from a different angle with little $$).

Changing to a different curriculum is out of the foreseeable (financial) future so I want to make it a little more fun for her, if possible.

She's in level 4, if that matters.

Tried searching but I never can get the search function to work here, even with google search :p )

Thanks everyone for any advice or suggestions!

If it were my DC I'd tell them to suck it up and worry about fun elsewhere. What are her favorite subjects? I would target my efforts there.

The most exciting we get is practicing the words on a whiteboard. *shrug* It's such an effective and short lesson. Getting it done is its own reward.

Yes, and then it jumps again when you hit book 7, which we just started. The fact that it's no-nonsense is what my dd likes about it. She can do it and be done with it. That said, last week I did add her words to Spelling City and let her spend a few minutes playing the games and quizzing herself after her assignments and she seems to enjoy it. 

When it comes time for the spelling test, I use the words to form a story about my two daughters.  This has become a favorite for the girls, as they are eager to find out what happens to them each week.  One child was chased by trolls, while another wandered a lonely road and consumed brussels sprouts along the way, LOL.  :)  

Well, I have one child that R&S is like pulling teeth with but it is what we have for his age/level, so we use it. I work orally through it with him. We break it up in chunks. I also add the words to spellingcity . Com account and he plays the fun games that go along with it. He is older so cutsie hands on activities wouldn't work for him and flash cards are never used. We do a pretest on Wednesdays and he has to rewrite misspelled words 3 times.