Menu

Refrigerator color question

praisefor3

I have a black dishwasher, black stove, black granite countertops including a large black granite island (hickory cabinets). My refrigerator is about to die. Would a stainless steel refrigerator look ok or would you stick to black? My husband says a black refrigerator would be an awfully big black object In the kitchen and darken it but I'm just not sure that stainless would look good with that mix. The other appliances are fairly new and should last several more years so no replacing those anytime soon (hopefully). My previous appliances were white before this changeover started so either a black or stainless fridge will be new to us. Thanks for the help!

I had a ss fridge with my black dw and stove for 8+ years and loved it.  Now I have all black appliances and like that just fine, too. But my counters and cabinets are very light.  I'd probably go with ss if there were a chance it'd look like a dark cave.

You could try photoshopping a picture both ways!

Stainless looks nice (I've got mix of stainless and black in my kitchen) but shows fingerprints.  Can't put anything on front with magnets either, if that's something you're used to doing.  Personally, I'd go with whatever you feel comfortable cleaning.    My fridge is stainless on front and black on the sides.  If the cabinets are stained light, and the walls are light, then the black fridge would look good.   

Going with a stainless steel makes a lot of sense, considering that your countertops are so dark. But if you do choose ss, go for a cleanable stainless steel. Some are easy to clean, some are a bear. We got a dishwasher that is wipe-able, but our refrigerator is not. If we do not clean it every hour with a special stainless steel wipe and then smooth it with a cloth, it just looks dirty. It's a Samsung fyi.

For me it would depend on where and how the refrigerator stands.

Is it on a wall or space by itself? Is it surrounded by cabinets?

Is it sandwiched between a wall and cabinets?

Really I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

The stainless might be a nice break from all of the black.

But I don't care for the look of stainless, nor the many fingerprints it shows :).

I guess I'm no help LOL.

I just moved into a house with black granite and all black appliances, including a large black fridge — which I hate. We call it Darth Fridge, and it's like a huge black hole in the kitchen. And the fingerprints are actually worse than they were on the stainless fridge in our previous house. I would love to replace it with stainless, but alas, it's fairly new and in great condition. I'm thinking of getting a huge whiteboard to stick on the side of it, so it will look a bit less monolithic.

Our current one is white...because it's the last of the old appliances that have to be changed over since our kitchen remodel with the granite and other new appliances. I really didn't want to change it until I absolutely had to. But since it is now 20 years old, the ice maker hasn't worked for five years, it's leaking at the bottom...I believe the time has come to take the plunge. Lowe's is having a great sale for the next two days and I really don't want to have to choose a fridge and get it delivered when it is an "emergency". (My last stove died on Christmas Eve Eve and I had to get the new one delivered on Christmas Eve. It's fine but I would have liked more time to make a decision and compare models.)

I was holding out again stainless but after reading the responses it sounds like that wins the majority vote and I was especially impacted by the thought of Darth Fridge. haha! Headed to Lowe's tomorrow!

Thank you!

Oh my goodness! I love those! The mint green freezer on the bottom would make me smile every time I walked into the kitchen. It would fit perfectly in my opening too. I am very tempted to cancel the one I ordered from Lowe's. I have been without a properly functioning fridge for almost a month now. If they screwed up my order a second time, I will take it as a sign from God to go with the green!