Menu

Horrible Histories shows

displace

I'm wondering about the horrible histories shows.  I've never seen them but I'm wondering what age they would be good for kids in your opinion.  Thanks!

ETA -- do they show up on cable?  I don't see them on amazon free or Netflix so IDK if I would buy them or not.

There are three seasons of the live action version on Hulu atm. The cartoon is also on there.

I don't think any age would be bad unless you have a big issue with poop, pee, and fart jokes.

My kids love them. My six year old thinks it is high comedy.

YAY!!! I did not know that HH was in Huku. Thanks!!

Note that there are two very different shows with the same name. One is made by CBBC and is mostly live action with silly sketches about historic times. The other is American and animated.

The cartoon was made first but the author of Horrible Histories wasn't very impressed by them. When working on a UK version they just got some comedians together to work on it. Not surprising it is hilarious.

I am rather fond of the Charles II song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8TIrt1s2M&index=4&list=PLBS7Tgp_jChBzuqzgJVnpoWVXkGLRYJ97 But I can't find a better video of it on youtube. 

I wasn't very impressed by the animated show. It's really bland. I had no idea it was made first. Agreed that the CBBC one is freaking hilarious. That guy who is also on The Wrong Mans and Spy who was on there is so funny. He has the best facial expressions.

He's my dd's favorite person on the show, he is hilarious! We just call him Charles II, that probably isn't his real name. :lol:

Sometimes we have to hit pause so we can finish laughing. 

I know nothing about the animated series.

The BBC production is HILARIOUS.  There is lots and lots and lots of potty humor, so I would think that age 7 and up would be a good audience.  But brace yourself:  You'll be singing "Born to ruuuule over you..." in the shower.  Cuz I can't be the only one... :o

..That guy who is also on The Wrong Mans and Spy who was on there is so funny. He has the best facial expressions.

That is Mathew Baynton, and I love his expressions, too! :) I enjoyed The Wrong Mans. What is "Spy"? Link, pretty please!

My dd is currently obsessed with HH. She talks of nothing else and her friends are impressed with all the facts she knows.

Oh wow. I really appreciate you saying that because I would actually have let dd watch it with me.

Depending on the age and the line of the parent Spy could be okay? The violence is all silly, most of the jokes and plots are appropriate, but there's also a fair amount of s*xual humor in Spy. The Wrong Mans is just... totally weird. There's plenty of non-kid friendly content... I'd say teens only for most families.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked on Amazon prime last night, and there are two different "horrible Histories". Which one is more educational? Animated or not? Would be good to add a quick video based on what we are reading in history.

Do you mean on Amazon Instant Video?  I just checked and it's not available through Prime for me. :(

I looked on Amazon prime last night, and there are two different "horrible Histories". Which one is more educational? Animated or not? Would be good to add a quick video based on what we are reading in history.

They are both probably educational but the live action one is HILARIOUS and the author was so fond of them he even has some cameos. The cartoon one is kind of dull.

The best Horrible History is the one with real people. They do have a tiny bit of cartoon, but real people.

http://www.amazon.com/Horrible-Histories-Complete-1-3-Region/dp/B007WMI1X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411479286&sr=8-1&keywords=Horrible+Histories+DVD

Will this play in the USA?  I'd love to get these for Christmas but I don't think they will play in my dvd.  Suggestions?

This one is all regions.

This one is region 2.

For the individual sets like the Vikings, just make sure you check before buying.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  The one we can get to play here (the one with the animated kids) is the one we like less.  It's okay, but the others are just hilarious!  Region 2 we are not, woe is us.

I was ok with them for age 8 and up. I didn't want my boys to have any more potty humor ammo than absolutely necessary. :D

My two girls can sing about the wives of Henry VIII all too well!  We found a live-action series on these gals (one long episode per wife), and the girls declare right at the start what her fate will be ("divorced!"  "beheaded!"  "died!"  "survived!")

OP, we found a lot of the Horrible Histories in snippets on YouTube.  Better than nothing, but I do wish we could get the whole collection in a format that will play here in the U.S.

I ended up buying a second dvd player that can play anything. Cough. I've bought dvds directly from amazon UK -- some are so much cheaper, others aren' available at all.

Hmm, a tempting idea. However, we certainly don't need yet another electronic gadget, remote, cord, and entry on the "how to operate the TV" chart! I think first I will try to plead with the folks at HH to release DVDs for the rest of the regions.

My kids love them.  We watched clips on youtube and then bought on Amazon.  Netflix carries the American animated version which is not as good IMHO.

They were the highlight of DS1's history curriculum last year.  We used CHOW…and then lots and lots of Horrible Histories.  Information was definitely retained….still sings the "We sell any monk" song from the Viking period. ;)

Hmm, a tempting idea. However, we certainly don't need yet another electronic gadget, remote, cord, and entry on the "how to operate the TV" chart!

I totally agree with you, and I knew it was ridiculous at the time....but I still did it! ha. Meanwhile my kids are watching their way through Dogtanian. snort. Next up will be Willy Fog and The Mysterious Cities of Gold (which I thought was available in region 1 in some version). 

They're both available for purchase as digital downloads on both Amazon and iTunes. iTunes also has the Horrible Histories audiobooks available to purchase. The kids and I previewed a few. They were mulit-actor recordings and were hillarious. In case there would be any doubt.

We're watching the live action ones on Hulu+. Most of the videos on YouTube that I had favorited last year were removed. I like the ones on Hulu, but I wish there was an easier way to watch them by historical era.

Another question..... Are the DVD series offered through Ray@HorribleBooks.com the same as the Amazon ones?  He offers the Horrible Histories DVD seasons 1-5 for $80.  I'm assuming those will play on USA dvds?? 

The picture is the BBC live action ones, those are the ones that are good.

http://www.horriblebooks.com/jpg/horriblehistoriesdvd12345.jpg

I have a multi zone player (did involve the holding down of buttons in sequence but my brother did it). This means I can watch US and English stuff (we are in Zone 4). On our spare TV though both Magic School Bus and Popular Mechanics are Black and White. Amazon UK is good for DVDs.

• 1 month later...