Menu

I know there are Doctors and other insurance credentialed people here.....(somewhat JAWM)

Joanne

Ok. So. The plan is, if the numbers from Social Security are sufficient, I am going to quit my part time job and "just" work my full time job and build my private practice.

The quitting will be after paying a few things - paying off a mattress/bed, the remaining credit card balance, the remaining balance for my son's dental work, malpractice insurance, a set of new tires, funding budget envelopes and an emergency fund.

I am also thinking of paying a service to do my credentialing. In order to get on insurance panels, I have to go through the same credentialing as medical doctors. Searches and research tell me to expect to spend between 10 and 30 hours on EACH panel I want to get on. It takes at least 90 days.

My private practice is the "ultimate" plan - it is my hope it will be sufficient in about 3 years (when youngest graduates).

I am thinking that if I can get on a few panels, I will be able to work Tu and Th evenings and Saturdays and make more in less time than the current part time job. I currently have 3 active private clients. Although insurance panels pay a bit less than pay for service, they still pay considerably more per hour than I am making at the treatment job, even when I pay my rent.

I am wiling to work at that treatment job to pay for credentialing. I think I would end up paying about $1200. If I started in Septmember, I would see the credentialing results about when I would like to quit.

I *am* able to go through the process of credentialing myself. But I'm not sure it's the best use of my time. I would make back the $1200 if credentialing brings me 15 clients.

I would not pay for a service if you are the least bit organized. They all ask for the same stuff over and over, just on different forms with different headings. Just get one file cabinet drawer and label it "credentialing". Then have a separate folder for each license you carry, degrees, with multiple copies already made. When you get really good, it should only take about 30 minutes per insurance company.

I did DH's credentialing 2 years ago and more recently did the credentialing for his group practice. I, personally, think you'd be ripped off at $1200. I'm not sure which companies you're looking at, but 90 days is about right on average. BCBS was a bit quicker and we're still waiting on Medicaid. Cigna is quite slow - I think close to 6 months. I'm going to call them to follow up this week and I'm guessing the credentialing will "suddenly" be complete once I make the call. 

I definitely did not spend between 10-30 hours for each company. Maybe 10 hrs total. Maybe. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!