Menu

s/I Christmas lists (kids)

athomeontheprairie

I'm sick of toys so those will be limited this year.

My kids want Lego and books.

They also want Disney Infinity.

I'm toying with the idea of new bikes as theirs are all outgrown but we will see how the finances go.

On the highly recommend end...DS2 got some Sand In Motion aka kinetic sand for his birthday. Non messy and non drying...all the kids play with it every day. I'll be buying more for christmas as they fight over it. It isn't cheap....but very worth it.

My ex-husband and I go in on one big gift for each kid.

And then they get a 1-2 small gifts from each of us, separately.

We have big, generous families so the bulk of kids' gifts come from them.

My daughter wants a new wardrobe - she's gone country and wants all western clothes.

We're going to re-do her closet. It's 8' x 8' and I want to split part of it off into a dressing area.

I picked a paint color and got a full-length mirror off of craigslist.

I'm on the hunt for a vanity and chair I can fix up for her.

If I find a cheap chandelier, I'll get one. And I'll make some fancy drapes to replace the closet doors.

I'm on Pinterest trying to find the best ways to display/organize jewelry and hair crap.

And we'll get her a few western outfits, with the promise to get more as she outgrows her current wardrobe.

But we're not just tossing stuff that fits, no ma'am LOL.

The boys don't really care, but they're older and easy to please.

We're still undecided, but my idea is season tickets to our MLB team.

Our small gifts would be a parking pass, some Visa gift cards for eating there and fan wear.

My ex-husband wants to do a boys' trip, somewhere they can hunt and do man things.

And if he can't get leave to do it, then new gaming laptops.

We may end up doing rock, paper, scissors this year. It doesn't happen often, but some years we need to!

Oh, just saw your signature with kids' ages.

My youngest is nine, and I have nephews in your kids' age range.

We're getting each family a tent - the kids love camping in our back yard, now they can do it in theirs.

Each boy 6-10 will get a backpack filled with camping necessities :) age-appropriate.

The younger ones will get little play sleeping bags, headlamps, and a book on shadow puppets.

If I can't find a book, I'm going to make my kids make one LOL.

My daughter is getting her closet re-do from us, but here's what she's hoping for from family:

beads for crafting, fabric scraps, NERF guns and bullets, chip board and more acrylic paints.

I still buy for my ex-husband's nephews, who are 4 and 6.

I'm buying a karaoke machine, an extra microphone, and some karaoke CDs.

I think they'll like it. If they don't get the songs right away, just messing with the mike will be fun :D.

Our boys already got their "big" Christmas gifts early. Ds1 moved into his first apartment so we got him a Nutribullet. It's the only way he'll eat his veggies. Ds2 wanted a nice chair for his desk. He thought he'd have to wait for Christmas but when dh got a good look at ds2's current chair--it's in really bad shape and pretty uncomfortable--he decided to get the new one now.

So that's half the shopping done already! :D

For dd1 we are thinking some Legos, some AG stuff and a few small things and taking her to Chicago in the spring to the American Girl store and Shedd's aquarium.

For dd2 we know we are getting her a potty/stool and probably a few toys.

Both girls are the youngest on both sides, and among most of our friends. With the inlaws they are also the last, with my mom dd1 was born 2 days before her 50th birthday and dd2 was born either the day before or day after Jay's birthday (mom's fiancé). Also dd1's birthday is the month before Christmas and dd2's is the month after. So we end up with lots of hand me downs and a barrage of toys in a 3 month span.

The boys are suddenly re-interested in the wooden play castle that's been in the closet. Unfortunately, the Melissa and Doug brand knights/kings/figures were crap quality and fell apart long ago, so I was thinking about investing in some quality figures for the castle for them. 

I want to add to their Magnatile collection (love those things!).

Marco wants more books, I think - for all the chaos that child can create, he LOVES being read to. Anyone have recommendations for a 2 year old and books? He enjoys vivid illustrations and words that "flow" well.

DD13 is hard. She doesn't ask for much, has already the things she really cares about, BUT doesn't like just getting gift cards (she still wants things to "open"). I'm really not sure what to get her. She is my Harry Potter obsessed, Dr. Who loving, Teen Wolf enjoying gal, who likes EVERYTHING quite a bit, but isn't really passionate about anything that can be "opened", lol.

I only have dd9 and her birthday is in November so I shop for both at once and decide closer to her birthday what she gets when.  Her major gift is a digital piano(used) that she will probably get for her birthday because she has progressed significantly with her piano lessons and is beginning to need it. She wants a drum set but I am getting her a snare drum to see how she handles the situation(doesn't drive us bonkers just banging on it). I am also probably going to get her a chemistry set when I place the big order from Mindware. Her major requests for small stuff are rainbow bands and duct tape. I plan to order some of both.

I don't even know.  :lol:

It's about that time around here, though - the time I try to get the kids to start thinking about what they'd like, for the grandparents' lists and such.  

My grandparents stick to the list pretty well, and when they get stuff 'off the list' it's good stuff.  The last couple years they've gone for bigger gifts and then a couple little things per kid (trampoline a couple years ago, etc).  Last year they did gift cards and we all went up to TRU for them to spend them.  Etc.  (We celebrate Christmas with my grandparents when they visit us in November).

My ILs aren't so good with a list.  If they ask for a list, I give it to them.  There have been some standout years where they did excellent.  

DH and I are SUPER picky about what we get them at Christmas.  We always have been (I literally remember standing in the aisle in TRU looking at PEEK-A-BLOCKS when Link was a baby and the two of us going over whether or not it would be a worthwhile purchase!  :lol: ).  

Last year we got each of the boys a 3DS.  So this year, games, probably.  Pink is still at an easy age.  The last couple years the boys have been harder, but I'm hoping that will start getting easier this year again.  *fingers crossed*

Astro's birthday is in November and Link's is in February, so I end up feeling like we've got waaaay too much junk (toys) over those few months lol.  

It's September 1st  .   Are we already thinking about Christmas?  :confused1:

Um, yes?  :confused: :lol:  

Everyone has their reasons.  My grandparents shop in October so they have everything ready when they come visit.  A lot of times, DH and I  shop in October.  I'm not married to doing it that early anymore, but we used to.  :)

My dds are teens now.  The 14 year old wants a major lego piece (think $60+), box of lego bricks,  some books, clothes, couple dvds.  !8 yr old hasn't given her list yet :)  Youngest dd's birthday is this Fall so she will get one Lego thing (construction set or bricks) for birthday and one for Fall.

We usually get useful things for Christmas and some fun things.  I always buy socks, mittens, hats, and/or scarves.  Stocking stuffers include favorite candy, special soaps, lip balm, gift card (itunes, Starbucks, etc).  A lot depends upon what they need.  Last year, one needed jeans and really wanted some bling jeans, so that was a good gift. 

When they were 8, they really enjoyed craft and building sets.  Wooden block/construction sets were always a big hit.  Playmobile was always a major it too.  Some Barbie, some stuffed animals....they were both enjoying Webkinz then.  Crayon sets were popular too.  Youngest has asked for oil pastels this year for her birthday.  I'm thinking that is "grown up crayons"  :)

It's September 1st . Are we already thinking about Christmas? :confused1:

Yes...cause I'm poor and it takes me that long to save for it ;)

And because in Australia September is when the stores start bringing out the Christmas stuff since we have no more major holidays in between. My DS birthday is 9/11 and every year the christmas stuff comes out a week before his birthday.

Some of us really, really hate going shopping in the Christmas season crowds. If I can avoid a trip to the toy store during the holidays this year I will be very happy. I have a recurring fantasy that involves me not having to go shopping between the week before Thanksgiving and about mid-January. I have not yet succeeded in doing this but I hope to someday.