Menu

Need your help :-o Using Teacher's Editions, BJU, Independent learning

TwoEdgedSword

I'm coming from homeschooling based on Charlotte Mason and MFW type methods and we are gradually switching some of our kids, for some subjects over to textbook method.

Say for BJU Heritage Studies or Abeka history, which grade levels do you think the Teacher's Edition is necessary? We have Kindergarten through high school kids, so I welcome your input on any level!

I'd like to have our kids working independently on some subjects where possible.

If there's another curriculum out there that you feel is thorough where the child works independently, please lMK! I do use CLE for some things.

Many thanks!!!!!! :-)

With BJU every level needs the TM. I imagine ABeka is the same because the materials are originally designed to be taught by a classroom teacher. Have you looked at the distance learning options for BJU? 

We are doing a similar switch here.  We have done science 5 and 6 with TM so far.  While I didn't refer to them a lot, they were very helpful and I wouldn't want to go it without them.  For science 7+ we've used the online option which has the TM online (and I only use it for chapter reviews.)  We are starting heritage studies and writing and grammar 7 with TMs this year and have used online high school English before.

For the online science, this option is more than worth the price IMHO.  We get the $99 deal at Christmas.  It has also been worth it for English since I'm not great at teaching this.

This is such s tough one. I don't use the TM very often, (we've done BJU online science 6,7, and now 8), but I'm always glad I bought it. The past couple of years I've used the online TMs. I don't love them, but at least they don't take up space. When the kids review our prep for a test, I'm glad I can just look up an answer or see what the teacher wants them to know.

We are doing a similar switch here.  We have done science 5 and 6 with TM so far.  While I didn't refer to them a lot, they were very helpful and I wouldn't want to go it without them.  For science 7+ we've used the online option which has the TM online (and I only use it for chapter reviews.)  We are starting heritage studies and writing and grammar 7 with TMs this year and have used online high school English before.

For the online science, this option is more than worth the price IMHO.  We get the $99 deal at Christmas.  It has also been worth it for English since I'm not great at teaching this.

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle credits/etc. and planning on the December cycle?  I"m thinking this would be so much less expensive, but I'm afraid to push my kids too early and don't want them to be "behind" if I don't!  We are doing BJU science 6 for my 5th and 6th grader this year.  Any suggestions would be welcome!!

We did BJU Science 5 last year and 6 this year.  I was going to do the online version, but ended up using the money toward our homeschool co-op instead.  It can be somewhat independent even without the videos, but I agree you need the TM.  I read the science lesson to them some times, and let them do it on their own other times.  We use the activity book, which IMO is important unless you were going to do some detailed outlines or note taking.